Rob Lewis on Aidoo

I'm not excusing his missed shots, but otherwise he seemed undersized and outmanned by Edey. The players Barnes put in to take his place didn't have any better luck controlling Lurch or stopping their game plan. . IMHo we can't hang this loss on our undersized big man
It would have been better if his shots at least hit the rim.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Jonas needs to spend the entire off season developing an 8-12 foot jumper. If he can push himself to shoot thousands of those shots over the next several months, he could be deadly.

Not sure what was up the last couple of games, but he seemed to have lost a half step. Seemed timid and somewhat intimidated.

Imagine having Awaka in the paint and Aidoo kind of like a hybrid low post wing player with a jump shot....

In this day and age, it would suck, but I could see him transferring. I hope he is the dedicated person I think he is.
He just needs to get much stronger and a change in attitude. It would be nice if he could hit a couple of shots from 15-20 feet, but he needs to play in the paint much better on offense and defense.

Don't know anything about him, but if he can walk/run dunk the ball and play any kind of defense, why not try to get him or someone bigger and better.
I'm all for getting a post player with some physicality and that can defend, but I want a guy who can produce offensively, too. I know the Edey experience has us longing for a guy like Plavi, but how often are we going to face a guy like Edey? The game today doesn't see a lot of post up type centers. Roster spots are precious so I'd not want to waste a spot on a one trick pony. Instead, in todays game you want guys like Aidoo. I don't mind his game. It's his lack of grit and physicality that's a turn off for me. Rueben doesn't hit 50% from the FT line. Not sure that's a great sign. Gimme a guy like Aidoo with some physicality and who shows up to play night in and night out and I'll be happy.

He has no hands. Especially pressured.
I remember watching games early in the year and announcers were circle jerking about his "soft paws" every game. But yeah late in the year he seemed to fumble everything and get stripped trying to put the ball on the floor instead of just going straight up to the basket with it.

If he continues to do these weak things, that indicates he gets away with it in practice. He’s had plenty of time to get out of the habit or to improve in those areas. He has done neither.

Can't really blame illness for Aidoo or Vescovi. Even at full health, we'd seen this sort of thing before. It's just the way things go for this program. Having Vescovi ill just kind of fits with the curse on our hopes and dreams as a fan base. Folks call me a nega, but from 30,000 feet, I'd argue is just being a student of history and realistic. As for Aidoo, I don't think he was there. Pretty sure he was somewhere between Kansas and North Carolina in his mind. Seriously, he will be a piece of the puzzle at those places. At UT next year, he'd be looked at to help lead and help carry the team. I don't think Aidoo is comfortable with that. Guys like Knecht and ZZ are bigger than the moment, but Aidoo can't handle that type of expectation and pressure. Just not his personality. I think he'll see the lure of a blue blood, NIL and not having to shoulder so much weight at one of those programs and jumps to the portal. Don't get me wrong. Every player will have an off game. Sometimes the ball just doesn't fall. However, having a game where a player is kinda checked out? Nah. Can't have players doing that. Shots weren't falling for ZZ but Barnes didn't bench him. Aidoo just showed that the game/moment was too big for him and Barnes sat him. There's a difference. I can accept losing with kids like ZZ who go down swinging. I can't accept guys who turtle up when things get tough. I'd encourage Aidoo to move to greener pastures and use the portal to try and get a post that will show up and play hard every single game. Maybe he won't be as productive overall as Aidoo, but he'll be "present" and "active" more consistently. Knowing what you'll get from a kid night in and night out goes a long way and it sure makes a coaches job a heckuva lot easier.
I don’t agree at all that Aidoo was checked out. He struggled against the best big mean we saw this year. Of course the best we saw were the best in the country. Aidoo is good but he’s not in the very top tier like Edey, Dickinson and others. He had a bad game against who will likely be the two-time NPOY and really had a bad tournament overall but I don’t think he was checked out at all, not with a legit shot at the NC. You see it your way and I see it mine so it is what it is.

If he continues to do these weak things, that indicates he gets away with it in practice. He’s had plenty of time to get out of the habit or to improve in those areas. He has done neither.
Ah, so Barnes isn’t pushing his guys in practice huh? Wait, I thought the narrative was we pushed them too hard in practice. This is the first I’ve heard of being too soft on guys in practice.

