Rumor: Ty Chandler entering transfer portal

If he sat out under the guise of an injury but really for the purpose of transferring, he sealed his own fate by allowing Eric Gray to completely go off the way he did.

That said, I have no idea if that's actually true, and I really do like Chandler a lot. I hope he stays.

If he goes, I wish him the best wherever he lands.

All that is irrelevant because it’s different teams/systems.

Here’s the bottom line on this argument: who would you take? John Kelly or Ty Chandler? It’s not even a debate. Not a good comparison. Kelly was a much better back and only started one season. Chandler has started and played many more snaps. If Kelly had come back, he’d have blown up his senior season.
What utter nonsense.
You provide speculation on what he MIGHT have done had he returned. I provide actual facts and you call it IRRELEVANT??? So you
never compare any player who has never played on the exact team I guess?
This argument on if Kelly or Chandler is a better back is what is irrelevant because that wasn't the argument.
YOU said Chandler didn't produce.
I asked you for a comparison of who has, basically trying to see what you're expectation of someone who "produces". You sited Kelly.
I provided facts that showed they both produced similarly and Chandler out averaged him. Both played for bad teams with poor QB play. Either they both produced or neither did.
Oh, and you can speculate all you want about Kelly's senior season. He had 0 touches for 0 yards. So he literally DIDN'T produce then.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
the fumble vs ky is why he didnt play

The fumble was caused by JG's cast getting hung on Chandler's elbow, causing elbow to fly out and send football flying...I believe bum ankle was reason why he got no touches vs. VANDY...If Chandler got the same holes as VANDY gave up, Chandler would have had the 2 long Reds...Hopefully, his lingering ankle issues will heal during break and he will be full-go in Jax. GBO.

If he does enter the poetal, it means he has lost confidence in his abillity to compete with our other running backs. I do not believe that is the case and that he will be back and play a lot of football. He does need to become a better blocker, hold on to the football, and catch the football on the swing passes if he wants to play anywhere. He is a good player and would hate to see him leave.

Last edited:
Good “potential “ comparative back to TC. I have many good memories of CG as well, although I think that he is generally more highly regarded in Vol history than TT. That is why I think Tony Thompson is still vastly underrated . Charlie Garner enjoyed at least one full season of being “the man” while Thompson’s career was often overshadowed by more high profile backs. Hell, even in TT’s most productive season , senior year 1990, he was still not technically the feature back (behind Chuck Webb ). I will never forget the game winning plunge over the top in the sugar bowl -vs - UVA (I was there ) ,yet I am relatively sure that while UT RB’s Greg Amsler & Roland Poles we’re drafted TT was not . Let’s hope that Chandler sticks around another year and is at least halfway as productive as Charlie Garner or Tony Thompson .

Remember this game like it was yesterday. 89 or 90? I was 12yo...

Greg and Roland were the last 2 real stud FBs we had. Shawn Bryson was great...but he could have played TB he was so fast. Different type of runner. Amsler and Poles were junk yard dogs, and that game was smashmouth if ever there was one. I miss the days of FBs and I formation lead blocking. The defense knew it was coming but we didnt care because they couldn't stop us. Right down their throats.

Nothing, except maybe a blocked kick is as demoralizing to guys as a team lining up and running the ball straight down your throat, play after play, all the way down the field. I have had it done to the defense I played on at every level of football at 1 time or another probably... and it is so very frustrating and mentally defeating. A powerful Oline with big, mean dudes and a bruiser of a back will absolutely break the other team.

Was so very happy this season against MSU...we ran it straight down their throats in the 2nd half...and from that drive...every player on both teams knew it was over.

Go VOLS

The fumble was caused by JG's cast getting hung on Chandler's elbow, causing elbow to fly out and send football flying...I believe bum ankle was reason why he got no touches vs. VANDY...If Chandler got the same holes as VANDY gave up, Chandler would have had the 2 long Reds...Hopefully, his lingering ankle issues will heal during break and he will be full-go in Jax. GBO.
was u at the game? i was and saw the replay on the big board. he CLEARLY fumbled that ball....!

Reactions: AlcoVOLic
No he fumbled the ball, can't blame JG on that

Reactions: lexkyvol
3 of the 4 starting QBs in the college football playoff transferred from other schools so I see the value in it for many of these kids

Chandler led the team in rushing in 2018 and 2019. He has averaged a full yard more per carry than Jordan. He was averaging a full yard more per carry than Gray until Gray exploded on Vanderbilt. We somehow have fans who think he's the worst of the three. What games are you watching?
I fully agree, believe he is the best back on campus, maybe he wasn't working to improve. I hope he stays

VN Store

Back