Safe or Gun Safe Recommendations?

Hey if your still looking they are on mega sale everywhere you look....Tractor Supply, bass Pro, Cabelas, Wal-Mart and many more.

Buy quality, buy size. I have a 650lb Liberty and a 950lb Heritage. For the most part no thief will even waste their time with a safe, they want to be in and out.

Don't kid yourself. The bastages will carry out a safe if it is not well anchored. I decided to build my own, thinking that I could adapt the design to bastage resistant furniture. Now I lock my power tools in it. lol

So about 4 years ago when I was looking for a safe, I went to the Safe House in downtown Nashville. Guy inside told me they had stopped selling Liberty safes because he had to many complaints and bad customer experiences with them not living up to the fire rating and other issues. (I just went to their website to see if they were promoting Liberty safes and doesn't look like it). Not long afterwards, I started seeing Youtube videos where these guys would run Liberty safes through these different tests and they failed miserably against fire and "smash and grab" scenarios. Basically, the opinion was that you would just be paying for slick marketing more than a good safe.

Now we have this story coming out...

With the news from Liberty I think it's safe to say all these companies have a backdoor into their safe. So it's probably a good idea to have the original locks replaced.

With the news from Liberty I think it's safe to say all these companies have a backdoor into their safe. So it's probably a good idea to have the original locks replaced.
What do you think of just removing the serial number?

If there’s a universal default code would that matter?
I don't think there is a single universal code. I understood that there is a master code specific for each safe. The other would seem way, way too suspect. One leak and every safe is compromised? That can't be true.

I could be wrong.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Liberty safe, so don't come knocking.

I don't think there is a single universal code. I understood that there is a master code specific for each safe. The other would seem way, way too suspect. One leak and every safe is compromised? That can't be true.

I could be wrong.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Liberty safe, so don't come knocking.

You’re probably right. But if there’s a way to set your code to whatever you want the original master code should become permanently obsolete.

You’re probably right. But if there’s a way to set your code to whatever you want the original master code should become permanently obsolete.
In the case of Liberty safes, it probably wouldn't matter. I'm sure there are still a few of those YouTube videos around that I saw where they tested the safes and just ridiculed them for how they held up. I get it... I'm not saying they won't stop a smash and grab situation, but they did get pummeled when it came to their fire rating and destructive tests.

I had read online after all this went down with Liberty that in the past, people who had bought used safes or had lost their combinations/codes had contacted Liberty to get the codes using the serial numbers were told Liberty doesn't keep the codes and to contact a locksmith.

So Liberty blatantly lied that they didn't have a way into those safes.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I had read online after all this went down with Liberty that in the past, people who had bought used safes or had lost their combinations/codes had contacted Liberty to get the codes using the serial numbers were told Liberty doesn't keep the codes and to contact a locksmith.

What that might imply is that they’ve been working with the Feds for a while.

WOW...

Got this reply from a safe manufacturer:
Spin dials do not have master codes. Only electronics. We keep a coded version of the code on file but you can either change the combo yourself or have us delete it after you receive the safe and verify you have the combo. We only give the code to the guy who ordered it and if we were personally given a warrant to obtain all of our information they still wouldn't have your code, just a coded version of the code.

VN Store

Back