Regression in 2022

Not to be argumentative, but we just scored more points in a season than we’ve ever scored in the history of our program.
In year 1 of a coach who has only 4 years experience as a head coach. Think about that.
Even with 2 starting RB’s transferring out.
Even with QB battle not settled until, what the third game of the year.
Even with unproven players, thanks to the mismanagement of the previous staff.
Honestly, before the season even started, heck most in here had Bailey starting after spring ball.
How many thought this team would score the most points in program history?
This speaks volumes of this staff, culture, philosophy to win, and direction the program is going.
I don’t see a regression at all.
9 wins or more.
Patience is a must and mistakes do happen, but all signs point up, no matter what color glasses we are wearing or flavor of Kool-aid we are drinking.
Next step is learning to put a team away and knock them out, and keep momentum going.
Also noticed no significant injuries as well. Some nicks and bruises that come with football, sure but not much else.
Also first year with new S&C coach!
Rambled enough!
GO
BIG
ORANGE!!

And there it is. Irrationality rearing it’s head.
😂 I rarely put high expectations on a team anymore. They won 7 games this year and you can argue refs screwed them out of a chance to win 3 more. You expect a little improvement to year 2. Go look at the schedule. Cupcakes OOC. LSU is the West opponent. Florida just exploded and fired their coach too. The only opponents better are Georgia and Bama and Kentucky you might could argue but we always have their number.
But excuse me for being "irrational" LOL

Reactions: VFLz15
I can't buy that. When you look at the amount of improvement our team had just in one offseason under the new coach, and you see his ability to improve the team with transfer portal kids, I can't help but think that our defense is going to take a significant step forward next year. We're not going to be World beaters, but I think we very easily could improve to the point we're only Georgia and Alabama can beat us. LSU is not going to be able to beat us. We beat FL next year. We beat Kentucky next year. We beat Pitt next year. That makes us a two-loss team.
The way I see it, our offense is actually going to improve next year which is hard to believe. And our defense will improve. We have something in our program going into 2022 that we've not had in a very long time, stability and belief. These kids are 100% bought into the system. They have a coaching staff that did not have any turn over. And when their coach potentially had an opportunity to leave and go to his alma mater, whether that was real or imagine, he chose to stay here. That speaks volumes about his dedication to building this program.

Last edited:
Based on what I saw in the bowl game, I think we see our wins hold at 7 or regress to 6. In not seeing much at the moment showing the team will take a step forward. Our D will almost certainly be worse and our o-line likely won’t be much better.

I think year 3 is when we see CJH take us up a rung on the latter.

Thoughts?
I want 1 more win each season at a minimum!
8-4
9-3
10-2
11-1
12-0

Reactions: Alto1 and tnutater
There is a good chance that we regress in 2022. It is just going take time develop a team that competes. Despite the fact that we beat Scar and Ky, they may be in a better place than we will next year. Our defense looked atrocious and I am not hopeful that it will be any better next year. That said, we have no choice but to be patient and hope Huepel can eventually get it done. He has some growing to do, and the staff needs an upgrade at the defensive backfield. His UCF teams had classes ranked much lower and were competitive. Hopefully, he can do more with more.
I don’t like the trajectory of that South Carolina program. I think Beamer is going to do a solid job there. Stoops has Kentucky at their most stable point, probably in the history of their program. That’s 2 schools that you never really had to consider an obstacle in a rebuild, so it’s gonna be more difficult and will take some time imo.
GBO!!

Simple answer is "yes." Not enough talent and SEC DC's will figure out a way to stop CJH's gimick offense. Our defense will probably be worse as well. Any talent upgrades will more than likely be Frosh.
Then those DC’s better figure out a way to play fast or keep flopping, because there is no gimmick, just a pace that defenses can’t keep up with.
GBO!!

The offense returns almost totally intact so that should mean another 40 points per game average. Next season just like the last one comes down to where we are on defense. Were going to put up points in most of the games can we hold the other team to what we put up?

