Rob Lewis on Aidoo

no one expected him to out play Edey but OTOH no one expected him to completely disappear either.

"I don’t ever delight in being critical of college athletes, but man, Tennessee needed more from Jonas Aidoo than the Vols got today.

His development this season has been a huge key to Tennessee’s success, and the Vols were going to need him to be a factor today against Edey.

Aidoo was scoreless going 0-for-3 from the floor. He grabbed three rebounds in 10 minutes of play and after he picked up third foul with 16:59 left. Barnes had apparently seen enough. He didn’t play Aidoo the rest of the way, opting to go with Estrella.

The fact that Barnes sat Aidoo, the team’s third leading scorer, for 16:59 in the second half of an Elite Eight game is significant."

3 out of the last 4 years we have been destroyed by the other teams big man in the Tourney; Roman Silva of Oregon State , Gordon Dickinson of Michigan and Edey this year. Barnes has done a great job of recrruitiing wings and PGs but has never gotten the aircraft carrier in the middle.
I can't help but think he was under the weather. He just didnt look all there.

I was impressed with the progress Aidoo made from last year to this year’s regular season. But he regressed at the end of the season/tournament. Hopefully he takes the disappointing end of season as motivation to make another leap. If not, Estrella and Awaka are going to pass him.
Well you have to figure the talent pool goes up at tourney time. Ain't no turkeys to play this time of year.

Yeah the 5 second has me puzzled. I did not see a lot of the elbowing or fouls by Edey that others keep pointing out on here. I think Edey stood with one foot out of the center to avoid 5 second.

I think the guy has mastered how to not get the fouls and how to draw it from others. I think that is the difference. He tows the line, definitely, but he knows what will be called and what won't.
I don’t think he mastered it so much as he’s so much bigger that reds assume he got fouled any time he didn’t score.

I'm really liking Estrella. I thought he played phenomenal against Edey and he has fire in him. Awaka did really well too. You really couldn't ask for much better from either one of those guys against the monster.

Was amazed at the way he pushed edey off his spots. Edey hardly ever caught the pass in the paint. Estrella forced him to catch the pass then dribble down. AND he was tall enough to affect the shot. Refs allowed edey to be a bulldozer but wouldn't let us breathe on him. I'd bet half his points came from the foul line

Reactions: Voljayton
What the hell are you talking about with this OLIVIER NKAMHOUSA stuff? I was merely stating that Hunter was Dikckinson's first name that played for Michigan two years ago. Sheesh...
He’s talking about Mr. Consistency. One night Olivier would play like Jason Tatum and the next night like PeeWee Herman. I don’t blame Barnes at all for not bringing him back. Never knew what you were going to get.

He’s talking about Mr. Consistency. One night Olivier would play like Jason Tatum and the next night like PeeWee Herman. I don’t blame Barnes at all for not bringing him back. Never knew what you were going to get.
OK. Gotcha

He had this look on his face like he was getting screwed dry by the refs. Trying his damnedest and Edey just camped out for 8-10 seconds at a time in the paint.
Your point with Edey and the paint is the BIGGEST issue with Edey...letting him stay in the paint pretty much as long as it took completely changed the game and is a much bigger factor than fouls, missed shots, lack of rebounding etc. Edey is CLEARLY 100% more effective inside the paint than outside. CLEARLY. That rule simply needs to be looked at and decided by the rules committee. Do we extend the 3 sec to 5 sec and put an emphasis on enforcement, do we do away with rule, or do we start enforcement as its written? IDK...but something needs to be done so the legitimacy of the rules enforcement can stay intact. If he'd been made to leave the paint and reestablish his position properly...he'd be much more containable. JMO

I don't understand why he took so many shots early in this huge game. He is a low percentage jump shot shooter. His job in this game was just to keep LURCH from getting to his spot and get some rebounds. He didn't return because he was playing soft.
I think they were trying to move Edey off the block a little by having Aidoo hit some 10 to 12 footers. He just doesn't make them most nights. Occassionally he is on with it.

Reactions: VOLtaism
Many of the comments posted here before the game warned that the game would come down to how the ref's let them play, and if our big guys got 2 fouls early it could be a long day for us. I think Aidoo was under sized -- he may not felt comfortable to score on him, but on defense, he clawed, hammered Edey and got 2 fouls somewhat early. that has an effect on how you play
His second foul was a stupid foul against a guard near half court. That was a sign of just how much he wasn't locked in.

We have no clue as to what’s going on in Aidoo’s life. He’s been a great player most of the year. Chris Lofton was battling cancer and didn’t tell anyone until way after that season. People shouldn’t be so quick to turn on our players.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some of our fans showed up at the airport to heckle the players. 🤣

Reactions: walkenvol
I'm not excusing his missed shots, but otherwise he seemed undersized and outmanned by Edey. The players Barnes put in to take his place didn't have any better luck controlling Lurch or stopping their game plan. . IMHo we can't hang this loss on our undersized big man
Disagree. Awaka was far better at beating Edey to the spot and keeping Edey out. Estrella was far better than both Awaka and Aidoo of defending Edey once he had the ball. Sure, Edey scored on all 3 of those guys but Aidoo was easily the worst of the bunch.

We have no clue as to what’s going on in Aidoo’s life. He’s been a great player most of the year. Chris Lofton was battling cancer and didn’t tell anyone until way after that season. People shouldn’t be so quick to turn on our players.
He had a tough tournament but I agree with what someone else said on here. We wouldn’t have been where we were without Aidoo. Hopefully he comes back even better next year. His improvement is clear to see.

He had a tough tournament but I agree with what someone else said on here. We wouldn’t have been where we were without Aidoo. Hopefully he comes back even better next year. His improvement is clear to see.
For most of the year, he made those shots especially when left wide open like he was this past Sunday. He was just too nervous. Short armed everything.

Reactions: hUTch2002
I can't help but think he was under the weather. He just didnt look all there.
Can't really blame illness for Aidoo or Vescovi. Even at full health, we'd seen this sort of thing before. It's just the way things go for this program. Having Vescovi ill just kind of fits with the curse on our hopes and dreams as a fan base. Folks call me a nega, but from 30,000 feet, I'd argue is just being a student of history and realistic. As for Aidoo, I don't think he was there. Pretty sure he was somewhere between Kansas and North Carolina in his mind. Seriously, he will be a piece of the puzzle at those places. At UT next year, he'd be looked at to help lead and help carry the team. I don't think Aidoo is comfortable with that. Guys like Knecht and ZZ are bigger than the moment, but Aidoo can't handle that type of expectation and pressure. Just not his personality. I think he'll see the lure of a blue blood, NIL and not having to shoulder so much weight at one of those programs and jumps to the portal. Don't get me wrong. Every player will have an off game. Sometimes the ball just doesn't fall. However, having a game where a player is kinda checked out? Nah. Can't have players doing that. Shots weren't falling for ZZ but Barnes didn't bench him. Aidoo just showed that the game/moment was too big for him and Barnes sat him. There's a difference. I can accept losing with kids like ZZ who go down swinging. I can't accept guys who turtle up when things get tough. I'd encourage Aidoo to move to greener pastures and use the portal to try and get a post that will show up and play hard every single game. Maybe he won't be as productive overall as Aidoo, but he'll be "present" and "active" more consistently. Knowing what you'll get from a kid night in and night out goes a long way and it sure makes a coaches job a heckuva lot easier.

Don't know anything about him, but if he can walk/run dunk the ball and play any kind of defense, why not try to get him or someone bigger and better.

VN Store

Back