Rick Barnes Approval Rating Thread (1-10)

Still going with a 5. We're a .500 team, so he gets a 5. A lot of ups and downs, hopefully we'll figure it out next year. We have a lot of talent returning and a good recruiting class, we should be a ncaa tournament team nexto year.

Average. He's been an average coach. Probably above average on development, very average on game day and below average on recruiting trail. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
He is a 4 working his way to a 1. Poor recruiting and inability to get to the NCAA tournament. His name is not good enough to deserve much more time. The fans deserve better.

At times this year, I would've taken Barnes over any other UT coach since Mears. At other times, I would've taken Wade Houston over him.

Next year will be the year that decides the near future for Barnes and UT hoops, IMO.

Overall this year, I'd go with a 5.

I'm gonna say 5... He has a young team, we have butch a pass with a young team, and Barnes deserves the same.. BUT, his recruiting has to get better...period..

sorry bruh but all your opinions are wrong

so big deal...we all know your perfect...just by your bandwagon post...lol....but that means I'm just as qualified to post a bit@h or gripe as you'll ever be..then again I will give you that Hubbs may have not been the best play to call because of his knee...but damn bruh...call something...it just hurts...if you need to further your tirade do so...I'm bigger than that...but you know I'm right..

He is a 4 working his way to a 1. Poor recruiting and inability to get to the NCAA tournament. His name is not good enough to deserve much more time. The fans deserve better.

Have you forgotten that at this time 2 years ago Butterbean Tyndall was still ****ing **** up?

Hiring a coach another program fires just screams you're okay with mediocrity 9/10 times imo. Didn't like the hire at all. Still don't.

I give Rick an 8. He took over a garbage program and has made it respectable. Clearly the young players are solid recruits and show excellent player evaluation. Losing Fulkerson and Mostella was easily the difference in an NIT year which was the ceiling for this squad. As was true for Vol football, the rebuilding process is not always fun to watch - but Barnes is on the right track to bring the Vols back into SEC contention.

Reactions: 2 people
Hiring a coach another program fires just screams you're okay with mediocrity 9/10 times imo. Didn't like the hire at all. Still don't.

Yet many raved at Auburn hiring Pearl, and suggested we should've done the same, a coach that was fired. Same for Howland, many on this board wanted him at UT (including me), and complained when Mississippi State hired him, he was fired at UCLA.

Yet many raved at Auburn hiring Pearl, and suggested we should've done the same, a coach that was fired. Same for Howland, many on this board wanted him at UT (including me), and complained when Mississippi State hired him, he was fired at UCLA.

Howland and Pearl were not fired for losing.

That's not the same thing.

We were expected to finish with a losing record and next to last in the SEC. In spite of some injuries and losing Mostella, we obviously outperformed. We also beat Kentucky which always should count for something. For that reason I think you have to give at least a 6. My only issue is with the late game collapses and at the end of the season when other teams figured us out, we couldn't adjust. Those are on coaching. Perhaps it's constrained to some extent by personnel, but it was disappointing.

6.5 out of 10. There are areas of criticism certainly but this season could have swung very positively with a few close wins that were losses and vice versa with losing some we won. FRESHMAN DOMINATED TEAM (not pro player dominated) Barnes did an above average job IMO.

Rick Barnes is the greatest coach we've had since Ray Mears! We were picked to finish 13th in the league and we finished 9th! NINTH! What a stellar overachievement!
Coach Barnes should be commended for his effort! Besides, if he leaves, who will we get?
I salute you, Coach Barnes, on a job well done! :good!:

I'll go with a 7 because:

CRB started out with a complete dumpster fire/train wreck. He was the 3rd coach in 3 years and 4th in 6 and the three previous coaches left their programs in a mess.

Last year the regular season ended badly, but Punter had a season ending injury just before the bad finish and Baulkman was playing through his injury for most of the second half of the season. Still managed to get a couple of SECT wins.

This year was even worse for player attrition. Started out with Bone missing 9 games. Then Fulkerson only played in 10 games. Then Mostella was dismissed with half the season remaining. Then Hubbs played the last few weeks with an injured knee. Then Bowden caught pneumonia. Not only did 5 of 12 scholarship players miss a significant portion of the season, but those 5 plus Williams were the best players. The attrition also included 2 of the 3 upperclassmen.

50% of the roster are freshmen and 7 of 12 are in their first year in the program. Only 3 of the 12 were upperclassmen.

I like the roster that's been put together for 2017-18.

He's beaten Kentucky twice.

TN competed with, and could have beaten, four of the top teams in the country (Gonzaga, UNC, Wisconsin, Oregon).

I rarely find myself agreeing with you. This post and your Ronnie Van Zant avatar are the exceptions.

I give him a 3. Especially after getting to watch Drew coach up candy while we're stuck with a retread nobody wanted.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back