Rick Barnes Approval Rating Thread (1-10)

I really wish some of these dolt posters would get off of Barnes' ass. The good things that he's doing far out weigh any negatives.

Recruiting. Maybe he's not so lazy as these Nega-Vols try to portray him. He's pulling recruits in from other freaking countries for gawd sake. He's getting a lot out of NC. Even if it's sloppy seconds after UNC and Duke get their's first, it can be pretty solid recruiting ground. The Nega-Vols have latched on to one comment by an assistant and have run with it incessantly for months. They rehash it after every single poor showing by a team that's half freshmen. Just shut up already or show proof that CRB isn't managing the recruiting process.

He's old/he doesn't relate to the players: IMO he's one of the most well liked and respected (by his players) coaches that TN has had. Mears was. Devoe was more respected than liked. Houston and Buzz were liked, not necessarily respected. Pearl seemed liked, don't know how much his players truly respected him though. Many were in trouble, the nepotism with Junior, the sideline antics, the disrespect that he had in the profession among his peers. How many of his guys did not graduate? Cuonzo was well liked, but that offense of his surely resulted in lost respect. O'Neill and Green were snarky or snippy a-holes. Tyndall isn't worth using bandwidth over.

Just because Barnes doesn't call a time out when you think he should or signs a three star (that could be around for 4 years), or uses techniques to motivate his players that you don't agree with... doesn't mean that he doesn't know his **** far, far better than any coach two or three decades younger. You all hating on him are just impatient and stupid.

Broad based questions like this usually have good conversation, but since everyone's definition criteria is different getting any kind of agreement is doubtful. Got questions like this? Establish the criteria.

Barnes should be fired now. I mean, UT has such a rich basketball tradition, winning many SEC tounaments, NC's and producing first round draft pics year after year. we don't cotton to our team not winning 25 games per year....i guess we are spoiled as a fan base. wait...what??

Currently a 5. Remember he inherited a sizeable dumpster fire. He has quieted down the outside noise and the focus is back on the court (which is a welcome change vs the last half decade). Now, his recruiting has been questionable and there are no tangible results to speak of yet.

Next year we must be a solid tournament team.

7. It would have been an 8 or perhaps even a 9, but the last few weeks have been disappointing.

This was never supposed to be a tournament team. We were supposed to be the dogmeat of the SEC, with a team of underclassmen and a 5* senior who never played up to his ranking. Instead, we were in the bubble picture until the last couple of weeks when the wheels came off. These freshmen can help us win some games in the coming years, and Hubbs morphed into a serviceable (if inconsistent) leader for this team. Barnes probably saved his career. He's not an NBA prospect at this point, but I could see him succeeding in FIBA somewhere and I wouldn't have said that prior to the season.

I'd still like to see him recruit at a higher level. That said, Pons is a very good addition - an elite athlete with NBA upside. And Barnes' last recruiting class punched well above its weight in terms of recruiting ranking.

Overall, I'm content with what Barnes has done here. He still has a lot of work to do, but thus far, he's done reasonably well.

7. It would have been an 8 or perhaps even a 9, but the last few weeks have been disappointing.

This was never supposed to be a tournament team. We were supposed to be the dogmeat of the SEC, with a team of underclassmen and a 5* senior who never played up to his ranking. Instead, we were in the bubble picture until the last couple of weeks when the wheels came off. These freshmen can help us win some games in the coming years, and Hubbs morphed into a serviceable (if inconsistent) leader for this team. Barnes probably saved his career. He's not an NBA prospect at this point, but I could see him succeeding in FIBA somewhere and I wouldn't have said that prior to the season.

I'd still like to see him recruit at a higher level. That said, Pons is a very good addition - an elite athlete with NBA upside. And Barnes' last recruiting class punched well above its weight in terms of recruiting ranking.

Overall, I'm content with what Barnes has done here. He still has a lot of work to do, but thus far, he's done reasonably well.

I'm with ya. Rick has done fairly well with this young team with minimal on court leadership (sorry Robert but it's true.) Injuries and an untimely dismissal disrupted the team and it was hard to keep their momentum as the season wore on. Plus I think the pressure of being among the "last four in" at one point, according to Lunardi, was pressure they did not handle well. A year or two more experience they likely would have had a much better reaction.

I'm already enthused about next year. :good!:

After today's performance, I dropped Barnes rating down from a 6 to a 3. Very bad coaching at the end of the game.

Reactions: 3 people
Wow. A 50% drop based on one game.

Can you say "kneejerk" ???

This.

