Riley to USC…the inevitable Josh Heupel to OU freak out thread

Unless Danny White leaves then I have no doubt that he will retain Heupel. Heupel can just call Kiffen and ask him how leaving after one yr with the Vols to take his dream job, worked out for him. 😉

USC job opened late compared to others, Kiffin was like the 5th or 6th choice after top targets said no.

Right now we are at the first stage of the job opening up late compared to others in the market.

Heupel has a buyout. Heupel and IU left on bad terms. White was Heupels AD at his previous job. We have a staff comprised of quite a few assistants from Heupels tenure at UCF. It’s not even close.

This may explain why LSU is cozying up to Mark Stoops lately.

And in all the backwash, someone is going to snatch up Dan Mullen. Maybe not a heavyweight, but a Kentucky or Va Tech.

Either would be a good spot of him. He’s a great coach just not much of a recruiter. He’s suited for that type of program

Reactions: Jaws
Heupel has a buyout. Heupel and IU left on bad terms. White was Heupels AD at his previous job. We have a staff comprised of quite a few assistants from Heupels tenure at UCF. It’s not even close.

Kiffin had a buyout. Not sure why you are saying he didn’t have a buyout at Tennessee.

Jaws...you were a real Mullen fan and made a good case for the guy. Any insight into why his team would just quit on him? I am not reveling in UFs misfortune (at the moment) but am truly curious. I thought the goy would be there for a long time,

One of the most stunning and unexpected things I’ve seen, and I expect more explanations will leak out at some point, but from what I’ve heard so far, his relationship with Grantham and Hevesy became really toxic and that spilled over to dysfunction within the team. And his relationship with AD Stricklin went bad too, mostly over Mullen not really wanting to hear from the AD about things like recruiting and coaching staff changes.

But I generally agree, he’s a helluva good coach and still has some good tread on his tires. He’ll get another shot somewhere.

It’s more about what he has earned. It’s also about what we stand to lose. This program desperately needs stability

OMG THIS!!!! We need a good coach and staff to rebuild not another mattress burning episode why is that so hard to get that! CJH might not be the best coach in the country but he seems to be the right coach for Rocky Top right now and that's worth a lot to this program.

One of the most stunning and unexpected things I’ve seen, and I expect more explanations will leak out at some point, but from what I’ve heard so far, his relationship with Grantham and Hevesy became really toxic and that spilled over to dysfunction within the team. And his relationship with AD Stricklin went bad too, mostly over Mullen not really wanting to hear from the AD about things like recruiting and coaching staff changes.

But I generally agree, he’s a helluva good coach and still has some good tread on his tires. He’ll get another shot somewhere.

Interesting to see what happens. I view Mullen as someone getting served humble pie with his firing because of recruiting slipping. Does he adapt and learn and climb back or does he set in his ways and not change.

Reactions: Jaws

I agree with this. Between his AD and an excellent staff, I think he stays even if they come at him. Oklahoma moving to the SEC makes it a less attractive job too because their path to the playoff just became much more difficult

Reactions: BigDave
You really consider what Kiffin had as a buyout? He literally negotiated a contract that said if ISU dream job opened, he could leave.

He had a buyout of 900K i believe. At the time, that was a hefty amount. However it was a nothing burger to USC.

VN Store

Back