Regional Hosting Sites, NCAA Selection Thoughts and Projections

TheMookieMonster

So, I have already started to see early projections of the field coming out this week. I figured it might be nice to have a place to centralize this in a thread, and to keep it updated with latest projections.

I'll keep it as up to date as I can.

Without further ado, here we go:

UPDATE #2: Pre SEC-Tournament

WEEK OF MAY 23RD, 2022

D1 Baseball

The Knoxville Regional (#1 Overall Seed)

1. Tennessee
2. Wake Forest
3. Wofford
4. Coppin State

The Statesboro Regional (#16 Overall Seed)

1. Georgia Southern
2. Georgia
3. Georgia Tech
4. Campbell

UPDATE: I'm going to put the most recent projections up top now that we are approaching Selection Sunday. So, here we go:

WEEK OF MAY 16TH, 2022

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. Georgia Southern
3. Clemson
4. Alabama State

The Hattiesburg Regional (#16 Overall Seed)

1. Southern Miss
2. Georgia
3. Coastal Carolina
4. College of Charleston

D1 Baseball

1. Tennessee
2. Connecticut
3. Clemson
4. Delaware State

The Spokane Regional (#16 Overall Seed)

1. Gonzaga
2. Oregon
3. NC State
4. Pennsylvania

WEEK OF MARCH 28TH, 2022

Baseball America

The Knoxville Regional (Tennessee Volunteers #1 OVERALL Seed)

1. Tennessee
2. East Carolina
3. Indiana State
4. Central Michigan

WEEK OF APRIL 4TH, 2022

D1 Baseball

The Knoxville Regional (#1 OVERALL Seed)

1. Tennessee
2. North Carolina
3. Wofford
4. Coppin State

Baseball America

The Knoxville Regional

1. Tennessee
2. Kennesaw State
3. Indiana State
4. South-Carolina Upstate

WEEK OF APRIL 18TH, 2022

D1 Baseball

1. Tennessee
2. Mercer
3. East Carolina
4. Coppin State

The Statesboro Regional (#16 Overall Seed)

1. Georgia Southern
2. Auburn
3. Wofford
4. Campbell

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. Wofford
3. Georgia State
4. Alabama State

The Tallahassee Regional (The #16 Overall Seed)

1. Florida State
2. Florida
3. Mercer
4. Belmont

WEEK OF MAY 2ND, 2022

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. Mercer
3. Wake Forest
4. Alabama State

1. Gonzaga
2. Oregon
3. Texas Tech
4. Pennsylvania

D1 Baseball

1. Tennessee
2. Georgia Tech
3. Connecticut
4. Coppin State

1. Gonzaga
2. UCLA
3. Pennsylvania
4. North Dakota State

Last edited:
So, I have already started to see early projections of the field coming out this week. I figured it might be nice to have a place to centralize this in a thread, and to keep it updated with latest projections.

WEEK OF MARCH 28TH, 2022

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. East Carolina
3. Indiana State
4. Central Michigan
I’ll happily take ECU. They don’t hit for power, don’t hit for average, and aren’t a dominant pitching team. Would not want to play Liberty again. Facing UCLA or Georgia as a 2 seed would be brutal.

WEEK OF MARCH 28TH, 2022

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. East Carolina
3. Indiana State
4. Central Michigan

Thanks Mookie!

WEEK OF MARCH 28TH, 2022

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. East Carolina
3. Indiana State
4. Central Michigan
WGWTFA!!!

Reactions: HeadVol77

WEEK OF MARCH 28TH, 2022

Baseball America

1. Tennessee
2. East Carolina
3. Indiana State
4. Central Michigan

WEEK OF APRIL 4TH, 2022

D1 Baseball

The Knoxville Regional (#1 OVERALL Seed)

1. Tennessee
2. North Carolina
3. Wofford
4. Coppin State

Baseball America

The Knoxville Regional

1. Tennessee
2. Kennesaw State
3. Indiana State
4. South-Carolina Upstate
Who are you seeing as some of the other national seeds?
GBO!!

Here's D1 Baseball's midseason Nerdcast podcast discussing their projected midseason Field of 64:

Midseason Nerdcast

The podcast is also available in all D1 Baseball podcast feeds.

