Rotation for 2021-2022

I think plavsic needed playing time more than anything. I don’t think he ever got enough minutes to get into any kind of grove after his good miss state game. I think he could have been a solid SEC player. I think KRN could too. With that said, I doubt he gets it this year with Fulky , BHH and Aidoo on campus. He is not on their level in terms of ability and upside.
Plav will be counted on in spots. When the other team has a quick athletic 4 and 5, you probably aren’t going to see him much. If there is another slower, big bodied 5 to match up against, he’ll get some PT. He’s gonna give you fouls and hustle and hopefully develop some sort of defensive presence around the rim. That’s all I’m asking from the guy and would be more than satisfied if we get that from him.
GBO!!

Since the roster is set except for the official enrolling of Tamba (who will probably redshirt anyways). Of course Barnes will experiment some and I doubt he will use a 10 man rotation all year but these are my early, early thoughts.

PG- Chandler 30/Vescovi 10
SG- Vescovi 20/Bailey 10/Powell 10
SF- JJJ 20/Powell 10/Mashack 10
PF- BHH 20/JJJ 10/ORN 10
C- Fulkerson 25/Aidoo 10/BHH 5

Interesting. I’ve been screaming for years that Barnes needs to develop a true bench, i.e. depth, especially during the regular season, for us to have any legs (a real bench that truly produces points, rebounds, steals, etc.) post-season. Has Barnes ever run a 10-man rotation? Anywhere? At Texas? I cannot recall him consistently giving more than 7 players significant minutes during the regular season while our coach. Does even try to recruit a bench? No idea, just asking.

I would spray-paint my ex-wife orange if we would consistently run a 10-man or even a 9-man rotation...if we had that amount of talent. I believe our post-season fortunes are directly proportionate to how strong/deep our bench is.

Reactions: i2amavol
Interesting. I’ve been screaming for years that Barnes needs to develop a true bench, i.e. depth, especially during the regular season, for us to have any legs (a real bench that truly produces points, rebounds, steals, etc.) post-season. Has Barnes ever run a 10-man rotation? Anywhere? At Texas? I cannot recall him consistently giving more than 7 players significant minutes during the regular season while our coach. Does even try to recruit a bench? No idea, just asking.

I would spray-paint my ex-wife orange if we would consistently run a 10-man or even a 9-man rotation...if we had that amount of talent. I believe our post-season fortunes are directly proportionate to how strong/deep our bench is.

10 deep in 2015-16 but McGhee quit so it ended up as a 9-man rotation.

11 deep in 2016-17 but Fulkerson was injured and Mostella was booted so it became a 9-man rotation again.

9 played notable minutes in 2019-20 but Lemonte quit and 8 played it out. Actually Vescovi was added in January so it was really 8 minus LT in December plus SV, so pretty much always 8.

11 deep in 2016-17 but Fulkerson was injured and Mostella was booted so it became a 9-man rotation again.

9 played notable minutes in 2019-20 but Lemonte quit and 8 played it out. Actually Vescovi was added in January so it was really 8 minus LT in December plus SV, so pretty much always 8.
Not to pick nits, but Lamonte didn’t quit, he was injured

Was injured

I’m just glad Vescovi finally gets to play his natural position of SG instead of being thrust into playing PG. We should see a much more efficient offense this year with an actual PG on the roster.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Plavsic is a sophomore.

Players are put on the court in games that give the team the best chance to win each game, not to give minutes to the less experienced ones.

This can also be applied to Jerrone Maynon’s early years @ UT under Pearl. It’s all about opportunities. He didn’t do anything his first few years and the fans were sold that S. Pearl gave the team the best chance to win. . . I’m not saying Uros will have the same impact as Maymon, but his limited action during Fullerton’s injury made me feel like he could be a solid contributor and role player.

