Roy Williams Retiring

Wow. L Dub going hard after Roy.

In recent years I enjoyed hating Roy Williams like I enjoyed hating Ric Flair when he was beefing with Dusty Rhodes back in the day.

The hate was real back when Roy and Billy Donovan were fueding over recruits like Mike Miller and Matt Bonner, and Roy contacted the NCAA because Billy outworked him.

Billy winning two national titles with one McD AA and a collection of 3-4* kids was sweet validation.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does it feel like UNC would be settling if they choose to hire Hubert Davis? Their BBALL program is one of the best in all of college athletics.

Reactions: Pappy
HUBERT DAVIS...........................
tenor.gif

Is it just me or does it feel like UNC would be settling if they choose to hire Hubert Davis? Their BBALL program is one of the best in all of college athletics.
They always keep it in the family. It’ll be him or Wes Miller.

The UNC boards are talking about Brad Stevens... just like everyone else does when their job comes open.

He's a HOF Coach for sure. But I've always felt that he never got the most out of his teams. Especially when he was at Kansas, he had some real powerhouse rosters there. Can't deny his record though and he was fun to watch from time to time.

Roy Williams was already a proven winner. Still don't know WTH UNC was thinking when they hired Doherty.
They put all of their eggs in the Roy Williams basket. They really had no plan when he decided to stay at KU. Once George Karl said no, Doherty was really the only option. In fairness his 2002 recruiting class was the backbone of the 2004-2005 National title team.

He's a HOF Coach for sure. But I've always felt that he never got the most out of his teams. Especially when he was at Kansas, he had some real powerhouse rosters there. Can't deny his record though and he was fun to watch from time to time.
He choked alot at Kansas in the big dance with some very talented teams

Won 3 titles and also had a loss in a title game. That's more than any of his contemporaries except K, as far as I know.

I know he has something of a reputation for underachieving, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because never won one at Kansas? Not sure. Seems like that label would/should have faded away once he won multiples at UNC.

There are a bunch of other coaches I would put on a "does less with more" list before him.

Won 3 titles and also had a loss in a title game. That's more than any of his contemporaries except K, as far as I know.

I know he has something of a reputation for underachieving, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because never won one at Kansas? Not sure. Seems like that label would/should have faded away once he won multiples at UNC.

There are a bunch of other coaches I would put on a "does less with more" list before him.
He would’ve eventually won at KU, but there’s no denying that he should’ve won one while he was there. He had some big time rosters.

I feel like this gets discussed yearly in every unc/Duke season thread, but I’ll say it again here. I give Roy crap because I hate Carolina. I don’t think he’s a great in game coach. But he knows how to adjust and improve his team throughout the season to get the most out of them. All that said: every single coach, K included, should have won more with some of their rosters and seasons. Closest to maxing out their talent compared with accomplishments is probably Izzo. Cal, Roy, Self, have all won big. Just because the expectation at Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, and to a lesser degree MSU, is to win it all every year, doesn’t mean that’s reality. Roy has 3 titles and 9 FFs. That’s a remarkable run.

VN Store

Back