I do not agree. I believe the way we lost will stick in the coaching staff's minds all off season. I believe they are good enough at what they do that they will figure out a way to fix what went wrong during the bowl game. I believe the clock management issues will be addressed and the extreme risk taker mentality reigned in a bit.

Nah. Heupel will go all in on defense in the portal. That was really the missing key this year.
I think if they make flopping not illegal. We should do it to every offense bc it gives us more timeouts, let’s the defense rest that they are not getting from the offense, disrupts their offense too. We make them have to sit and wait to play. I think we should go down every 3 plays after the first quarter.

Based on what I saw in the bowl game, I think we see our wins hold at 7 or regress to 6. In not seeing much at the moment showing the team will take a step forward. Our D will almost certainly be worse and our o-line likely won’t be much better.

I think year 3 is when we see CJH take us up a rung on the latter.

Thoughts?
This recruiting class got a HUGE bump alone by ( 2 ) 5* players returning in my opinion !! H.Hooker and C.Tillman...not to mention (LG.) J. Carvin + (LT.) D. Wright staying for there senior years.... The offensive line...This will be the most quality of starters (4) with depth with players going into the second year of this offense. (👍) (2) Senior TE’s also return with young quality depth. This is the most up swing of quality players on offense...Then I can remember across the board in a very long time.! My ONLY concern is backup at QB. Just like when Dobbs was a senior...They can’t afford for him to get hurt. They have NO PROVEN QB.!....Okay the Defense....First understand they lost a huge amount of lineman to transfers and etc...Same at LB. That being said ONLY losing Butler / Blakely Trembley in the front (7) ! IS A WHOLE LOT better than the questions coming in this last year. With ALL that left and new coaches, plus complete new schemes ! Losing Taylor And TheO is big...So hopefully Flowers stays 🤞🏻Short on depth ! But as stated before they know where there at and know the players. THATS A PLUS going into the second year. It’s gonna be huge for the off season workouts and spring !!! The PORTAL will need to be address like the last one ! 🤞🏻

At this point I'm not sold at all on this offense or Josh's inability to adapt

Next year will depend alot on how we do in the portal, incoming freshman, and off-season. development. The way it stands right now, we are going to not be improved much if any in the lines. And with the restrictions on the players you can bring in and sign, depth is going to take a while to build. And quality depth may be the most important thing with how our offense plays, that and the ability to consistently pressure a QB without blitzing

Simple answer is "yes." Not enough talent and SEC DC's will figure out a way to stop CJH's gimick offense. Our defense will probably be worse as well. Any talent upgrades will more than likely be Frosh.
Not really a gimmick offense

At this point I'm not sold at all on this offense or Josh's inability to adapt
Seriously? We just set records this year on offense but if you're not sold on it that's entirely your prerogative. This team got better as the season went on, the bowl game i kind of felt something was a little off but I still think we win the game if not for that idiotic call by the zebras

I believe some truly don't understand just how bad the Roster and culture of this football team was just a year ago. After Spring in which the Roster looked worse your QB situation wasn't good even Hooker Spring performance and we just had our best offensive season ever. 2nd year in a program huge strides are made in overall depth of Team. Yes Defense must improve alot but I truly expect us to be in every game we play. Wins we will see. In CHRIST Alone

I could see the record staying about the same as this year. The Missouri, SC games will be tougher next year.

Seriously? We just set records this year on offense but if you're not sold on it that's entirely your prerogative. This team got better as the season went on, the bowl game i kind of felt something was a little off but I still think we win the game if not for that idiotic call by the zebras
We had an elite offense with Bray and Cheney as well and it did nothing for the overall standing of the program. This offense is too fast at times and too homerun heavy and does not help the defense. I do not have a good feeling about this staff in the next few years.

How so? I can think of multiple teams that run the same style offense as we do, don't think it counts as a gimmick offense if its ran by multiple teams. Of course just my opinion
the whole idea is to go super fast before the defense can get lined up.

VN Store

Back