RIP New Redshirt Rule

Seems like a great rule, and 4 games seem about right. Why should a player get penalized if they get hurt, or are just needed for a couple of games, or can play a little in mop up duty to get better. Who gives a crap if a player wants to quit after the four games. They either don’t want to be there or aren’t good enough to get the playing time. Probably better for both sides if they leave anyway.

I like the 4 game rule. I'd like it to be half the season instead.

Change the rule to 3 games and make it so it only applies to freshman and sophomores. ALSO, add that they can play in a bowl game (playoff games) as well without burning a year

So, what's the problem with it? Even the so called abuses don't seem like any problem to me. Who is it hurting? Players have a very limited amount of time to play college football so anything that helps them take the best advantage of that time is ok with me.

Either keep this rule in place or give 10 more scholarships so coaches can build a roster. Injuries, etc. can really hurt a team and tough decisions must be made to allow players to play a few quarters or games but it costs a year of eligibility. Leave it like it is as it benefits both programs and players. I kind of like what Holgerson did at Houston and red-shirted a ton of people and kissed this season goodbye. New coaches have few tools to work with to rebuild a program - 10 more scholarships would sure help and the 4 game rule for redshirts is a fantastic rule. It stands to reason that a few twerpy ADs would whine/crybaby around and try to fix something that is working well.

I don't like any rule that allows players like Houston's King to quit on his team mid-year. Don't think for a second he won't be the 4th transfer QB in a row next year to Oklahoma.

It helps to mesh in freshmen who are working hard “but not there yet”, but give them some game time experience to look forward to. Not sure what’s wrong with that. If small % misuse it, who cares.

I would have no problem with that. If a player hasn't seen the field by their junior season or rs soph season there is a good chance they aren't going to get much playing time regardless. Most red shirts are burned on freshmen and sophomores anyway.

Kelly Bryant would not like that rule.

Why not just give student/athletes 5 years instead of 4 and do away with this redshirt nonsense?

Either keep this rule in place or give 10 more scholarships so coaches can build a roster. Injuries, etc. can really hurt a team and tough decisions must be made to allow players to play a few quarters or games but it costs a year of eligibility. Leave it like it is as it benefits both programs and players. I kind of like what Holgerson did at Houston and red-shirted a ton of people and kissed this season goodbye. New coaches have few tools to work with to rebuild a program - 10 more scholarships would sure help and the 4 game rule for redshirts is a fantastic rule. It stands to reason that a few twerpy ADs would whine/crybaby around and try to fix something that is working well.
This is a slippery slope situation. With the transfer portal now in use, the scholarship maxium remaining, and the 25 new scholarship limet reducing one's ability to replace those lost through the portal, Coaches are faced the possibility of seeing their rosters reduced to 65 instead of 85 and most of those who make up the 65, are incoming Freshmen, red-shirt Freshmen and players obtained through the portal. Not a very stable very situation for most schools. This is what happen with "knee jerk" decisions by the good ole NCAA.

Question, has the NCAA ALWAYS screwed around with the rules with college football year over with this much frequency? Maybe I just didn't pay as much attention to it growing up but I don't remember there being constant rule changes every year to the sport the way there is now. Now it's as a bad as freaking NASCAR with the way the NCAA is constantly tinkering with the rules!

VN Store

Back