Rickea Jackson is coming back!

I saw a recent interview where Caitlin Clark mentioned she was considering taking her COVID year. Reese could also take her COVID year. She seems to be really happy at LSU, and they will be contenders next year. If Paige is healthy, I could see her wanting to play another year (24-25) with Azzi. A lot could change with next years projected draft.

Angel Reese is only a junior (I think) and LSU is treating her COVID-19 year as a given. They are listing her as having two more years of eligibility. LSU also has the #1 signing class with the two ladies from the Webb School as well as the #1 recruit who is from Louisana. Coach Mulkey is building a formidable program.

I'm sure Coach Staley is not "Quiet Quitting" or "Laying down" because of Rickea's decision. SC will be SC and they will continue to be a difficult team to beat.

Now, having described the future SEC landscape, Rickea returning along with a healthy TK is huge. Hopefully, Jordan returns as well. Yet in the words of Chief Brody in the movie Jaws, "We're going to need a bigger boat." We need a tall atheletic point guard with a good handle who can get to the rim and score. We need a second guard with length who can shoot and is a lock down defender. Unfortunately, the two players we need are the same two needed by the other 350 Divison 1 schools. The difference is we have Rickea and TK and they don't.

Women's college basketball is so much better than the WNBA for the players. They are looked after so much better and there are die hard fans that cheer for every player. That's why she came back. All she had to do was look at Rae Burrell. She's currently playing in Australia then she'll probably be back in the WNBA. Others have to play in Russia, Greece, and numerous other countries just to make a decent living. And unlike men's basketball they only have a few years to make as much money as they possibly can.

Whether it's "cerebral" or not is completely irrelevant. The FACT is, today's players and family members are very much plugged into all forms of social media, and so it is always possible that anything said about them is going to be read, and internalized, by them. For certain, their monitoring of social media takes far higher priority than is healthy for any of them because of how casual fans can be with mean-spirited and hurtful comments and judgments, but it is now part of the culture -- like it or not.
I'm sure Jordan and her family realize that media and fan scruitiny will not magically disappear if she leaves for the W. It is part of life for any high profile athlete. Just like everyone else on every team, she has to learn to let go of what's not important. The chatter is part of the job, they all get it. That said, much as I'd love her to stay, a reset after four years may be best for her.

A number of great players and several great teams will be around next year. No need to inflate RJ's abilities; we don't want to turn her into Allayah Boston after all. Obviously she's one of the best and she and Key (and come on Jordy!) take us from the outhouse to full indoor facilities. But both the team and RJ as a player have room to improve. That's going to be one of the fun things, and something I really enjoyed watching this year. How much better can she get? I'm just imagining her with a reliable 3 pt shot!

Uhhh no. That is not at all what we need. She’s a Tess on defense but can’t shoot.
Not sure you’ve seen her play if you make that comparison. Especially the speed part…you might need to know Karen Weekly recruited her as a slapper.

WhooHOO!!. In an earlier post, I said there had never been a wronger statement in the history of the world than those (including me) who criticized Kellie for her discplinary stance toward Rickea and predicted gloom and doom would result.

We are now in second place. Thank you em_adler, whoever the heck you are!!!

Bwahahahaha. That’s good MTV!

I see some great and accurate posts being made following the news of Tamari Key and Rickea Jackson returning next season. Nobody is inflating the abilities of either player. RJ is arguably the most talented player in WCBB. Tamari Key has set a record in block shots at TN in 3 years and her presence was missed this season. Rickea Jackson is a WNBA projected lottery pick who is returning for another season following her transfer after sitting out part of her Jr. season and the Covid shutdown.
Tennessee is no longer in rebuilding mode heading into the 2023-2024 season. They enter next season as one of the best teams in WCBB.

Of all the things thrown out there about what brought RJ back I don’t think we should dismiss that she had fun this year with teammates and coaches that she cares about and care about her. She really had missed out on a lot of the fun of college team sports! Good for her! I hope she has a ball next year, knocks out that masters and makes a lifetime of memories and friends!
Additionally, there will be a lot of good players in the portal wanting to play with RK and TK. Selfishly I hope Jordy’s spot will be occupied!

Not sure you’ve seen her play if you make that comparison. Especially the speed part…you might need to know Karen Weekly recruited her as a slapper.

Great, maybe she can go play softball. Because she’s definitely not skilled enough to play basketball at Tennessee. If she was 40% or better from 3 she’d be worth a look.

She’s a 30% shooter from the field, 50% from the line. Only 12 steals the entire season and averaged 1.6 rebounds. That is not a player this staff is going to be interested in. Sorry. Just don’t see why people keep bringing her up. Clearly the staff wasn’t interested the first time and nothing from her freshman season screams “potential.”

We have Pissott who is 9 inches taller, a better shooter and has a better handle.

Reactions: volfan__18
Great, maybe she can go play softball. Because she’s definitely not skilled enough to play basketball at Tennessee. If she was 40% or better from 3 she’d be worth a look.

She’s a 30% shooter from the field, 50% from the line. Only 12 steals the entire season and averaged 1.6 rebounds. That is not a player this staff is going to be interested in. Sorry. Just don’t see why people keep bringing her up. Clearly the staff wasn’t interested the first time and nothing from her freshman season screams “potential.”

We have Pissott who is 9 inches taller, a better shooter and has a better handle.
Not to mention she played on a crappy team so if she did anything at all above average, it would look inflated because there weren't very many options. 6.7 points per game on a bottom dwelling team that didn't have one double digit scorer in its lineup doesn't really cut it.

We hopefully will see them again if we both make it to that game. The bad thing is Key has Kitley's number sick or well she can stop her from doing anything in a game. We won't have her, but Rickea will be back so it should be a great game.
va tech not easy win like some thing tk kept their center in check.

Imagine Rickea coming back shooting g the 3 like she did against So. Car. Would love to See her challenge Bueckers and Clark for NPOY.
Maybe that is her plan before she makes her move to the next level. Improve the range of her shot to include the 3 ball, tighten up her handles, and improve on the defensive side of the ball.

Jada Walker….lefty pg who can stroke the 3. Already has two years of SEC experience. Come on down Jada….
This! Jada Walker would be a great pickup. Everything you said above plus she's a coaches kid and you see very little emotion out of her on the floor. She was ranked 87 in hoopgurlz, but every time I see her play she looks like a top ranked point guard. She played great against us and she took it to South Carolina this year too. Little 17 point game on 8 of 18 shooting against the number 1 team in the country.

VN Store

Back