RIP New Redshirt Rule

I think it helps the roster size. It helps when trams get hurt. It lets more kids stay in college longer.

They shortened OT to prevent injuries latte in games. Why would they reverse this because some a$$ clown quit on his team??? Seems like they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think it helps the roster size. It helps when trams get hurt. It lets more kids stay in college longer.

They shortened OT to prevent injuries latte in games. Why would they reverse this because some a$$ clown quit on his team??? Seems like they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
They’re not. Football Scoop needed an idea for an article. 😴

I like the 4 game rule if the 4 games are at the end of the season. I don’t like rule that encourages kids to quit their team after 4 games to save a redshirt yr.

Reactions: VolnJC
I believe he new redshirt rule is about as universally popular as any rule can be. It makes sense to tighten it up as we see how it affects the game.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I love the 4 game rule. It gives players game time experience they would otherwise not get. It is huge when rosters are depleted due to injury. You do not have to ruin an entire year of eligibility to put a player in for one series or one game to cover for an injured player.

I love the 4 game rule. It gives players game time experience they would otherwise not get. It is huge when rosters are depleted due to injury. You do not have to ruin an entire year of eligibility to put a player in for one series or one game to cover for an injured player.
I guess a good compromise is that it would only be open to players during their first 2 years of eligibility?

I guess a good compromise is that it would only be open to players during their first 2 years of eligibility?
I would have no problem with that. If a player hasn't seen the field by their junior season or rs soph season there is a good chance they aren't going to get much playing time regardless. Most red shirts are burned on freshmen and sophomores anyway.

I love the new rule and I like how coaches can use it to help their rosters whether it be for the current season or down the road like we are doing with a certain WR. As for players playing 4 games and quitting that can be fixed easy, you should have to finish the year with the team you started with in order to get a RS for that year.

Just never understood how giving players opportunities could possibly hurt the game! Take Quentin Dormady. He dutifully backed up Dobbs for two seasons and didn’t redshirt. His shot at UT tanked epically...some his fault a lot of it a program tanking. So he graduate transfers back to Texas and lands on a team (Houston) with a quarterback he couldn’t beat out. Having an unused redshirt to use in conjunction with a loophole that requires you to graduate early shouldn’t be a penalty and him finally getting it right at Central Michigan is a good result in any world. Feeling duped or used by these expanded options, is just determination to be so.

The 4 game redshirt rule helps players. It must be changed. Do away with redshirts all together and go back to Freshmen not being able to play at all. That would really stick it to the players. The last thing we need is helping players that need time to develop or extend their time in college to further their degrees.

On the other hand, maybe the 4 game rule is a good idea.

VN Store

Back