Saban Retiring?

Saban lives for football he’ll coach into his 80s/90s and if I’m being honest it won’t surprise me if he passes not long after retirement.

Reactions: give_him 6
My hunch is if true, its because he doesnt want to deal with the headaches of NIL/Transfer portal.
I would agree with you but he's shown an insane ability to adapt throughout his coaching career. At Alabama he's gone from winning national titles with shut down defenses + an offense with a great running game and a warm body QB to winning national titles using spread, QB-centric offenses and a bend but don't break defense.

If there's any coach in CFB that epitomizes a "I don't like it, but I'll adapt to it" attitude, it's Saban.

He looked really tired in the last interview I saw him on. His eyes looked bloodshot. I dunno - even without this clickbait article, the guy has run at a pace that would take out most folks. Maybe this was just a bad day for him, and maybe I'm reading way to much into what I noticed. Here's a screen snap.
1640620467147.png

Reactions: give_him 6
He looked really tired in the last interview I saw him on. His eyes looked bloodshot. I dunno - even without this clickbait article, they guy has run at a pace that would take out most folks. Maybe this was just a bad day for him, and maybe I'm reading way to much into what I noticed. Here's a screen snap.
View attachment 423730
my wife. devout sabanite, has been worried about his health for months

Don't listen to me, read it from the Supreme Court, particularly the last paragraph of this article and Justice Kavanaugh's opinion of the NCAA.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sp...-athletes-seeking-more-compensation-from-ncaa
But universities aren’t paying them. It’s privately owned businesses. That would be like me saying that bc I work a lot in a office building, even though the owner of the office building doesn’t pay my salary, he is my employer.

But universities aren’t paying them. It’s privately owned businesses. That would be like me saying that bc I work a lot in a office building, even though the owner of the office building doesn’t pay my salary, he is my employer.
The court is telling the NCAA they SHOULD be paying them and that the court is open to the NCAA being sued by players because they're not being paid. That's the whole point the Supreme Court was making: it's not acceptable to build a huge business on the back of athletes, claim it "has to be amateur" and not consider them workers.

It's right there in the opinion. The use of the word "workers" by Justice Kavanaugh in a formal opinion isn't just some guy talking on the web, it's a formal court opinion on the business the NCAA runs. It's clear they see the athletes as employees.

What would Saban do without coaching in his life?

It sounds like he does not have a lot of hobbies.

What would Saban do without coaching in his life?

It sounds like he does not have a lot of hobbies.
Despite his reputation/image, the dude actually does seem like he has interests outside of football. He has that place on Lake Burton and goes out on his boat, plays golf, plays basketball. Although the only context I've ever heard of him playing basketball is in pickup games with his football coaching staffs.

I thought about 5 years ago (it was probably wishful thinking) that he was one of these guys that wanted to get out of the game with plenty of "time left" and wouldn't want to die on the football field; perhaps not.

I see a retired Saban taking the grandkids out on boat rides, throwing them off the tube, and then reprimanding them for not staying on the tube longer than Eli Manning.

LOL Saban retiring is about as likely as him leaving Bama for Texas. It’s not happening until he is physically unable to do it or there is no enjoyment left.

The guy loves his job. He has that type of personality. He won’t quit until he ends up like Bowden or Paterno puttering around on the sidelines clueless as to what is happening on the field.

He will retire when he realizes he can’t coach the same when NIL takes full force. New kind of recruiting tactics. Can’t coach them hard. Especially if they are making millions. Must treat players differently.

Players will still mostly go where they feel that have the best chance to play and get developed/noticed for the draft. NIL deals won't affect that very much. I highly doubt players will care how hard Saban is on them.

Not sure this is legit since it is on an Iowa thread, of all places.

Thought I would post to see if others have seen anything related to this.

Alabama Coach Nick Saban Retiring

This could be legit. I played a round at the Honors Course Sunday afternoon. I was in the bar post round and struck up a conversation with the guy sitting a few seats down. He told me the same thing…seemed pretty plugged in for an MIT alum. Also told me Gruden is at the top of their short list.

This could be legit. I played a round at the Honors Course Sunday afternoon. I was in the bar post round and struck up a conversation with the guy sitting a few seats down. He told me the same thing…seemed pretty plugged in for an MIT alum. Also told me Gruden is at the top of their short list.
Nice

was he driving one of them Eyetalian sports cars and have buck teeth in the front ?? I think I know him . Likes to eat wood and dam up creeks

Lot of people are going to be shocked when Saban is still prowling the sidelines next year.

Seriously, you guys who think he is going to retire, and then what? He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has a great deal of outside interests. He gonna go work in one of his dealerships and yell at the guy doing oil changes?

Like it or not, Saban is going nowhere. Assuming he has no background health issues (cancer, etc) that would dictate him slowing down, why in the world would he retire now? Not like Bama is slowing down.

When/if he hangs them up while he's still breathing, I would think Bama would want him assisting in choosing their next coach. Possibly even a transition year in there somehow.

Lot of people are going to be shocked when Saban is still prowling the sidelines next year.

Seriously, you guys who think he is going to retire, and then what? He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who has a great deal of outside interests. He gonna go work in one of his dealerships and yell at the guy doing oil changes?

Like it or not, Saban is going nowhere. Assuming he has no background health issues (cancer, etc) that would dictate him slowing down, why in the world would he retire now? Not like Bama is slowing down.

When/if he hangs them up while he's still breathing, I would think Bama would want him assisting in choosing their next coach. Possibly even a transition year in there somehow.

I don’t know what else to tell you, brother. The guy seemed legit to me. Saban is gone.

VN Store

Back