Russell Smith reporting Kellie Jolly-Harper has been hired

I am still a little skeptical This is fourth or fifth post from some supposed insider who proclaims that he she expects Jeff Walz to be named, Wes Moore to be named, Kara Lawson to be named. Kellie Harper seems very realistic but until the official announcement...

Those things don’t amount to a hill of beans unless she can recruit and win consistently and at a high level.

Pat’s gone and she ain’t coming back. It’s beyond time for everyone to understand that, come to terms with it, and move on.
I. Agree. With. You

Again I think this hire does invigorate the fanbase . You do not know who turned us down so it is what it is, assuming it is Kellie. Hell Holly had plenty of time to tear it down it will take some time to rebuild. Nobody said she is perfect so don't expect her to be. She knows a heck of a lot more than most of us yahoos about the LV tradition and expectations
I think this will keep the traditionalists who wanted to keep it in the family happy at the games, but I don’t think it will add any new fans or bring others who checked out back in the fold. It just feels like so many fans are trying so hard to make Holly and Kellie be the next Pat. It isn’t right though. I love Pat and still have her signature that I gave my granddaddy. There will be never another Pat though, and I think it would have been best to go in a different direction for a clean break. Like you said, i don’t have any sway to make the decision, so it’s just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
We’ll be there, is about all I can say so far. We weren’t going to be had there not been a change.

Great hire......but best would have been Ivey. But again......glad Holley is gone........anyone beats her.

I still haven't heard a confirmation
this hire is a rumor until I do

Yeah, she has to surround herself with all new assistants. Can't be hiring the significant other just because. There's no co head coaching in basketball. I also didn't know he's been on her staff ever since she started coaching. He's been the associate head coach. Hope she doesn't try and add Gordon to her staff because she a LVFL. Also, hope Reeves throws her name out for an assistant position she's proven herself as an ace recruiter.

He is part of her success, just as Pat always had Holly around her...Every coach should have one like this,,,it makes it easier to learn if two know and share the vision
of one

What is the troof? Hyams said she's the front runner not that she's been hired. Others say it's a done deal. Guess we have to wait until Wednesday to find out.

I think this will keep the traditionalists who wanted to keep it in the family happy at the games, but I don’t think it will add any new fans or bring others who checked out back in the fold. It just feels like so many fans are trying so hard to make Holly and Kellie be the next Pat. It isn’t right though. I love Pat and still have her signature that I gave my granddaddy. There will be another Pat though, and I think it would have been best to go in a different direction for a clean break. Like you said, i don’t have any sway to make the decision, so it’s just my opinion, of course.
Well again you may be right but Phil said he would be using LV greats like: Parker, Lawson, Holdsclaw, Catching and a few others who would not fall for the like Pat stuff I would think. If Kellie gets the job then she has to find her way. By the way she was not my first choice but since MEN were not in the mix she will do ! Later

Reactions: spojo13
She's only 41...seems to have done well with a few "slip" years here and there. I think it could be a great hire. Tennessee recruits itself so if shes an X and O coach...it will work out well.

That is what people have to realize. If she hires (or keeps) someone who can recruit, and if she is really good at X's and O's, then she has a really good chance of success. Holly just wasn't good at game time, and it was here downfall, not a lack of recruiting.

Not a fan of the hire but always liked her as a player and wish her nothing but success.

What’s scary to me if I’m the AD is her next twelve months may define her tenure here. She’ll have to

1) keep everyone but Westbrook on board.
2) keep Jordan Horston on board
3) make NCAA tournament—this will largely hinge on 1/2.

He is part of her success, just as Pat always had Holly around her...Every coach should have one like this,,,it makes it easier to learn if two know and share the vision
of one
I mean she hasn't had a lot of success. I wouldn't go as far to say Pats success was indicative of Holly being around. I would put that more so on Demoss.

of one

I’d rather she hire someone who doesn’t live with her. Truth is, if Jon is a tremendous help to her and her most trusted advisor, I seriously doubt he’d be any less willing to offer advice/help evenif he’s not on staff. Seems like a wasted spot that she could fill with someone with a fresh perspective, bringing the number of people in her corner to FIVE, not four if Jon is hired.

And there’s a part of me that wonders if it might be good for her to have a little time separate from Jon and the kids. I know I would. But of course, she’s not me and may very well be the type of person who wants to be around her partner 24/7/365. That would drive ME insane.

Reactions: orangealways

of one
Yep and he knows who butters his bread and keeps him begging for more.

I’d rather she hire someone who doesn’t live with her. Truth is, if Jon is a tremendous help to her and her most trusted advisor, I seriously doubt he’d be any less willing to offer advice/help evenif he’s not on staff. Seems like a wasted spot that she could fill with someone with a fresh perspective, bringing the number of people in her corner to FIVE, not four if Jon is hired.

And there’s a part of me that wonders if it might be good for her to have a little time separate from Jon and the kids. I know I would. But of course, she’s not me and may very well be the type of person who wants to be around her partner 24/7/365. That would drive ME insane.
Certainly not for me either but to each his or her own. Vollyball and softball and will be doing the same thing!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back