Edey wasn't too big for him. The stage was too big for him. When he didn't fumble the ball he was missing wide open 5-10 footers.

Gimme a break. Those were not easy shots. The problem was taking them in the first place.

Creighton's center pushed him around. Of course Edey was too big for him. People will say anything.

Reactions: walkenvol
I heard Kesling suggest that Aidoo caught the bug that knocked Vescovi out. But that wasn’t as bad as it was when JJJ and ZZ and Alexander were out with injuries in prior NCAATs. Awaka and Estrella were pretty good dealing with a near impossible situation in Edey.
If he caught the bug he's had it all year. Can't make a pass can't shoot a lay up! Geez!!!!!!

Geez!!!! He made all SEC. We don't win the SEC without him.

Yeah

12 rebounds and > 4 stocks per 40

The idea that you need scoring from center is ridiculously outdated. Aidoo is the typical modern center. Look what Gobert did for the Jazz and is doing for the Wolves. He's got worse hands and touch than Aidoo does. Aidoo will likely be a better pro than Edey.

We didn't have the shooting to punish Purdue for putting Edey on the floor. In that scenario, Aidoo becomes a rim running problem for Edey

Gimme a break. Those were not easy shots. The problem was taking them in the first place.

Creighton's center pushed him around. Of course Edey was too big for him. People will say anything.
So you’re saying that a wide open 5 to 8 foot jumper isn’t easy? Especially when we’ve seen Jonas consistently hit out to 15 feet. He is supposed to take those shots. He missed at least 3 of those and Edey wasn’t close to him. He short armed every one of them.

Reactions: Native Orange
So you’re saying that a wide open 5 to 8 foot jumper isn’t easy? Especially when we’ve seen Jonas consistently hit out to 15 feet. He is supposed to take those shots. He missed at least 3 of those and Edey wasn’t close to him. He short armed every one of them.

That's not how it was, IIRC. I remember some shorter floaters that weren't very open and I remember a long jumper. I remember thinking I didn't like any of those shots. I'm gonna have to go see now

That's not how it was, IIRC. I remember some shorter floaters that weren't very open and I remember a long jumper. I remember thinking I didn't like any of those shots. I'm gonna have to go see now
There were a couple of ill advised shots for sure but I remember 3 short jumpers with no pressure that he just missed. He was just off and not sure why.

Yeah, I don't like any of these shots unless the shot clock is down to 5" or less. Pretty funny that multiple people remembered these as wide open 5-10' shots. These are not high percentage shots for > 95% of centers.

Not open

1712085450153.png

Contested 12-footer

1712085530162.png

contested 17-footer

1712085586948.png

Semi-contested 12-footer

1712085738310.png

Last edited:

They were wide open shots he's been hitting all year.

Yeah, I don't like any of these shots unless the shot clock is down to 5" or less. Pretty funny that multiple people remembered these as wide open 5-10' shots. These are not high percentage shots for > 95% of centers.

Not open

View attachment 631556

Contested 12-footer

View attachment 631558

contested 17-footer

View attachment 631559

Semi-contested 12-footer

View attachment 631562
Those last two shots are barely contested for a 7-footer. No effect on either one of them from the close-out defender. If he's gonna take them, he's got to be able to keep defenses honest.

Those wanting him gone are being reactionary, but people have to understand and admit how bad he was in the NCAAT on the whole. He was a liability in every game but St. Peter's, who had no one who could match up with him.

Those last two shots are barely contested for a 7-footer. No effect on either one of them from the close-out defender. If he's gonna take them, he's got to be able to keep defenses honest.

Those wanting him gone are being reactionary, but people have to understand and admit how bad he was in the NCAAT on the whole. He was a liability in every game but St. Peter's, who had no one who could match up with him.
Definitely not wide open from 5-8 feet as someone claimed.

Edit: Agreed he had a bad tournament though.

The point is that they were not "wide open 5-10 footers"

That left handed, shot-put thing early in the game was weak and nervous looking. Maybe he has the perseverance to improve the mental part of the game. He's improved every year to the point that we wouldn't have won the SEC this year without him. Let's see what happens with him before inappropriately disparaging him

VN Store

Back