Roe vs Wade Overturned

Why hasn't the left ever codified Roe v. Wade? They've controlled Congress and the WH going on two years. The decision to overturn was leaked a few months back. Why haven't the Democrats taken action? They're so outraged that they've sat on their asses and done nothing.

Why haven't they acted? I don't know. Do you have an opinion on that?

I mean, the left doesn't have the Senate, which would be pretty "helpful" when trying to pass a law. You know that Congress and the POTUS can't pass bills alone, right?

Reactions: ohhbother
I think what this case exemplifies is that the only perpetual machine known to man is activism in legislation and judiciary rulings and it’s highly under damped. Even Justice Ginsburg felt RvW went too far. I am not speaking pro or anti abortion in this ruling. This is a Constitutional matter where SCOTUS judges wrote legislation from the bench that was foolishly put forth as settled law and has now been vacated. I do not believe there is any manner you can infer in the Constitution that the Feds have to power to legislate reproductive rights. And if any federal legislation is put forth going forward to restrict those rights to either extreme should be struck down.

After 50 years I think SCOTUS actually got it right. However for 50 years a large number of people have been flaunting a right that did not exist at the federal level. Going forth they will be limited by how their peers vote in their states legislation. As it should be. However sadly many states have already set legislation in place to automatically over correct if what just happened ever occurred. And my own state’s tattle tale law is just plain stupid.

Good perspective.

I mean, the left doesn't have the Senate, which would be pretty "helpful" when trying to pass a law. You know that Congress and the POTUS can't pass bills alone, right?

When even RBG agrees it ( Roe v Wade) was a bad decision that created controversy, how can you disagree?

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol

The left controls both chambers of Congress and the WH, yet thus far, they've not attempted anything. My guess as to why? I think they'd rather bitch about it in an attempt to garner votes than actually do something. Neither side actually cares about accomplishing anything other than getting elected and being in power. Democrats should be pissed at their party for not doing anything.

Her entire life should be about getting that help. No time for political activism, am I right?

My thought would be if your life is chaos and you are to the point of not being able to deal with that .. why surround yourself with more chaos ? Now , If you are seeing a therapist that’s playing heavy metal and screams at you during your session , that would make more sense .. but they don’t for a reason .

Good perspective.
When you separate the understandable emotional aspect of this topic and the new ruling to overturn, at the end of the day abortion is a medical procedure. I’m not downplaying it that’s just what it is. Medical licensing and procedure are regulated at the state level. I think for 50 years SCOTUS wrote legislation that they had no business writing and the federal government stuck their nose where they had no business doing so. Sadly in the short term we are going to whiplash back to the other extreme I fear at a state level. That’s no good either. But once the emotion is past I really hope much of these trigger laws are addressed again since the power rests completely with the states where it should be. And I hope our idiot ass snitch law is vacated

Reactions: McDad

Obama ran on it and didn’t do it. And had a supermajority congress instead "not my highest legislative priority," and opting, instead, to focus on a bailout for banks."

Some people just aren't that happy to be alive. Or they just have damage from growing up and they really are warped. Or they wish they hadn't been such a burden on their Mom. Maybe their Mom stayed with their Dad because of the pregnancy and that resulted in decades of abuse. Lots of reasons that somebody with a different life experience than you may feel that way.

Surely you aren’t attempting to proclaim abortion is a positive because some small % of people wish they weren’t born. If so we could extend that argument to killing anyone. “Maybe I did them a favor”

Agreed. They don’t have the numbers right now to accomplish much at all. Their best chance was from 2009-2011. Nice majority but did very little. The GOP had numbers from 2017-2019 but did very little.

Basically the only way a party is without excuse is to have the POTUS, the House by 5-10 seats minimum, and 60 Senators. Just really hard to get there.

The left controls both chambers of Congress and the WH, yet thus far, they've not attempted anything. My guess as to why? I think they'd rather bitch about it in an attempt to garner votes than actually do something. Neither side actually cares about accomplishing anything other than getting elected and being in power. Democrats should be pissed at their party for not doing anything.

Certainly it's a wedge issue that both parties love to ride in order to distract us. But let's be honest, there's NO chance that a bill codifying a federal law would or will ever be passed without a removal of the Senate cloture rule. Since that's not going to happen any "doing something about it" is just saying why aren't they doing more grandstanding?

Obama ran on it and didn’t do it. And had a supermajority congress instead "not my highest legislative priority," and opting, instead, to focus on a bailout for banks."

"You know that Congress and the POTUS can't pass bills alone, right?"

He advocated "thinning the herd" when COVID hit..then when it affected him personally screamed get the vac..then says sorry to the flight club that I got COVID.

Reactions: Majors
Certainly it's a wedge issue that both parties love to ride in order to distract us. But let's be honest, there's NO chance that a bill codifying a federal law would or will ever be passed without a removal of the Senate cloture rule. Since that's not going to happen any "doing something about it" is just saying why aren't they doing more grandstanding?
Is every single Republican Senator anti-abortion? They could bring it to a vote and see where it falls.

Reactions: StarRaider

I think you're confusing the TARP program as being Obama's baby. That gem was a carry over from his predecessor and truthfully, the financial crisis was a priority. I find it oddly ironic that you'd try and get a dig in on Obama for not doing something that you're likely super glad he didn't do.

Is every single Republican Senator anti-abortion? They could bring it to a vote and see where it falls.

Enough to know it wouldn't stand a chance. Majority leaders don't bring bills to the floor they know will fail.

Ever.

Enough to know it wouldn't stand a chance. Majority leaders don't bring bills to the floor they know will fail.

Ever.
Sounds like an excuse to continue to do nothing while blaming SCOTUS for what is IMO a correct opinion. I actually do NOT support banning abortion, but I also think it's a state issue, not a federal one. SCOTUS got it right. It will be states that screw it up.

Her entire life should be about getting that help. No time for political activism, am I right?
You know I genuinely respect your opinion sir but really don't think that's why she made that sign. I think she's trying to make some weird point that doesn't make any sense but what do I know

I think you're confusing the TARP program as being Obama's baby. That gem was a carry over from his predecessor and truthfully, the financial crisis was a priority. I find it oddly ironic that you'd try and get a dig in on Obama for not doing something that you're likely super glad he didn't do.
He had the numbers to codify and didn’t do it. Had a supermajority and played his base. Which goes back to your original stance about the President and numbers to do it. Obama bailed out the banks which was not his predecessor but Clinton laying the tracks with the subprime mortgages in 1997.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back