Roe vs Wade Overturned

I mean it passed like 65-35 or better, didn’t it?

I suspect that if you had a state-wide referendum on exceptions to MS’s abortion laws for life of the mother, rape, and incest those would pass, too. Although to be fair I don’t know whether they even had a complete ban set to go into effect.

What part of MS do you live in?
I am in south Mississippi, right outside Hattiesburg and work on Camp Shelby. Opinions on abortion are split down here. The religious section of the voters are in favor of a total ban. Keep in mind, Mississippi has the highest ratio of churches per square mile. The other portion are in favor if its prior to 16 weeks, like the bill stated that was brought to SCOTUS. Most down here are Evangelicals or Devout Baptists and their ideologies permeate every aspect of their life. They believe life starts at conception. Even with that being said, all are in favor of abortion for medically necessity. Despite what the news says, even most voters on the religious right are in favor if the mother's life depends on it. The views start splitting when a discussion of abortion as a form of contraceptive against unwanted pregnancy is concerned. Most of them feel that if birth control, condoms, or plan B was used, then the issue wouldn't be there in the first place.

There is a trigger laws but here are the exceptions "...The only exceptions are to save the mother's life or if the woman is a victim of rape, provided she has reported the crime to law enforcement. There are no exceptions for incest. ..." I would have to imagine since the trigger law is older that there will be upcoming legislation to include cases of incest. In effect, the trigger law would only ban abortions (with the exclusion of incest cases) if being used for unwanted cases.

I am not sure I buy that this is a referendum that compels some conclusion at a meta level. It's one vote. Maybe, but let's see after 2 or 3 more.

More significant may be its indicator as a voter motivation issue for Dems in mid terms and 2024.

This is exactly what our Supreme Court intended: have the people decide state by state.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Put everything up to a referendum vote and the culture war would go away overnight, both sides would get slaughtered.
I wouldn't go that far, but it would certainly change the landscape on some issues. The Florida felon voting thing is another example. The voters passed that referendum, then the (GOP) politicians watered it all down.

This issue could be its own thread.

Just want to point this out as many folks might not know this:

Not all Baptist churches in the south or elsewhere are members of the Southern Baptists org....our church is 100% independent and does not having anything to do with them or ANY other organization. It is in our charter.

So do not think just because someone goes to a Baptist church or calls themselves a Baptist (we do not...nor do we believe God cares what denomination someone claims to be) that they are in any way linked to the SB....it simply is not true.

Just a heads up..
Piggy back, not all Baptist or Southern Baptist are Republicans. Democrats sing hymns on Sunday and are Pro-Life too.

For the people in the middle. On the (religious) right and left they don't much care about that line of demarcation.

I agree with you there but the extreme right is zero tolerance. I think the number of people on the left who would support a right to abortion to the very end of a pregnancy is tiny, tiny compared to the zero tolerance bunch on the right. Having said that, I don't think there are that many on the right who still say no in the case of rape or incest (some, but its a fraction of the whole).

But the extremes seem to define the debate, which is a shame. It is not true that all women impregnated by a relative will be forced to term, nor is it true that abortion is simply a matter of convenience for all women.

Reactions: OHvol40
Thanks for saving the midterms, Mr. Alito!

Funny thing is this exactly what was intended by the ruling. Putting the subject to vote by citizens of the states. And good for Kansas citizens showing up and voting voicing their desires on this subject.

Now, would you also think it a good thing if another states shows a similar increase in voter registration and a different result???

I simply don’t understand the stupidity of this “Dobbs decision is going to save the mid terms, look at Kansas”.

Dobbs sent the decision back to each state. Constitutionally where it belongs. And Kansas, a solidly GOP state, put the vote to the people of Kansas and they chose state legislative protections. For Kansas.

That is exactly how it should work and has absolutely zero bearing on the midterms. Watching ABC Nightly News they were even propagating this stupidity.

I simply don’t understand the stupidity of this “Dobbs decision is going to save the mid terms, look at Kansas”.

Dobbs sent the decision back to each state. Constitutionally where it belongs. And Kansas, a solidly GOP state, put the vote to the people of Kansas and they chose state legislative protections. For Kansas.

That is exactly how it should work and has absolutely zero bearing on the midterms. Watching ABC Nightly News they were even propagating this stupidity.
It may have something to do with the fact that it increased the democratic turnout far more than the repub turnout.

Oh yeah. That must be it… in Kansas.

Thank you for the display of why we ridicule you so much.
Abortion rights victory in Kansas gives Democrats new hope for midterms - CNNPolitics
It isn't often that Democrats look to deep-red Kansas for resounding affirmation. But on Tuesday night, when Kansans overwhelmingly voted to keep protections for abortion rights in their state constitution, that is exactly what happened.
The size and scope of the result were a shock to even the most optimistic Democrats.
Democratic and Republican operatives acknowledged Wednesday that the result in Kansas, while limited to one state, could shift the way each party approaches the midterms.

When's your birthday? I'm thinking of buying you a clue.

Abortion rights victory in Kansas gives Democrats new hope for midterms - CNNPolitics
It isn't often that Democrats look to deep-red Kansas for resounding affirmation. But on Tuesday night, when Kansans overwhelmingly voted to keep protections for abortion rights in their state constitution, that is exactly what happened.
The size and scope of the result were a shock to even the most optimistic Democrats.
Democratic and Republican operatives acknowledged Wednesday that the result in Kansas, while limited to one state, could shift the way each party approaches the midterms.

Repeating the same stupidity I already pointed at mockingly isn’t providing any clarity. I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t be interested in anything you consider a clue but thanks for the offer.

Honest question. Maybe I’ve missed it in the posted links, but is the increase in womens voter registration all Democrats? Or is it that women across the board registered to vote on an issue they agree on across political parties? Was there any other data showing the increase in votes was across all issues favoring Dems?

Repeating the same stupidity I already pointed at mockingly isn’t providing any clarity. I’m fairly certain I wouldn’t be interested in anything you consider a clue but thanks for the offer.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article263946446.html
Turnout was especially impressive in Johnson County at 53.7%: a tally nearly unheard of in a primary election. Nearly a quarter of a million votes were cast—244,818 to be precise. Around half of these votes were cast in person on Election Day, while nearly 100,000 were cast early in person. The rest were absentee ballots, some of which will continue to arrive at the election office in the coming days.

BTW - Johnson County is the most populace county in Kansas, and we all know what population density does to voters.

Last edited:
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article263946446.html
Turnout was especially impressive in Johnson County at 53.7%: a tally nearly unheard of in a primary election. Nearly a quarter of a million votes were cast—244,818 to be precise. Around half of these votes were cast in person on Election Day, while nearly 100,000 were cast early in person. The rest were absentee ballots, some of which will continue to arrive at the election office in the coming days.

BTW - Johnson County is the most populace county in Kansas, and we all know what population density does to voters.
Good for Kansas voters in turning out to have their votes counted in an issue that directly impacts their state laws. And still has jack 💩 to do with November federal elections.

Oh I absolutely believe it. All the GOP has to do is hammer home the economy facts and the rest will take care of itself. If this somehow gets them to shut the hell up on abortion then that’s just bonus.

💯
Two things.

The economy directly affects all of us. Which party likely has more support: the one that rights the ship and puts more money back into our pockets or the one that continues the out of control free fall and steals even more money from our checks? Hmmmm I wonder...

Midterms are not polarizing to the gen pop whereas abortion laws are. Of course you will have higher turnout and new registered voters to voice their opinions. You are hard pressed to see this much activity in November.

Luther is a dingbat.

VN Store

Back