I think plavsic needed playing time more than anything. I don’t think he ever got enough minutes to get into any kind of grove after his good miss state game. I think he could have been a solid SEC player. I think KRN could too. With that said, I doubt he gets it this year with Fulky , BHH and Aidoo on campus. He is not on their level in terms of ability and upside.
I hope he'll find an orange grove:

Orange Grove.jpg

Reactions: LeannaVol
I’m surprised y’all don’t all have Powell starting. I think he’s the starting 2 guard with Vescovi behind him. JJJ at the 3, BHH at the 4. When we go small, JJJ goes to the 4 and Vescovi or Powell to the 3.
I think it’s a toss up between Vescovi and Powell. They both can shoot the lights out but one could argue Powell is a little better shooter, albeit in a smaller sample size. Powell also has much better rebounding and assist numbers. He seems to be the better player overall. Barnes could have Powell running PG whenever Chandler needs a rest or gets into foul trouble. He had a couple of 9 assist games last year as a freshman so he is definitely capable. It will be interesting to see how Barnes handles both of their minutes. Powell probably ends up getting the nod imo.

Chandler 30/Vescovi 10
Powell 25/Vescovi 15
James 10/Bailey 20/Mashack 10
BHH 25/James 15
Fulky 25/Aidoo 10/ORN 5
I see Powell playing more too if he stays healthy. Vescovi wasn't overly impressive last year. Backup guard seems more likely if we are indeed better than last year.

This can also be applied to Jerrone Maynon’s early years @ UT under Pearl. It’s all about opportunities. He didn’t do anything his first few years and the fans were sold that S. Pearl gave the team the best chance to win. . . I’m not saying Uros will have the same impact as Maymon, but his limited action during Fullerton’s injury made me feel like he could be a solid contributor and role player.
The Pearl/Maymon narrative is one of the more ill-remembered scenarios by our fanbase. No one, not even Bruce or Steven Pearl really believed S. Pearl was a better player. What he did do was accept his role within the team, which is something Maymon was hesitant to do, at first, and is also what precipitated his transfer from Marquette to Tennessee to begin with. He fancied himself an outside/perimeter player, and that is what he tried to be at Marquette and in his one semester under Bruce Pearl, as well. It didn't work out well, for him, and Bruce couldn't trust him to not float outside on the perimeter, take bad shots, and turn the ball over instead of getting in the paint and collecting rebounds. Steven Pearl was willing to do the dirty work and Maymon wasn't.

Cuonzo Martin was able to break through to him and turned him into an All-SEC player as a strict post player and one of the tougher, hard-nosed players in the league.

The Pearl/Maymon narrative is one of the more ill-remembered scenarios by our fanbase. No one, not even Bruce or Steven Pearl really believed S. Pearl was a better player. What he did do was accept his role within the team, which is something Maymon was hesitant to do, at first, and is also what precipitated his transfer from Marquette to Tennessee to begin with. He fancied himself an outside/perimeter player, and that is what he tried to be at Marquette and in his one semester under Bruce Pearl, as well. It didn't work out well, for him, and Bruce couldn't trust him to not float outside on the perimeter, take bad shots, and turn the ball over instead of getting in the paint and collecting rebounds. Steven Pearl was willing to do the dirty work and Maymon wasn't.

Cuonzo Martin was able to break through to him and turned him into an All-SEC player as a strict post player and one of the tougher, hard-nosed players in the league.

There was one game that Stephen Pearl came in and had a calming effect on the team. He got the team together and was essentially another coach on the floor. . . We were relatively successful that year, so you don’t really question it.
The only other thing about that time frame is that Stephen was playing over much more talented players and his sister was singing the Star Spangled banner virtually every game. It came across, to me, as being all about the Pearls.
Regardless of why Pearl was playing over Maymon, my point is still the same towards Uros. But I’m not expecting him to have the same type of impact Maymon had.

I think it’s a toss up between Vescovi and Powell. They both can shoot the lights out but one could argue Powell is a little better shooter, albeit in a smaller sample size. Powell also has much better rebounding and assist numbers. He seems to be the better player overall. Barnes could have Powell running PG whenever Chandler needs a rest or gets into foul trouble. He had a couple of 9 assist games last year as a freshman so he is definitely capable. It will be interesting to see how Barnes handles both of their minutes. Powell probably ends up getting the nod imo.

I don't see Vescovi as someone who can "shoot the lights out." If Powell isn't a better shooter than Vescovi, I'll be disappointed.

Reactions: cardvolfan

I would spray paint my ex-wife orange for for less reason than that.

