Safe or Gun Safe Recommendations?

volinbham

VN GURU
Looking to get a safe (probably a gun safe). I've heard to get bigger than you think you'll need. Looking for protection against smash and grabbers, basic fire protection (I live about 2 miles from the nearest station so it doesn't need to be extreme). Would keep a small collection of hand guns plus some other variables.

Have at it.

when you say 'variables' would that include long guns?

I'm not much help on specific models since I inherited my dad's old one. I do know his new one is stout since he had a break-in that forced him to upgrade

I have a field and stream 10 gun safe. It was $299 on sale, $399 regularly at Dicks. 1400 degrees for 30 minutes fire resistant. I also keep my silver bullion in there

when you say 'variables' would that include long guns?

I'm not much help on specific models since I inherited my dad's old one. I do know his new one is stout since he had a break-in that forced him to upgrade

Meant valuables. Don't currently own any long guns - if I get one it will likely be a tactical shotgun for HP and I'd probably keep it out.

I live by myself but would put stuff up when company comes over.

I agree that bigger is better in this case. My friend owned a couple of gun safes, unfortunately I don't know what the brands were. He had one with a traditional dial, and the other was a finger/hand print reader. He said he liked the electronic one better because he could unlock it very quickly.

Don't know if you had one or the other in mind, but that was my buddy's recommendation. I would imagine you could potentially encounter problems with it if it's not maintained well though...

How big do you need it and what are you willing to spend?

Size: not sure - at this point just have 3 hand guns to store plus other misc docs/valuables. Don't want to under buy though in case I do move to some long guns - can't imagine more than a couple though.

Price: Ideally no more than about 500-700.

you don't necessarily get it too big but a standing case isn't small. I have 5 rifles, ammo and all our docs with plenty of space left over. Pretty sure it has some bins inside the door for smaller items but need to check

Size: not sure - at this point just have 3 hand guns to store plus other misc docs/valuables. Don't want to under buy though in case I do move to some long guns - can't imagine more than a couple though.

Price: Ideally no more than about 500-700.

Canon is generally considered pretty good for it's price point. (varies by size of course)

Liberty has a good rep and their Centurian line is priced well.

Also be sure to look around for used ones. There's a couple on craigslist locally.

Reactions: tbh
Canon is generally considered pretty good for it's price point. (varies by size of course)

Liberty has a good rep and their Centurian line is priced well.

Also be sure to look around for used ones. There's a couple on craigslist locally.

:hi: Local sporting goods/gun shop has the Centurion line. Saw one that would probably work for about $400. It's the 12 gun model. Good to hear they decent.

:hi: Local sporting goods/gun shop has the Centurion line. Saw one that would probably work for about $400. It's the 12 gun model. Good to hear they decent.

It's more or less by definition that any "entry level" safe, regardless of brand, isn't going to do what would be expected of the higher end models. Having said that it beats the hell out of hoping they don't find your stuff in the back of a closet or under some socks.

I'm not sure about your area but I've heard that Tractor Supply Co has some fairly priced safes.

Check if B'ham has any safe companies. The Safe House in Nashville has some scratch and dent sales but you gotta get there quick or there gone.

I have a browning...

24 gun, that's rated for 1200 degress for 60 minutes...

I really thought I wanted the dial lock, but I'm glad I went with the electronic key pad...it's much easier to open

good luck...there's a ton of choice's...I endeded up going with a local gun shop, because they included delivery...Dick's, Cabela's etc...delivery was with a seperate company and just seemed like an extra hassle to deal with

Looking to get a safe (probably a gun safe). I've heard to get bigger than you think you'll need. Looking for protection against smash and grabbers, basic fire protection (I live about 2 miles from the nearest station so it doesn't need to be extreme). Would keep a small collection of hand guns plus some other variables.

Have at it.

Champion safes are great and in Knoxville is a warehouse were they store dings and dents due to shipping and you can get them cheap. I have one from there and it's a great safe it has cup ring condensation rings on top of it but otherwise it's perfect. It was a 13 hundred dollar safe got it for 6

Had my Liberty for about three years now with no complaints. In doing my research, I ran across a couple of things that I considered important:

It needs to be secured to the floor preferably in a small space.
Seriously consider buying a safe that has bolts on the top and bottom.
Safe that has anti-pry protection.

If someone is able to get the safe on it back, it's over. Check out you tube, they have some great videos of guys breaking into safes.

Buy quality, buy size. I have a 650lb Liberty and a 950lb Heritage. For the most part no thief will even waste their time with a safe, they want to be in and out.

I've been researching gun safes and have decided on the Liberty Lincoln safe. It's pricey but one went through the San Diego wildfires and all the contents were saved.

Two more went through EF4 and EF5 tornadoes in MS and TN. Both safes remained locked.

Liberty's website shows two guys breaking into a competitor's safe in one minute and fifteen seconds. They could not get into the Liberty safe.

The model I'm getting has 16 locking bolts. 6 per side and 2 top and bottom. It is fire rated at 1200 degrees for 90 minutes.

I've had a couple of breakins and I'm tired of thieves carrying my stuff off. Especially my guns because of what they are capable of in the wrong hands.

I'm going to The Nashville Safe House in a few days to check out some more brands. The Fort Knox line is very impressive as well.

I've been researching gun safes and have decided on the Liberty Lincoln safe. It's pricey but one went through the San Diego wildfires and all the contents were saved.

Two more went through EF4 and EF5 tornadoes in MS and TN. Both safes remained locked.

Liberty's website shows two guys breaking into a competitor's safe in one minute and fifteen seconds. They could not get into the Liberty safe.

The model I'm getting has 16 locking bolts. 6 per side and 2 top and bottom. It is fire rated at 1200 degrees for 90 minutes.

I've had a couple of breakins and I'm tired of thieves carrying my stuff off. Especially my guns because of what they are capable of in the wrong hands.

I went with the Franklin series myself. Seemed like the features were pretty close in the two minus the fire rating and some of the security features. But overall, it cost almost $500 less and if someone wants in bad enough, it doesn't matter what series past the Franklin you have in my opinion. Keeps the honest people honest and deters most of your common break in type criminals.

Reactions: 1 person
I live out in the sticks and I'm somewhat isolated. The potential is there for a thief to have considerable time to work on my safe. Plus the rural area means the fire dept will be a while getting there.

I am really liking the Fort Knox line and may end up with one of them. 1680 F for 90 minutes versus 1200 F for 60 minutes on the Lincoln. The Fort Knox also has thicker steel and more door bolts including bolts on all four corners. Of course they cost about a grand more. Decisions decisions

I live out in the sticks and I'm somewhat isolated. The potential is there for a thief to have considerable time to work on my safe. Plus the rural area means the fire dept will be a while getting there.

I am really liking the Fort Knox line and may end up with one of them. 1680 F for 90 minutes versus 1200 F for 60 minutes on the Lincoln. The Fort Knox also has thicker steel and more door bolts including bolts on all four corners. Of course they cost about a grand more. Decisions decisions

As with anything that locks, it just slows down someone determined, but won't stop them. Different grades of safe just make it harder.

Again, for common thieves, it will deter them. For someone serious, it'll just take more time.

VN Store

Back