Saban's already crying over Bama's permanent SEC opponents

I think Beamer did some special things last year and will be a problem for us. Hopefully we get those guys at home the same season we don't play Georgia one of these years. I am still not sure if Beamer will do at SC what Freeze and Kelly will do at their schools. I guess some of the seasons we do not see Georgia we will be facing at least one of those guys. So, I am wondering how much of a difference this is really going to make.
The only thing that Beamer did last season was to get lucky and caught both ranked opponents he beat at the right time. Tennessee minus Banks and Clemson's QB situation.

Who did he think he was going to get? There was no way ESPN was letting go of the most competitive high profile SEC West game over the past decade +.

Edit: SEC Game

ESPN has no say in who the 3 permanent opponents will be. This isn't even official. NOBODY know what 3 teams each will have. He's just being a little Bish!!

Kirby is quickly making Nick irrelevant, and Heupel is on their heels.

No he's not. I hate Saban, But he is nowhere near irrelevant. Esp considering they signed the #1 class,again. Saban is the best to ever do it,whether anyone wants to admit it. I wish Ala did suck again, but not while Saban is on the payroll.

No he's not. I hate Saban, But he is nowhere near irrelevant. Esp considering they signed the #1 class,again. Saban is the best to ever do it,whether anyone wants to admit it. I wish Ala did suck again, but not while Saban is on the payroll.
Time will tell. That is, if Saban can maneuver LSU, aTm, and TN to get to the GA game and face Kirby.

Since I live in Bama this is on the tv sports. They say what Saban's issue is, since there will not be any divisions with TX-OK coming in he is saying why play the same 3 teams AL has been playing for the last 20+ yrs. He wants new teams. So not taking up for him, he is still whining, but it makes more sense what he is saying.

How does it make sense? The whole point of permanent opponents is to preserve rivalry games since they are annually the highest rated games, and we know that what the networks want carries huge weight. UT, Auburn and LSU are all fierce rivals for Alabama, and are games people want to see.

Reactions: LadyVolette
ESPN has no say in who the 3 permanent opponents will be. This isn't even official. NOBODY know what 3 teams each will have. He's just being a little Bish!!
Behind closed doors they have a LOT of say.
They want BAMA-LSU, they will get it.
TV ratings will rule the day.
If this was the 90s, they would have forced UT vs UF, and they would get it.

When Saban is whining and crying about something that means its not good for his FB team and should be considered good news for everyone else. I think TX-OK is going to change all the norms in the SEC anyway.
Agreed. Saban doesn’t like it = it’s usually good for the rest of us 😂

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
How does it make sense? The whole point of permanent opponents is to preserve rivalry games since they are annually the highest rated games, and we know that what the networks want carries huge weight. UT, Auburn and LSU are all fierce rivals for Alabama, and are games people want to see.
The LSU Bama game is nasty.. the two fanbases can’t stand one another.. makes for great tv lol

Reactions: sami and dovervolz
Meh, whatever. South Carolina and Kentucky are about equivalent imo. Kinda of surprised they didn’t go with Kentucky if the rumors are true given how many times the two teams have played.

Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with team strengths but history. UK-Tennessee is the second most played series among the 12 SEC pre-expansion schools (only Auburn-Georgia has more). Texas-Texas A&M is also a longer running series.

For those who missed this little gem from Saban.

“They said they did a 10-year whatever,” added Saban. “Well, some of those years, Tennessee wasn’t as good as they’ve been in the previous 10 years, but now they are as good as they used to be before those 10 years."

Last edited:
Reactions: WillisWG
3, Bama, Vandy, and Kentuky.
FqULgLdXoA4phqc

I hate to agree with him but if you compare what Bama got to everyone else they kinda got boned. If you look at it historically it makes sense.. but if you look at it in comparison they got boned. Yes its their 3 natural rivals but every other team got at least 1 partial gimme in their 3. the 2 teams with the next hardest combos are Texas and Vandy. with their weakest opponent being Arkansas and Missouri respectively

I can see his point in comparison but at the same time the matchups make sense as far as best rivalry fits overall. I can see places where one team should swap out one for another but that would cause a big shuffle elsewhere. Honestly, it sucks for them (oh I feel so sorry for them lol) but this is probably the most logical spread. Now they get to feel how it has been for us Playing Florida, Georgia and Bama every year.

Last edited:
I think people are jumping the gun on this. Not because the permanent opponents released are innaccurate; I suspect that is the 3 there will be. But the question is what will the other 8 games look like. We can say UT got a good deal. But if we have a year that is us playing uga, florida, texas and lsu we might not be so thrilled.

I think all the whining is silly anyway. People say the SEC is hard but then complain when they can't pad their 12 game schedule with 4 cupcakes and 5 easy SEC games. My vote would be to play 9 games, only allow a FCS team once every 4 years, and require teams play at least 1 non-conference P5 annually. With a 12 team playoff the good teams are going to have a chance to win it all even if they have a slipup or 2.

I hate to agree with him but if you compare what Bama got to everyone else they kinda got boned. If you look at it historically it makes sense.. but if you look at it in comparison they got boned. Yes its their 3 natural rivals but every other team got at least 1 partial gimme in their 3. the 2 teams with the next hardest combos are Texas and Vandy. with their weakest opponent being Arkansas and Missouri respectively

I can see his point in comparison but at the same time the matchups make sense as far as best rivalry fits overall. I can see places where one team should swap out one for another but that would cause a big shuffle elsewhere. Honestly, it sucks for them (oh I feel so sorry for them lol) but this is probably the most logical spread. Now they get to feel how it has been for us Playing Florida, Georgia and Bama every year.

I can agree, but don't really care. Welcome to the UT schedule since re-alignment. Historically, Bama, UGA, Florida have been the top schools since the re-alignment and we are the only team to play all three every year. Even last year, we played the last 4 national champions if you count the bowl game (Bama, LSU, UGA, and Clemson). Our schedule is just brutal.

If this pod system balances it out a little more then I'm all for it and bama's whining rings hollow.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
HUH?????????????????????????????????? All I did was ask for the link to the Op's post source.
“I don’t know about that” is a line from a popular SNL video. I was just saying we might get these 3 opponents - so Saban has no room to be whining…

What city would you put it in and people wouldn't call bias?

Nashville, home of the Candy Commode-dores, in the (relative) center of the SEC map. It is a UT town overall, but not overwhelmingly so. Plenty of other fan bases are represented here (unfortunately). Plus, it isn’t a dump like Birmingham. Stayed there on my way to Baton Rouge last year and hated that place!

Reactions: Voldog1998
I can agree, but don't really care. Welcome to the UT schedule since re-alignment. Historically, Bama, UGA, Florida have been the top schools since the re-alignment and we are the only team to play all three every year. Even last year, we played the last 4 national champions if you count the bowl game (Bama, LSU, UGA, and Clemson). Our schedule is just brutal.

If this pod system balances it out a little more then I'm all for it and bama's whining rings hollow.

Bama fans never fail to mention that they’re the greatest program ever. Shouldn’t be a problem for them!

VN Store

Back