Rumor: Ty Chandler entering transfer portal

If Chandler stays does the board think he could be moved to wide receiver and get a look there next spring?

Henry was listed at 5'9 probably closer to 5'8"
Stephens was listed at 5'8" which is pretty close.

Henry was built like a bowling ball, Stephens was similar in build to Ty.
Good call Beecher. Henry had insane lower body strength / legs like damn tree trunks . Once the 4th Q rolled around and he had punished opposing D for 3 quarters they pretty much had to say “no mas”. Stephens was a hell of a back too... what a combo! .... the 2 Travises were right up there with CobbWebb in my opinion, although we got to enjoy the T2 combo for a longer period than the short yet crazy productive Cobbwebb games (IIRC CobbWebb was 5 games in ‘89). I had hoped that Ty could be a Tony Thompson(vastly underrated imho) type back who could kind of “disappear” momentarily between the tackles and then suddenly emerge 10 yards downfield & all alone heading toward the end zone . We have seen a few flashes and I hope that Ty sticks around and proves my comparison to be accurate.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Chandler led the team in rushing in 2018 and 2019. He has averaged a full yard more per carry than Jordan. He was averaging a full yard more per carry than Gray until Gray exploded on Vanderbilt. We somehow have fans who think he's the worst of the three. What games are you watching?

Amen. Gray has been barely average most of the season - until he got opportunities against worst defensive line in SEC. Gray and Chandler make nice combo.

John Kelly averaged 4.1 and 778 yards in one year of production. Chandler has averaged 5.5 last year and 5.0 this year for 620 and 630 yards.
I'm not sure why you think Kelly produced and Chandler has not. And it was one season and he left early.
Eric Gray has not produced. It was one game against a bad defense.
No idea why you would put Jordan on there. 4.0 and 4.2 with 522 and only 424 this year (sports-reference may not be updated for this past week).
I'm not seeing a huge fish coming in that's going to tear it up. To see Chandler as a "depth back" that we really aren't going to miss because he didnt "produce" is ridiculous.

All that is irrelevant because it’s different teams/systems.

Here’s the bottom line on this argument: who would you take? John Kelly or Ty Chandler? It’s not even a debate. Not a good comparison. Kelly was a much better back and only started one season. Chandler has started and played many more snaps. If Kelly had come back, he’d have blown up his senior season.

You will see transfers going up on all teams across the country as the players start to see additional revenues come in from apparel companies. No one who thinks they can play will be willing to sit behind another player for 1 or 2 years. They will want to get on the field and start receiving cash immediately. Guessing transfers will increase more than 100%, NCAA will need to change the rule on transfers to accommodate them quickly and allow them to play sooner. Everything will change once the 1st player drives up in his Maserati late for practice.

I don’t think Chandler will enter the Portal, but you never know what’s going on in his head, do you?

The most disappointing part is that after three years we are talking about Chandler as a depth running back. You can find a depth running backing anywhere.. perhaps a nice, smart kid.. just hasn't produced on the football field. Best of luck
If you meant to say, "You can find a depth running back anywhere", I'd disagree, Good RBs are not anywhere and everywhere, if they were, everybody would have two...

Reactions: Sarms58
You will see transfers going up on all teams across the country as the players start to see additional revenues come in from apparel companies. No one who thinks they can play will be willing to sit behind another player for 1 or 2 years. They will want to get on the field and start receiving cash immediately. Guessing transfers will increase more than 100%, NCAA will need to change the rule on transfers to accommodate them quickly and allow them to play sooner. Everything will change once the 1st player drives up in his Maserati late for practice.
There are more in the portal that don't get picked up by a team of equal stature, 90% trade down a level in order to play. How much they "get paid" will matter exactly zero for most that transfer down a level.

Good call Beecher. Henry had insane lower body strength / legs like damn tree trunks . Once the 4th Q rolled around and he had punished opposing D for 3 quarters they pretty much had to say “no mas”. Stephens was a hell of a back too... what a combo! .... the 2 Travises were right up there with CobbWebb in my opinion, although we got to enjoy the T2 combo for a longer period than the short yet crazy productive Cobbwebb games (IIRC CobbWebb was 5 games in ‘89). I had hoped that Ty could be a Tony Thompson(vastly underrated imho) type back who could kind of “disappear” momentarily between the tackles and then suddenly emerge 10 yards downfield & all alone heading toward the end zone . We have seen a few flashes and I hope that Ty sticks around and proves my comparison to be accurate.
Or a Charles Garner

Reactions: Jravol78
There are more in the portal that don't get picked up by a team of equal stature, 90% trade down a level in order to play. How much they "get paid" will matter exactly zero for most that transfer down a level.

You are talking about the current reasons for transfer, this is a new reason and different type player. No it's anyone who thinks he should be starting over a star player (who has a shoe deal) and is not. That would be costing him a great deal of money and patience will be out the window when the cash hits the table. It's human nature.

Or a Charles Garner
Good “potential “ comparative back to TC. I have many good memories of CG as well, although I think that he is generally more highly regarded in Vol history than TT. That is why I think Tony Thompson is still vastly underrated . Charlie Garner enjoyed at least one full season of being “the man” while Thompson’s career was often overshadowed by more high profile backs. Hell, even in TT’s most productive season , senior year 1990, he was still not technically the feature back (behind Chuck Webb ). I will never forget the game winning plunge over the top in the sugar bowl -vs - UVA (I was there ) ,yet I am relatively sure that while UT RB’s Greg Amsler & Roland Poles we’re drafted TT was not . Let’s hope that Chandler sticks around another year and is at least halfway as productive as Charlie Garner or Tony Thompson .

VN Store

Back