Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Barnes has landed 4 of the top 7 recruits in our programs history since rankings started. Yeah let’s fire that guy.
I agree with you. This has to be one of the dumbest threads on VN. CRB can coach here for as long as he wants. I might go buy season tickets just to show my support.

Winning coaches lull ignorant fans into a false sense of entitlement. It's already happening in basketball after Barnes literally resurrected us from the dead.
From where tennessee was at. It didn't take much regarding men's basketball. Barnes just collecting his big checks moving toward retirement. Good coach but not great. He is also stubborn.

Reactions: orangemadam
Staying in the top 25 shouldn’t be taken for granted. Neither should consistently getting into the NCAAT. Remaining in the conversation is a prerequisite for making Sweet 16s, EEs, and FFs. Achieving those levels require a lot of luck with uncontrollable variables. Lucky bounces, phantom fouls, and key injuries have kept TN from advancing deeper in recent tournaments. Continue to show up and the odds are those things will work out in TN’s favor now and then.

From where tennessee was at. It didn't take much regarding men's basketball. Barnes just collecting his big checks moving toward retirement. Good coach but not great. He is also stubborn.

Excuse me clown, you dropped your nose.

Reactions: bigdaddy
Ill stick with the coach who has more hair (oh and higher winning % stretched over many many more years than an unproven, small school coach trying to cash in on a couple of good years.)

Yeah, we need a coach that hasn't owned UK with 3 star players and hasn't recruited the best ever at UT the last couple of years! You will be eating your words when UT is in the FF this year or next! Barnes hasn't got a feel yet for how to get the best out of this young team. He will by the SEC or NCAA Tournament!
If this team makes the FF this year I'll eat a plate of crow on the Gay street bridge. I believe the odds are well in my favor.

Who, in your opinion, is not overrated?

anyone who has made the FF any season in past 5 yrs.

Any of those guys are worth $5M. Barnes is not that guy. Like I said, Tn is a fb school. We should keep Barnes but he will never take us to FF.

I hope I can eat the crow, but it's not gonna happen.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

Any of those guys are worth $5M. Barnes is not that guy. Like I said, Tn is a fb school. We should keep Barnes but he will never take us to FF.

You don’t think South Carolina would trade us Frank Martin for Rick Barnes while they’re in town tonight? And you would want to make that trade? Really?

Barnes owns Calipari and he’s made multiple Final Fours.

You don’t think UK fans would trade their season for ours? Lol

Pons is a great athlete, but he is limited offensively.
What he lacks in offensive production, he more than makes up for in defense. Bill Russell, 5 MVPs and 11 NBA championships, was arguably the greatest player in the history of the NBA, but he routinely ranked fourth or fifth on his team in offensive production throughout his career. I do think Pons should be more aggressive offensively, but he is our best player.

I’m sure Loyola Chicago agrees their coach is worth 5 million.

I personally don’t think we will make the final four this year. Next years roster will be totally different depending on who stays / goes, but right now on paper I don’t think it’s likely. Top 25 - yes. Top 4 - not likely. But definitely not saying it’s not possible.

I do believe the right time for UT as a program is for Barnes to retire when he’s on top. It’s much easier to get a top coach to come to UT when we are a consistent top 25 program vs a rebuilding. Ideally in the next couple years, IMO.

Reactions: Flovol
I personally don’t think we will make the final four this year. Next years roster will be totally different depending on who stays / goes, but right now on paper I don’t think it’s likely. Top 25 - yes. Top 4 - not likely. But definitely not saying it’s not possible.

I do believe the right time for UT as a program is for Barnes to retire when he’s on top. It’s much easier to get a top coach to come to UT when we are a consistent top 25 program vs a rebuilding. Ideally in the next couple years, IMO.
I think Coach Barnes could very well retire following the 2022-2023 or 2023-2024 season and the next Tennessee head basketball coach being possibly GSU Head Coach Rob Lanier,Wake Forest Head Coach Steve Forbes,Florida head coach Mike White or Alabama head coach Nate Oats.

I think Coach Barnes could very well retire following the 2022-2023 or 2023-2024 season and the next Tennessee head basketball coach being possibly GSU Head Coach Rob Lanier,Wake Forest Head Coach Steve Forbes,Florida head coach Mike White or Alabama head coach Nate Oats.

Did you really put Mike White on the list?

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back