I laughed at Kendall Rogers' quip near the beginning, "Tennessee #1, Tennessee's backups #2" 😂

Last edited:
Someone remind me of how Super Regional sites usually work? Looking way ahead, I'll be in Knoxville the weekend of SRs--would be great if that was a site (and UT was in it lol).

Reactions: BigDave
Someone remind me of how Super Regional sites usually work? Looking way ahead, I'll be in Knoxville the weekend of SRs--would be great if that was a site (and UT was in it lol).

The Top 16 Seeds host an NCAA Regional at their home ballpark. The Top 8 seeds host a Super Regional if they win and advance.

So, right now, Tennessee is comfortably in the Super Regional hosting category. This is referred to as being a National Seed.

Updated with new D1 Baseball and Baseball America projections. It is VERY interesting how starkly different these two projections are for us. I've also started to include the #16 Overall Seed in the updates as seeing who a potential Super Regional Opponent might be is important.

D1 I feel like definitely has the more favorable, easier path. Rematch with Georgia Southern in the Supers. Also, very interesting to see that Mercer is on our region according to D1, but is in the #16 overall region in BA. Weird how stark the difference in opinion is on that team.

I want no part of FSU or Florida in the Supers honestly. Too much talent on both of those teams. I think one of the more interesting non-Tennessee projections is that D1 has a potential Arkansas/Vandy Super Regional on the horizon....

In terms of Top 16 host changes, Auburn replaced Georgia Tech, Virginia replaced Dallas Baptist, which dropped to second place in the Missouri Valley and Texas replaced Oregon, which dropped an ugly series to Washington State over the weekend. The next two hosts in our board were Texas A&M and Vanderbilt in that order. Ironically enough, the two teams play this weekend in Nashville in a series that could have big ramifications on the hosting picture moving forward.

The Barn hosting? No so fast my friend, this weekend the Vols, next weekend Arkansas. If TAMU wins this weekend they will probably host.

I thought the same. Also, I'm not sure how I would feel about a potential rematch with LSU.

I would be stoked with that Coral Gables projection.

Oregon State has a far easier Regional as the 2-seed. I know they try and keep teams close to home and in their geographic “region”, but it seems completely ridiculous to pair us with NC State.

Seeing that this does not match the D1 rankings with any accuracy I would expect this to change 20 times before the season ends.
What's more, plenty of BB games remaining. IOW to early......
Yeah, the regional predictions don't make much sense. UCONN is ranked #15, but they're a 3 seed in our region? Texas Tech is #9 but they're not hosting? I realize the regionals won't perfectly align with rankings, but this is D1 projecting the field. You'd think D1's projections would align with D1's own rankings.

It would be nice to not be placed in the group of death this year. Let someone else host a regional with essentially 3 2-seeds.

When you listen to their podcast, it makes even less sense. But they clarify over and over it is where they think teams will be in the long run not where they are now. They did admit that Tennessee being so good makes the rest of the SEC and NCAA baseball look bad. At one point they messed up and said Arkansas was number one and then someone clarified, not counting Tennessee and they laughed.

When you listen to their podcast, it makes even less sense. But they clarify over and over it is where they think teams will be in the long run not where they are now. They did admit that Tennessee being so good makes the rest of the SEC and NCAA baseball look bad. At one point they messed up and said Arkansas was number one and then someone clarified, not counting Tennessee and they laughed.

Yeah, it's just a projection, and as they admitted it is a projection of the season's end not of April 27th (when it was posted). But, regardless of the date, NC State is an exceptional team and Connecticut is currently #15 so it feels like an absolutely massive middle-finger to the Vols to put the #1 team in the land in a regional with those two. It makes no sense to me. Good thing it is just a projection.

Yeah, it's just a projection, and as they admitted it is a projection of the season's end not of April 27th (when it was posted). But, regardless of the date, NC State is an exceptional team and Connecticut is currently #15 so it feels like an absolutely massive middle-finger to the Vols to put the #1 team in the land in a regional with those two. It makes no sense to me. Good thing it is just a projection.

D1 has to do what they have to do and we gotta do what we have to do. We know what their goal is, and we know ours too. To that I say…

Legoooooooooooooo!!!

VN Store

Back