Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

I'm not as pro-Barnes as some of the Barnes is Messiah posters on here but we have a very good program even though we have underachieved so far this year. We have some issues that need to be addressed, namely the recruiting of bigs, but by no means does it require a coaching change.

Reactions: lostsheep
Why do we have to compare Pearl and Barnes? They coach different and recruit different but the bottom line is they both win. All we need is to get a year older and the consistency will improve. I like both coaches both are really good at what they do. Pearl is more flamboyant and probably a better motivator, Barnes is better at player developmen. Would like to have seen what Tyndall could have done here, I think he was really good coach and making adjustments during the game. Kevin O‘Neil is the best recruiter we have had.
Wrong. Stu Aberdeen is the best recruiter we've ever had

If you honestly think you can land a 5 star basketball recruit without being dirty then I've got some beachfront property in TN I'd like to sell you.

I think your premise is flat wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not as pro-Barnes as some of the Barnes is Messiah posters on here but we have a very good program even though we have underachieved so far this year. We have some issues that need to be addressed, namely the recruiting of bigs, but by no means does it require a coaching change.

You are confusing posters pushing back on the ridiculous Barnes bashing with labeling him as a religious icon. Messiah? Deacon is about right.

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that the TN basketball program would be in better shape without him. As long as Barnes continues to build highly competitive teams he should be allowed to decide whatever terms he wants as far as his future at TN. Even if he goes 15-15 in the NCAAT through 2035.

Last edited:
You are confusing posters pushing back on the ridiculous Barnes bashing with labeling him as a religious icon. Messiah? Deacon is about right.

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that the TN basketball program would be in better shape without him. As long as Barnes continues to build highly competitive teams he should be allowed to decide whatever terms he wants as far as his future at TN. Even if he goes 15-15 in the NCAAT through 2035.
I’ve only seen one thread to replace Barnes and the guy was pretty much made a fool.

I did think it was funny that Isaiah Victor mentioned Barnes $5 million salary and that team performance falls on the guy getting the check.

As to recruiting, there are ways to legally or at least stretch some rules (without breaking) that would technically be benefits to student-athletes. While basketball recruiting is (or can be) a dirty business, I don't believe that all schools pay illegal benefits to 5 star players. One thing that comes to mind is the FedEx internship program that was helped set up by John Calipari at Memphis. It was believed to be a recruiting pitch because the players were allowed to work for FedEx and get paid. There are also other legal means of income flow that schools and/or others can help set up for student-athletes. Heck, I have heard Gary Parrish talk about taking out a loan that is stretched out to longer terms until a one and done player goes pro. After he becomes a professional, the NCAA can't get any information from him. You don't have to merely offer "cash benefits" to persuade someone to come.

Reactions: cardvolfan

Barnes is not in trouble. He's doing a fine job. I'm backing you on that. I'm just saying our program is bigger than him. We will have good teams after he retires.

Barnes is not in trouble. He's doing a fine job. I'm backing you on that. I'm just saying our program is bigger than him. We will have good teams after he retires.

Depends on who we hire.

If it’s an up & comer which most likely that’s what we’ll end up with, there’s no guarantee he’ll work out long term.

Very few elite coaches out there are going to leave their current destinations to come here. That’s just reality.

Depends on who we hire.

If it’s an up & comer which most likely that’s what we’ll end up with, there’s no guarantee he’ll work out long term.

Very few elite coaches out there are going to leave their current destinations to come here. That’s just reality.
Well he is not gonna coach forever. Barnes is gonna leave this program in better shape than when he got here. A decent AD will get us a good coach.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Yeah, we need a coach that hasn't owned UK with 3 star players and hasn't recruited the best ever at UT the last couple of years! You will be eating your words when UT is in the FF this year or next! Barnes hasn't got a feel yet for how to get the best out of this young team. He will by the SEC or NCAA Tournament!
Yeah, maybe, but his track record doesn't say that this is gonna happen. Doesn't necessarily say it's not gonna happen either so I guess what is the basis that makes you think he is gonna poof into some kind of tournament guru?

Barnes is a wonderful coach. Prior to Barnes Showing up on campus Tennessee has had 7 McDonalds All Americans sign with UT. Barnes in the time he has been here has signed 3 and it would be 3 years in a row where he has signed at least 1. Barnes is by far one of the best recruiters if not the best we have had in Men’s Basketball. Do we all want more success, sure. But just remember what UT men’s basketball was prior to Barnes showing up. Also for the ones that wanna hire an up and comer coach/hot name to replace Barnes. Just remember what happened to our Football team when we fired a proven coach for an up and comer and 20 years later we will still searching for success. Just look at Texas in Basketball and Football. Since Brown and Barnes was forced to leave they have had better success at UNC and Tennessee than Texas has had in that same time span. Barnes deserves to leave when he is ready just like Phil as a Head Coach shouldn’t have been canned when he was.

Yeah, maybe, but his track record doesn't say that this is gonna happen. Doesn't necessarily say it's not gonna happen either so I guess what is the basis that makes you think he is gonna poof into some kind of tournament guru?
Barnes is one of the best recruiters UT has ever had in men’s BB. It’s obvious fans wants Barnes to win more in the Tourney. But if we don’t make the Tourney we can’t have a chance to win. Barnes Teams are gonna make the Tourney more times than not. Would Ohio State or Notre Damn fire there head coach for making the playoffs and not ever winning a playoff game, NO!!!! When you look at Barnes body of work over his career he has proven to be an elite recruiter and a hall of fame coach. He had proven just at Tennessee he can develop 3* players that wasn’t highly recruited into NBA draft picks.

Depends on who we hire.

How did the up and comer young coach work for Texas when they sent Barnes packing? How did it work for the Football team at Texas also when they sent Brown packing? We all know how it turned out when Phil was let go for a young up and comer. I rather stick with someone like Barnes and know your gonna make the Tourney more years than not than going with the unknown and it failing miserably.

Vols have checked out.

But it is certainly not Barnes fault at all - he is coaching them up, but they aren't listening.

All on the players - am I right????

Reactions: chuckb1448

VN Store

Back