Rumor....Auburn's possible interest in Vols WR Coach David Johnson

Back up your argument with stats.
Had excellent recruiting classes at USC and didn't produce. USC has 5th best recruiting class average for the last 5 years.
Stats don't mean that much for position coaches. The ones who are fortunate enough to coach the best players have the best stats.
Which stat do you find meaningful?
Possibly the best stat is longevity. Like any job experience should make one better. Not always true though.

I prefer it to be Weinke rather than David Johnson. Nothing against Weinke; and would suck to lose a former Heisman Trophy winning QB, but I really don't want to lose Johnson.

I'd put Tee on RBs and keep Johnson at WR.
It would be pretty funny to have both QBs from the two teams that played in the National Championship in 98 to be on the same staff

EDIT: Ironic? Coincidental?

Reactions: allen phillips
It would be pretty funny to have both QBs from the two teams that played in the National Championship in 98 to be on the same staff

EDIT: Ironic? Coincidental?

Weinke didn't play in the Natty.....but i get what you're saying.

Well, gee, I had this well-crafted response that just vanished when I tried to edit it... lol, but dammit!

Anyway, what I was trying to post is that much of what underlies addiction issues is the feeling that we are missing out on something. Love, or belonging, or meaningfulness, or something something.

We seem to have lost the idea of what makes A Good Life. There is a heart-hunger, a feeling that our souls have a big old hollow place that needs filling. And there doesn't seem to be anything there to fill it, so we go for stim (stimulation), whether it's alcohol, or drugs, or gambling or sex or whatever.

And that is not accidental. Because meanwhile, there is a HUGE industry that is dependent on making people feel inadequate. Not thin enough, cheekbones aren't high enough, BF/GF isn't hot enough, I'm not rich enough, I don't get laid enough, I'm not respected enough, my hair is too flat/ too fluffy/ too thin/ appearing in the wrong places (way too many wrong places), it's obvious that they aren't going to promote me, my armpits are kinda funky, my car gears down at the wrong point when I am accelerating, and on and on. Someone is making money off of your pain.

If we buy into Mad Ave and media and the general frenzy, if we believe that if we will just do thus-and-so, then we'll be happy. But it's all a lie, and it only makes us feel more lost and hollow. Somehow or another, we have to find where the "real" is, because when we live that, that's the only way that we will feel complete.

So I hope that your loved ones can see through the lies that we are all fed about how-it-ought-to-be and find their real.

And meanwhile, I hope we have a great coach in this position, whether David Johnson or Tee Martin, and Go Effing Vols!

We seem to have lost the idea of what makes a good life.

What do you believe makes a good life.

I thought Johnson was one of the few coaches that elevated the play of his players. They could definitely catch the ball if it was ever thrown to them. Getting a decent pass off or being able to pass at all was the problem.

Had excellent recruiting classes at USC and didn't produce. USC has 5th best recruiting class average for the last 5 years.
Stats don't mean that much for position coaches. The ones who are fortunate enough to coach the best players have the best stats.
Which stat do you find meaningful?
Possibly the best stat is longevity. Like any job experience should make one better. Not always true though.
How did he not produce? He had a 1000 yard wr almost every year. Several Bilitnekoff winners or Finalists.

He was there for 6 years. That is a lifetime in coaching.

High scoring offenses as OC.

He wasn't the head coach. The o did well.

What are you talking about?

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
I prefer it to be Weinke rather than David Johnson. Nothing against Weinke; and would suck to lose a former Heisman Trophy winning QB, but I really don't want to lose Johnson.

I'd put Tee on RBs and keep Johnson at WR.
Tee at WR keep Weinke... he has great ties to IMG Academy. Johnson can go. JMO

This is stupid as hell. Say what you want about Martin as an OC but he's a stellar recruiter and position coach. The resumes aren't comparable.

Martin was hired away from Kentucky bc of his ability as a developer of WRs. You think Kiffin hired Martin as a WR coach on the west coast bc he's just a recruiter? USC basically does recruit itself. Martin moved up through the ranks at USC and was kept through numerous head coaching changes even given promotions because of the value he added.

I can see some points of criticism if we're bringing him on as an OC but as a position coach this is a freaking homerun.

How did he not produce? He had a 1000 yard wr almost every year. Several Bilitnekoff winners or Finalists.

He was there for 6 years. That is a lifetime in coaching.

High scoring offenses as OC.

He wasn't the head coach. The o did well.

