Russell Smith reporting Kellie Jolly-Harper has been hired

I mean she hasn't had a lot of success. I wouldn't go as far to say Pats success was indicative of Holly being around. I would put that more so on Demoss.

Not most important,
most constant
It makes a difference if you don't have to retrain everyone

Higher caliber players can give a path to be a higher caliber coach.
I know I became a better coach when I got to a level of coaching better players
they're better for a reason!
They can do things, think things and see things other kids can't
makes teaching easier and expectations higher

Last edited:
Not a fan of the hire but always liked her as a player and wish her nothing but success.

What’s scary to me if I’m the AD is her next twelve months may define her tenure here. She’ll have to

1) keep everyone but Westbrook on board.
2) keep Jordan Horston on board
3) make NCAA tournament—this will largely hinge on 1/2.
I would think Horston would be pretty happy !

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Not a fan of the hire but always liked her as a player and wish her nothing but success.

What’s scary to me if I’m the AD is her next twelve months may define her tenure here. She’ll have to

1) keep everyone but Westbrook on board.
2) keep Jordan Horston on board
3) make NCAA tournament—this will largely hinge on 1/2.

I agree with most of what you said.

Evina and Eva Westbrook need to leave the team for sure.

Kellie will have a one year honeymoon period as all new head coaches do.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Hire Balcomb, keep Reeves, get a 3rd assistant.

Hubby can stay home and watch the kids. The hubby/wifey thing on the sidelines actually is one of the things that has me worried the most. It works for the Weeklys but softball isn't basketball. And this is TN not Missouri State.
Funny, I’m looking forward to seeing her family on the sidelines, and I think having someone there you can totally trust, is a good thing.

Let’s not blame Holly’s 700,000+ buyout for this bargain hire. That is completely unfair based on the last decade. “In the past 10 years, the University of Tennessee-Knoxville has seen the termination or resignation of two athletic directors, four football or basketball coaches and two chancellors, and buyouts totaling more than $24 million.”

Reactions: cutiepie5
Her gestures on the sidelines are reminiscent of Pat and she sounds a lot like Pat during interviews and a lot of fans will like that.

However, do not expect a reincarnation of Pat, that train has left the station and will never return. If you do you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment. I just want her to be good and take this program back to being one of the best in the country.

328738.jpg.0.jpg

Based on what? There’s next to no recruiting relationship as far as I know. It will be an uphill battle to keep her.
My gut and Kellie has been a point guard and knows how to coach it. She signed and will stay I predict, however my crystal balls are a little cloudy!

If the ‘top’ candidates are not interested and the AD has only limited options, you can’t fault him for going with the best opportunity. I sit and laugh at the fact that people on here actually believe that current top 5 coaches of teams would be interested in coming here. Yeah right. They want to build their own empire, not live off someone else’s. All the money in the world wouldn’t bring them here. At the end of the day you have to hire people who actually want the job.

Some of us live in an unrealistic world and like horses with blinders, can only move in one direction.You are right, top 5 coaches have their own empire, fan base and the money.

Think I’m pretty good with this. Kellie checks a lot of boxes.
She has HC experience. The NC State tenure concerns me but one always learns more from failure than success. I would think that that experience made her a better coach. She had pretty good success with kids that are not nearly the quality she will have at UT. She is going from a nice Buick to a Maserati.
She knows what she is walking into and still had the confidence to pursue it. This is a high profile, high pressure situation and she is ready to go. I always felt Holly’s lack of self confidence spread to the team.
She is very bright. Like 4.0 bright. This should mean better communication skills, player development, game planning and in game adjustments. Honestly, not to pile on but, if I never hear the word “solid” or “I don’t know” in a press conference again I will be a happy camper.
Finally, I wanted a guard centric HC. She could do amazing things with Westbrook, Zay and Horston. If she can get them to her level as player we would be a real FF threat.
I would have been good with Kara or Ivey as well.
I know a lot of folks on here wanted Walz but frankly he always struck me as a complete jack wagon.
So, if it is Kellie welcome home! I am ready for a fresh start! I want to watch the LVs with a sense of anticipation not dread. I want to see one, maybe two actual offenses. I want to see the LVs look like they are having fun!!!!

Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I'll hollaback in 4 years. I'm out!!!!

This is from one of those fans that wanted Fulmer to go after Mulkey, or similar high-profile coach and get that ninth championship immediately...yeah, something very, very unrealistic. I just hope we see a more competitive product on the court, a team that plays the entire game and a coach that knows how to manage and put it all together. I'll be watching and hoping that Harper was a good hire.

If the ‘top’ candidates are not interested and the AD has only limited options, you can’t fault him for going with the best opportunity. I sit and laugh at the fact that people on here actually believe that current top 5 coaches of teams would be interested in coming here. Yeah right. They want to build their own empire, not live off someone else’s. All the money in the world wouldn’t bring them here. At the end of the day you have to hire people who actually want the job.

I think $$$ was the determining factor. We don’t have the $$$ to rebuild football & keep Barnes & hire Waltz
This is why stadium renovation is on hold

Folks I tried to tell you .. the money has gotten tight at the Hill .. especially now ....not surprised at all ...

VN Store

Back