Refrigerators

We actually really liked the LG we looked at, but are concerned as it seems there are compressor issues for a lot of people within 1-3 years. I noticed there are a couple open class action lawsuits as of last year. LG's response was to make parts and labor extended to five years.
the house I rented at my last duty station had an LG. When it went down it took forever for my landlord to get a repairman. The repairman says LG had really weird standards to be LG certified and most people don't bother with them. His recommendation (4 years ago now) was a Whirlpool.

Reactions: volwindy
We actually really liked the LG we looked at, but are concerned as it seems there are compressor issues for a lot of people within 1-3 years. I noticed there are a couple open class action lawsuits as of last year. LG's response was to make parts and labor extended to five years.
We haven't had any issues with ours as far as that goes.

Right at 6 years now and the only issue has been a small leak in one of the door water dispenser hoses. It was easy to fix on my own.

We remodeled the kitchen 2 years ago and furnished it with all LG appliances so i hope we don't regret it. Anyway, it has freezer on bottom, deli type tray above thr freezer and French doors above that opening to the refrigerator. It is counter top depth which we really like and recommend a lot. No complaints so far but they are only 2 years old.

I have a whirlpool side by side 8 years. I just replaced the thermostat last week and cleaned the coils. I never imagined they would be so nasty.

I have a whirlpool side by side 8 years. I just replaced the thermostat last week and cleaned the coils. I never imagined they would be so nasty.
Same cleaning principles apply for those that have a free standing outside air conditioning condensing unit. Here’s a good how to video on how to clean it. Do this twice a year, right before starting to run the ac & the half way point of the running season. You’ll save yourself a lot of money on energy bills allowing the unit to run more efficiently & the unit will last longer.

Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, Roper, Kitchenaid & Jenn-air are all the same company now. All are a good choice. I would also choose GE over LG or Samsung. I worked in the appliance mfg industry for over 15 years. There is little difference in Whirlpool, Maytag & GE. They use a lot of the same component suppliers. 85-90% of the models from these are still made in the US. GE appliances is now Chinese owned but has managed so far to maintain being made and designed in the US.

Reactions: volwindy
Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, Roper, Kitchenaid & Jenn-air are all the same company now. All are a good choice. I would also choose GE over LG or Samsung. I worked in the appliance mfg industry for over 15 years. There is little difference in Whirlpool, Maytag & GE. They use a lot of the same component suppliers. 85-90% of the models from these are still made in the US. GE appliances is now Chinese owned but has managed so far to maintain being made and designed in the US.
What about Bosch?

Local shop with a good reputation recommended Fridigdaire or Maytag (for standard priced stuff). Steered away from Samsung.

It's the type of appliance that a warranty might be worth getting - a lot that can go wrong.

We have a Samsung convection oven, convection microwave and fridge. I won’t buy their appliances again. Weak seals and discoloration in the ice on the fridge, bad temps (set as opposed to actual), a bunch of little stuff.

We just replaced our dishwasher with a Bosch and are very happy. So quiet and dishes come out clean and dry.

We are starting to research and look into a new fridge as we think ours is on its way out.

What do you have? Do you like it or hate it?
Good brands/ones to avoid?
If you're in TN any of the TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology) welcome you to bring in your refrigerator, mini fridge, window air conditioner etc. if you need it worked on. I think you pay $5 plus pay for parts.

This can save a ton of money or have the old one fixed to put in the garage.

If you're in TN any of the TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology) welcome you to bring in your refrigerator, mini fridge, window air conditioner etc. if you need it worked on. I think you pay $5 plus pay for parts.

This can save a ton of money or have the old one fixed to put in the garage.
Hey windy, snap us a few pics of the fridge strapped to top of your car as you, kev & rock come rollin outta the Carolina’s headed to Tennessee lookin like the Beverly HillBillys. Thanks

Knock wood... Our Whirlpool side-by-side has worked well so far (4 years). Finger print resistant stainless steel is a GOOD thang.
All my appliances are whirlpool. No problems. Even have a 15 year old fridge and 11 year old water heater that have been maintenance free.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Ours is leaking water into the fridge from the overhead freezer. Did dome googling and found the issue. Had to take the linings out of the freezer and melt out the ice where the drain tube had frozen up. Worked fine but frose right back up in a few weeks. Checked the level and everything seems to be right. May try the fix one more time and set the lever with the linings out to see if can get more direct flow to drain. Otherwise will be looking too.

Good side is there is an appliance repair and sales place down the road from work. Got us and mom a refurbished dryer from him for $130 each. Runs great, no issues. Very clean. He also does fridges. May go see what he has.

I will soon be in the market for a refrigerator. We recently bought a GE microwave. The GE Microwave division used to be the pride of the company, until they sold out to Shienhardt Wig Company.

b2b-content-marketing-alec-baldwin-ge-30-rock.jpg

I had to check. Our stove and microwave are Whirlpool; Dishwasher is Kitchenaid which was purchased a couple years ago; and soon to be Bosch fridge instead of GE.

I'm sure our washer/dryer will have to be replaced next. 16 years old and still going. They are Kenmore.

I had to check. Our stove and microwave are Whirlpool; Dishwasher is Kitchenaid which was purchased a couple years ago; and soon to be Bosch fridge instead of GE.

I'm sure our washer/dryer will have to be replaced next. 16 years old and still going. They are Kenmore.
Kenmore used to be the Bee's Knees.

Reactions: volwindy and Guest
Kenmore used to be the Bee's Knees.
Still running a 20 year old Kenmore HE3 frontload washer & dryer made by Whirlpool. Aluminum spider arm for drum corroded on washer & broke. Whirlpool send me a new arm & drum @ no charge. Painted the arm with polyurethane paint & rebuilt the washer. Only other cost for washer - $40 for a drain pump. Never had an issue with dryer. I wanna be buried in that washer

Still running a 20 year old Kenmore HE3 frontload washer & dryer made by Whirlpool. Aluminum spider arm for drum corroded on washer & broke. Whirlpool send me a new arm & drum @ no charge. Painted the arm with polyurethane paint & rebuilt the washer. Only other cost for washer - $40 for a drain pump. Never had an issue with dryer. I wanna be buried in that washer
It better be a tall washer.

Reactions: volwindy and Guest

VN Store

Back