What are you talking about?
OC for 2 + years before being relieved of the play calling duties mid season in 2018. Was fired at the end of the season.
You should expect a 1000 yd wr every year, and at last 1 NFL wr every year when you recruit the best players in the country.
He had Sam Darnold for a QB. Lost him and production decreased significantly.
He coached in a conference known to have high scoring games, and poor d to go along with it.
When Pruitt said the OC is overrated he was correct. You can put a good OC with mediocre team and he won't look good. You can put an avg OC with the best players, and they make him look good. Tee stepped into that type of job at USC, but he wasn't effective when he lost Darnold.
Who tried to hire him as an OC after he was let go?

Reactions: feathersax
No

Tee wasn't very successful at USC as a coach, especially OC. Recruiter, yes. But Vols have needed coaches like DJ who can motivate & develop talent. Be nice to have both, but I much prefer Coach Johnson.

Nelson Agholor, JuJu Smith Shuster, and Marquise Lee were 1st and 2nd round talents coached By Tee Martin!!!! Who has Johnson got drafted in that high? I'll hang up and listen!!!

Reactions: k-town_king
Nelson Agholor, JuJu Smith Shuster, and Marquise Lee were 1st and 2nd round talents coached By Tee Martin!!!! Who has Johnson got drafted in that high? I'll hang up and listen!!!

Just because I'm bored...

The vast majority of WRs taken in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft are from P5 schools.

8 taken in 2018, 2 non-P5 schools (SMU and Memphis)
6 taken in 2017, 1 non-P5 school (ECU)
7 taken in 2016, all P5 schools
9 taken in 2015, 1 non-P5 school (UCF)
12 taken in 2014, 1 non-P5 school (Fresno State)

42 1st and 2nd round WR picks overall. Only 5 were non-P5 schools. Johnson having one of those five can be a testament to his coaching ability.

Reactions: Titan&Volfan4life
What team
OC for 2 + years before being relieved of the play calling duties mid season in 2018. Was fired at the end of the season.
You should expect a 1000 yd wr every year, and at last 1 NFL wr every year when you recruit the best players in the country.
He coached in a conference known to have high scoring games, and poor d to go along with it.
When Pruitt said the OC is overrated he was correct. You can put a good OC with mediocre team and he won't look good. You can put an avg OC with the best players, and they make him look good. Tee stepped into that type of job at USC, but he wasn't effective when he lost Darnold.
Name one college team that has a 1000 yard wr each year. Not too many if any. The ones that are close have one good wr coach for a while like USC with Tee.

He had plenty of offers. Many good coaches have been fired. They averaged 31.75 ppg last year before the demotion.

If anyone has any doubts about David Johnson being a better developer of talent at WR than Tee Martin, just go back and look at Tee Martin's response when a reporter asked him(as the WR coach) why the Kentucky receivers were dropping so many balls.....his response...."I don't know, I didn't play the position".

Tee Martin "I don't know, I didn't play the position." | |
That is why Randall Cobb was so bad huh?

If we go with the saying that success is predicated on 80% talent and 20% coaching then you go with the better recruiter. I'm sure Pruitt probably thinks he can land Martin and that gives us another elite recruiter on staff. Possibly have to put an additional title and slide him some additional cash but I think Fulmer and Pruitt can land him.

I like Johnson but I don't think Martin is a huge step down as a position coach honestly. Even if he is I don't think it matters if Martin brings superior talent.

T does have a reputation as being a very good coach, as well as an excellent recruiter. He is not a flashy, loud talking kind of guy. He is high quality and rock steady. I am not celebrating the prospect of losing Coach Johnson, because he is an excellent coach. I'd like for him to remain of staff, but I think T is a good add. However things pan out, Pruitt is obviously working to improve the program.

Last edited:
What team

Name one college team that has a 1000 yard wr each year. Not too many if any. The ones that are close have one good wr coach for a while like USC with Tee.

He had plenty of offers. Many good coaches have been fired. They averaged 31.75 ppg last year before the demotion.
Who offered a OC position?
He started out coaching all Americans at USC.
Do you believe the best d coach in America is at bama every year? N, but the best players are.

And? Are we hiring him as an OC?

Would USC not just keep him but promote him over and over again through multiple coaching changes if he were just a recruiter and not a good position coach?

See people are playing both sides here, some say he's not a great recruiter bc USC recruits itself. Others says he's not a good position coach bc of the talent he had at the position. Why in the hell did multiple head coaches keep the guy on staff if he can't recruit or coach and then double down by promoting him bc he sucked at his job?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back