Rick Barnes thread (merged) (expected to be named TN coach 3/30 4:00pm)

Would a Rick Barnes hire make you happy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you all want Barnes, then you deserve the mediocrity you'll get.

Oh, he "went to the tourney a bunch of times"! Yeah, and sucked, royally sucked there.

Good grief people. There are a ton of good young coaches out there and you all want the Mark Richt of college basketball.

Reactions: 4 people
If you're only holding out for Marshall or Smart, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Why not give yourself a break..and the rest of us.

Lol, I'm not holding out for anyone. I fully expect a hire that is bargain basement. That's the point of my post. This university consistently takes advantage of an extremely loyal and passionate fan base. They know they can trot out another Buzz and the fan base will support him for three years.

As for my post, feel free to place me on ignore if they bother you so much. :hi:

Edit: Also, I doubt UT will pony up for what Rick Barnes will want either.

Last edited:

Oh, he "went to the tourney a bunch of times"! Yeah, and sucked, royally sucked there.

Good grief people. There are a ton of good young coaches out there and you all want the Mark Richt of college basketball.

So I fully expect you not post here or talk anything Vol Hoops ever again if he is hired.

Reactions: 1 person

God bless. Please stop with the comparison to mark richt! Geez!! Yeah consistently 9 & 10 win seasons is horrible. I love how people say how bad Richt and Barnes are, and their resumes tell a much different story!

I'll take the mediocrity compared to what we've seen since Pearl left.
If you think Barnes' record of NCAA appearances are mediocre, what did you think of Pearl's?

Hasn't won the conference out right in over a decade at by far the most powerful school in his conference. Stable! Watch their loss to ISU in the conference. That's what you can expect multiple times a year.

Hasn't won the conference out right in over a decade at by far the most powerful school in his conference. Stable! Watch their loss to ISU in the conference. That's what you can expect multiple times a year.

Kansas?

You're kidding yourself if you think Texas is by far the most powerful basketball school in that conference. People here seem to forget that Texas is the very definition of a football first school. Sure they have great facilities, but Basketball will never ever ever get the attention that the Hook 'Em Horns get.

Some of yall are absolutely delusional.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
So I fully expect you not post here or talk anything Vol Hoops ever again if he is hired.

Why? I suffered through plenty of terrible coaches and I'm not making the hire. Are you under the foolish assumption that my fandom precludes me from making any criticisms?

Better than getting a Derek Dooley of college basketball

God bless. Please stop with the comparison to mark richt! Geez!! Yeah consistently 9 & 10 win seasons is horrible. I love how people say how bad Richt and Barnes are, and their resumes tell a much different story!

What has Richt or Barnes ever won? They win a bunch of meaningless games and lose to anyone of importance time and time again.

The " I just want to make the tournament" people will be calling for him to be fired by year 4 or 5. Definitely not making the tournament next year, most likely not the
next, then first round exits the rest of the way.

Dozens of "I'm daggum tired of losing in the first round!" Threads

Rick Barnes was making roughly 2.5 million at Texas. He hasn't deserved a pay raise but I highly doubt we're paying that much money.
Hart might just be embarrassed enough to shell out.
Wouldn't bode well for his future if he hires another sleaze or a puppy that crashes under the pressure of rebuilding.

Why? I suffered through plenty of terrible coaches and I'm not making the hire. Are you under the foolish assumption that my fandom precludes me from making any criticisms?

No. I'm under the assumption that all you want is to b!tch and moan about every single thing. You criticize yet offer no other viable solutions.

Kansas?

You're kidding yourself if you think Texas is by far the most powerful basketball school in that conference. People here seem to forget that Texas is the very definition of a football first school. Sure they have great facilities, but Basketball will never ever ever got the attention that the Hook 'Em Horns get.

Some of yall are absolutely delusional.
Football school first, but it definitely seems like they're willing to pay Barnes to leave, and pony up to get a legit coach.

Also the SEC doesnt have too many Oklahoma, Kansas, Baylor, ISU or WVU type teams. Kentucky is very good but LSU, Georgia, Arkansas and Ole Miss can't Be mentioned with the likes of the upper half of the Big 12

What has Richt or Barnes ever won? They win a bunch of meaningless games and lose to anyone of importance time and time again.

What has Tennessee ever won?

Dude, making the tournament, believe it or not, is actually an accomplishment. Making it almost every decade isn't dominant, sure. But it's a heck of a lot more than respectable.

Barnes at Texas has been to the tourney more than our school. Those appearences matter and at a time with unparelleled parity (excluding this NBA team from Kentucky), any team can win in the first round.

The " I just want to make the tournament" people will be calling for him to be fired by year 4 or 5. Definitely not making the tournament next year, most likely not the

We don't know what will happen. The past is in the past. You may pride yourself on being a wizard but you're truly not a vol fan because you and your wizardry didn't warn Hart of what was gonna happen under DT. Good job Gandalf

A final 4,2 elite eights, and 22 tournament appearances!! That's a better history than Tennessee as a program!! That's what he's accomplished. He's also managed to compile a 408-106 overall record, so yeah garbage. Those are just simple facts proving that you're wrong. Barnes has won a lot bigger games than Richt.

Reactions: 2 people

Good thing Rick Barnes is 60 and by year 4 or 5 we'd have a steady succesful program to hand to a coach with a high ceiling...

If Rick Barnes and TN come to an agreement, Barnes will easily be able to transform "the Longhorn hand sign" into the "Vol hand sign" by simply raising his middle finger.

Try it..do "the Longhorn sign", then raise your middle finger while continuing to maintain "the Longhorn sign". Boom, "the Vol sign" appears.

On the flip side (pun intended), he could raise his middle finger for a completely different reason with the amount Cheek and Hart will most likely offer.

P.S. this thread was intended solely for entertainment purposes.

Go Vols

Football school first, but it definitely seems like they're willing to pay Barnes to leave, and pony up to get a legit coach.

He's built Texas to be a continual contender in the conference, a great accomplishment. If Texas feels that they can hand the program over to a hot-shot coach then so be it. Don't overlook what Barnes has done for the Texas program though.

But you got to admit Texas isn't anywhere near Kansas as a basketball powerhouse. Not even close.

VN Store

Back