I mean if you gave him a 6 after the blown big leads and losing to a crap team like LSU, then no way should this game drop that much, if at all. At least UGA is a possible NCAAT team.

Eh fans will be fans. They freak out. A real assessment is we don't know if Barnes is the right man for the job. Our motion offense gets good looks when the players run and cut hard. Our defense is pretty good being that are best rim protector is 6'5. I see good young talent and the team is obviously not there yet. Let hope Barnes gets them there

I gave a 5, I think at first. I think I'll keep it there. Tempted to lower to 4, but not going to. Would be, well, a "kneejerk" reaction.

Eh fans will be fans. They freak out. A real assessment is we don't know if Barnes is the right man for the job. Our motion offense gets good looks when the players run and cut hard. Our defense is pretty good being that are best rim protector is 6'5. I see good young talent and the team is obviously not there yet. Let hope Barnes gets them there

They may get there but barnes will not be the reason...he will watch every time...give him a 6 for 90% of the games and a 2 for the last 2 minutes...but BRUH it just an opinion...:lol:

Last edited:
Would give a 6, Tennessee is pretty much exactly where I expected them to be at the end of year 2 when Barnes was hired.

I'll stick with my original 7.

TN could have had a couple of more wins... maybe even an NCAAT invite had CRB kept Mostella on the team. It hurt this year, but could be the best move for the program in the long run. I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnson brings.

I'll stick with my original 7.

TN could have had a couple of more wins... maybe even an NCAAT invite had CRB kept Mostella on the team. It hurt this year, but could be the best move for the program in the long run. I'm looking forward to seeing what Johnson brings.
of course you're looking forward to seeing "Johnson" :)

Reactions: 1 person
After today's performance, I dropped Barnes rating down from a 6 to a 3. Very bad coaching at the end of the game.

The fact is, teams figured out how to defend Tennessee. Deny Williams the ball and make the guards beat you. That played out perfectly on the final possession. With 22 seconds, Tennessee didn't even get the ball inside the 3 point line.

This team is very limited offensively with Hubbs on the bench. I'd have liked to see a TO called with about 12 seconds remaining to get Hubbs in and try and run a set play to get him a look in the paint.

In any case, this team wilted over the last month. Part coaching, part personnel limitations, and part other teams scheming ways to stop us. Dropping Barnes from a 6 to a 3 is reactionary.

4 if we miss the NIT. 5 if we make the NIT. 7 if we beat both UGA and UK in the SECT. 7.5 if we reach the SECT final. 9.5 if we win the SECT.

So, yeah, I'm down to a 4 right now, because we are a .500 team in Year 2 and seem to be getting out-recruited by the vast majority of the league. I'll quickly change my tune if the team makes some history next week.

So, 4.

We can debate the reasons and how much blame can fairly be put on the HC, but while there were some nice moments, this was a bad basketball season, overall. We're below .500 and will miss even the NIT, unless our RPI is still good enough to sneak in and if they don't DQ teams for being under .500.

Having expectations for the program doesn't, by itself, make someone a negaVol. Hopefully, in 12 months, we'll be discussing what a great step forward we took and what seed we can expect. I'm just not going to give extra credit for exceeding historically low preseason predictions by a few games.

I think that Barnes had planned on 2016-17 to be a stepping stone season. He certainly didn't want it to go off the rails with single digit wins which would have crushed the confidence of the players he's developing. But I don't think he was expecting anything more than this 16-16 after losing Bone/Fulkerson/Mostella and having Hubbs and Bowden playing through health issues down the stretch. Considering how many games were missed by those 5 important contributors, it's kind of amazing that 16-16 was achieved and there was talk of making it into the NCAAT for a month or so.

The attrition on the basketball roster pretty much mirrored what happened to the football team. It's been devastating in both sports... hopefully nothing like this academic year ever comes close to happening again.

I think that Barnes had planned on 2016-17 to be a stepping stone season. He certainly didn't want it to go off the rails with single digit wins which would have crushed the confidence of the players he's developing. But I don't think he was expecting anything more than this 16-16 after losing Bone/Fulkerson/Mostella and having Hubbs and Bowden playing through health issues down the stretch. Considering how many games were missed by those 5 important contributors, it's kind of amazing that 16-16 was achieved and there was talk of making it into the NCAAT for a month or so.

The attrition on the basketball roster pretty much mirrored what happened to the football team. It's been devastating in both sports... hopefully nothing like this academic year ever comes close to happening again.

So, Barnes was counting on this year sucking?

VN Store

Back