Rob Preston(athens Chamber of Commerce President) cries to the Times Free Press

BOP

Mark Wiedmer: 'Overboard' Vols fans vicious on Saban's visit | timesfreepress.com

"We're going to have extra security that night, both for Coach Saban and myself," he said. "We'll be prepared."

Anyone have a list of the 500+ Athens Chamber businesses?

Let's send a message to this idiot who obviously doesn't get it. No one is going to harm you physically nor did they threaten to. We are going to harm the businesses you represent.

Reactions: 3 people
Who cares. I'm sure Saban's dying for that Athens talent base.

Those of us who are born and raised in Tennessee care. It's about being loyal to your state. Something that the town of Athens does not understand and it is going to hurt Athens in the long run.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 5 people
This is a little harsh, I dislike Satan as much as anyone, but asking him to speak is not a crime. If he was where I could here him speak, I would probably listen to him. He obviously knows some about coaching and is a big draw to the Chamber in Athens. The only thing I have against the decision is if CBJ was available to speak, he should have been chosen and not Satan.

Reactions: 2 people
How is Saban speaking in Athens, TN any worse than the University of Tennessee allowing the University of Alabama alumni association to rent out space at UT's visitor center each month for their meetings? UT allowed this for over 40 years before they stopped it.

I'm sure there are plenty of places in Knoxville they can meet but for over 40 years they meet on UT's campus? That to me is a lot worse than Saban speaking at an Athens Chamber function.

Reactions: 13 people
This is a little harsh, I dislike Satan as much as anyone, but asking him to speak is not a crime. If he was where I could here him speak, I would probably listen to him. He obviously knows some about coaching and is a big draw to the Chamber in Athens. The only thing I have against the decision is if CBJ was available to speak, he should have been chosen and not Satan.
Getting slapped in the face isn't a crime, either. But that's precisely what this group has done to their fellow statesmen...inviting a rival of the state, instead of a proponent of it.

Reactions: 1 person
How is Saban speaking in Athens, TN any worse than the University of Tennessee allowing the University of Alabama alumni association to rent out space at UT's visitor center each month for their meetings? UT allowed this for over 40 years before they stopped it.

I'm sure there are plenty of places in Knoxville they can meet but for over 40 years they meet on UT's campus? That to me is a lot worse than Saban speaking at an Athens Chamber function.

That's because you aren't very smart. If an Alabama Alumni Association wants Saban to speak in Athens they can invite him. This is the cities chamber of commerce hopping on the Alabama bandwagon to make a quick buck and laughing at the long-term consequences.

God is great. Beer is good. And people are crazy.

Some more than others.

Mark Richt can speak in Gainesville and I wouldn't care

Reactions: 9 people
God is great. Beer is good. And people are crazy.

Some more than others.

Mark Richt can speak in Gainesville and I wouldn't care

Who cares whether you would care. This isn't Gainesville and it isn't Knoxville and it isn't an alumni association. This is the chamber of commerce of a small town in East Tennessee selling out and now trying to get publicity for it.

Reactions: 6 people
Who cares whether you would care. This isn't Gainesville and it isn't Knoxville and it isn't an alumni association. This is the chamber of commerce of a small town in East Tennessee selling out and now trying to get publicity for it.

So what

the TN legislature should just end this and institute an emergency height requirement to cross the border

Reactions: 11 people
wow

this is a free country guys and if they want to have Saban speak at their charity event they have every right to do so.
no reason to get so emotional over it.

I'm not asking you to join in the boycott, I don't really care about your opinion. I don't really care about Tennessee fans opinions about my opinion. I think this is a joke and an embarrassment. I would like to be able to travel in East Tennessee without seeing Nick Saban billboards. I don't want to go through this every when the next town decides to use Athen's model to make a quick buck because Tennessee fans did not make Athens pay for these short-sided and disrespectful behaviors.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back