You better not sleep on Plavsic this year. That guy has been a Barnes project. Usually Barnes projects show some signs in their junior season. Same goes for Nkamhoua. Not saying these guys are starters obviously but that doesn't mean they can't be key contributers behind the talent we have this coming season.

I believe we'll see more production from ORN than Plavsic.

1) Coach played his son over a more talented player

2) Maymon had shown much more skills than Uros and a former top 60 prospect unlike Uros. Maymon also thought himself a wing and not a post. Once Cuonzo took over and converted him to post he became good.

3) In Uros’ two final games with expanded minutes, he had 5 points, 6 boards and 0 blocks in 27 minutes. He didn’t exactly have a 15/10 game.

If he was 19 and exhibited some athleticism or agility like Alexander for example I’d be more willing to buy him as a potential role player. But he is 22 and going into year four of college and hasn’t gotten any consistent minutes.

1) Coach played his son over a more talented player

2) Maymon had shown much more skills than Uros and a former top 60 prospect unlike Uros. Maymon also thought himself a wing and not a post. Once Cuonzo took over and converted him to post he became good.

3) In Uros’ two final games with expanded minutes, he had 5 points, 6 boards and 0 blocks in 27 minutes. He didn’t exactly have a 15/10 game.

If he was 19 and exhibited some athleticism or agility like Alexander for example I’d be more willing to buy him as a potential role player. But he is 22 and going into year four of college and hasn’t gotten any consistent minutes.
Is it possible if Uros was playing at UT 20+ years back that he would have been a solid player, potential starter? Seems like he’s a victim of the rules changing in the game making it more perimeter oriented to me. Big bodied 7+ footers don’t appear to have nearly the value as in times past. JMO

Is it possible if Uros was playing at UT 20+ years back that he would have been a solid player, potential starter? Seems like he’s a victim of the rules changing in the game making it more perimeter oriented to me. Big bodied 7+ footers don’t appear to have nearly the value as in times past. JMO

Jahlil Okafor dominated at Duke because he was actually good at basketball despite having limited athleticism and no range. Luka Garza is a very recent example that didn't have issues with the rules and was dominant primarily playing a back to the basket game on the block.

The problem is that the bolded part is all he is, which means he would still not be very good regardless of rule changes. He just isn't that good.

There was one game that Stephen Pearl came in and had a calming effect on the team. He got the team together and was essentially another coach on the floor. . . We were relatively successful that year, so you don’t really question it.
The only other thing about that time frame is that Stephen was playing over much more talented players and his sister was singing the Star Spangled banner virtually every game. It came across, to me, as being all about the Pearls.
Regardless of why Pearl was playing over Maymon, my point is still the same towards Uros. But I’m not expecting him to have the same type of impact Maymon had.
All about the Pearl family? Surely not. 😆

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Since the roster is set except for the official enrolling of Tamba (who will probably redshirt anyways). Of course Barnes will experiment some and I doubt he will use a 10 man rotation all year but these are my early, early thoughts.

PG- Chandler 30/Vescovi 10
SG- Vescovi 20/Bailey 10/Powell 10
SF- JJJ 20/Powell 10/Mashack 10
PF- BHH 20/JJJ 10/ORN 10
C- Fulkerson 25/Aidoo 10/BHH 5
Powell is our starting SG and will play A LOT more than that

If you’re 7’0 you either have to be really athletic or really skilled to be effective in today’s game. Too many teams use ball screens and 3 pointers on offense and teams are nuanced defensively with game plans. Now if you’re extremely skilled like a Luka Garza or a Hunter Dickinson or a Drew Timme you can still dominate and have success.

20 years ago? Yeah I think he could have been something. I remember Major Wingate being 6’10 and not being overly athletic or skilled and averaging 10/5 because he had good size and was strong. And you can make a case for him to play because back then you saw more post play and larger players, so Uros could have become an effective low post defender.

But Uros doesn’t have skills or the athleticism necessary for today’s game. If he had rebounding instincts like Maymon or Stokes might be a different story. But I haven’t seen that. And we don’t play enough skilled posts for him to make an impact defensively 1 on 1. So there’s not really any sort of role for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back