Roy Williams Retiring

nickp91

When Roy Williams left Kansas for UNC in 2003 he was considered a great coach who couldn't win the big one He put that notion to rest in short order (titles in '05, '09, '17)

Not that it matters because he can’t now and wouldn’t at Carolina either:

Coach Cal.

The one coach they could hire and Coach K would roll back over and sleep like a baby.

VolInNW

Trapped in PAC 12 Country
Two names I'd like to see them go after:

1. Mark Few. He will likely take Zaga to a NC in a few days (pun intended) so he has achieved the ultimate there and given that die hard fanbase what it, in my opinion, deserves. Good time to move on. Not likely, but it would be a home run hire for both sides.

2. Tony Bennett. Not only one of the great crooners (sorry couldn't resist) but a helluva coach with deep ACC ties already. Again, a VERY long shot, but would be another home run.

If UNC is wedded to only considering UNC people, this could be a major inflection point where UNC pulls an Indiana (or Tennessee in football) and stumbles around for too long that it becomes almost impossible to build back.

Gotta admit....I love coaching searches! And this one will give us a taste of that that post Saban coaching search is going to look like.

05_never_again

Two names I'd like to see them go after:

1. Mark Few. He will likely take Zaga to a NC in a few days (pun intended) so he has achieved the ultimate there and given that die hard fanbase what it, in my opinion, deserves. Good time to move on. Not likely, but it would be a home run hire for both sides.

2. Tony Bennett. Not only one of the great crooners (sorry couldn't resist) but a helluva coach with deep ACC ties already. Again, a VERY long shot, but would be another home run.

If UNC is wedded to only considering UNC people, this could be a major inflection point where UNC pulls an Indiana (or Tennessee in football) and stumbles around for too long that it becomes almost impossible to build back.

Gotta admit....I love coaching searches! And this one will give us a taste of that that post Saban coaching search is going to look like.
I anticipate the Saban retirement announcement coming the same way. I don't expect him to announce it way in advance and do a retirement tour, be asked questions about his "last game against (insert team)" that whole year, etc. Soon after a season ends, he'll announce he's retiring and people will say they're shocked, kind of like how some are shocked at Roy's retirement, but I'm not sure why. He's 70, been coaching college ball since the 70s, and has nothing left to prove. It's like some people think these coaches will keep coaching even when they're on their deathbed.

BigOrangeAl 1979

I anticipate the Saban retirement announcement coming the same way. I don't expect him to announce it way in advance and do a retirement tour, be asked questions about his "last game against (insert team)" that whole year, etc. Soon after a season ends, he'll announce he's retiring and people will say they're shocked, kind of like how some are shocked at Roy's retirement, but I'm not sure why. He's 70, been coaching college ball since the 70s, and has nothing left to prove. It's like some people think these coaches will keep coaching even when they're on their deathbed.
Saban may very well coach till he’s on his deathbed and he will still be winning national titles at 84

BeecherVol

Ridge Runner
In recent years I enjoyed hating Roy Williams like I enjoyed hating Ric Flair when he was beefing with Dusty Rhodes back in the day.

The hate was real back when Roy and Billy Donovan were fueding over recruits like Mike Miller and Matt Bonner, and Roy contacted the NCAA because Billy outworked him.

Billy winning two national titles with one McD AA and a collection of 3-4* kids was sweet validation.
Theres a comparison you dont see every day.

Nice.

05_never_again

In recent years I enjoyed hating Roy Williams like I enjoyed hating Ric Flair when he was beefing with Dusty Rhodes back in the day.

The hate was real back when Roy and Billy Donovan were fueding over recruits like Mike Miller and Matt Bonner, and Roy contacted the NCAA because Billy outworked him.

Billy winning two national titles with one McD AA and a collection of 3-4* kids was sweet validation.
Automatic like for a Ric Flair/Dusty Rhodes mention.

VolinMichigan

Lifelong member of the Good Guys Club
I’m a little biased because my wife went to UNC and I got to see that 2005 championship team play a few times in person. I’ve always liked Roy Williams and I’m sad to see him go but he’s had an amazing coaching career that’s really only surpassed by coach K out of all of his contemporaries. Should have probably won a title at Kansas but 4 final 4’s there and 5 at UNC, nearly going back to back in 16 and 17 save for a Villanova buzzer beater. He has a laundry list of NBA players he coached at KU and UNC, with a sure fire HoFer in Paul Pierce. I hope he enjoys retirement.

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
Doherty basically gave Roy a national championship roster on his way out the door. Not a great HC but Doherty could recruit.
Doherty was a less successful Ron Zook.

Edit: Matt Doherty could not have won with that group, no matter how talented they were. Rashad McCants would’ve destroyed that team from the inside out. I still don’t know how Roy managed to keep him from doing it. He’s probably on the starting 5 for least likeable Carolina players.

Last edited:

Regulator

Super Def Ill

Edit: Matt Doherty could not have won with that group, no matter how talented they were. Rashad McCants would’ve destroyed that team from the inside out. I still don’t know how Roy managed to keep him from doing it. He’s probably on the starting 5 for least likeable Carolina players.
Starting five for most talented also, IMO. What a waste.

Lawrence Wright

Troll Brother #1

That would be a good thread start...please hold.

VN Store

Sponsors