Red flags

Just more BS blather from our semi-literate HC. If anything is a red flag this is it.

“I feel like the guys have really kind of bought in trying to execute at a higher level,” said Pruitt (who was talking about the defense).

Its not the buy in thats concerning, its the fact that our coach thinks the defense has "sort of bought in." That doesn't sound like a commitment to me, or any confidence by our HC.

Volforlife83,If coaching turnover is a red flag,then Sabin is the world's worst coach!
It's Saban and his coaches are being hired away, ours are being fired.

It's year 3 and this defensive guru still can't stop a slant. Player development is lacking, halftime adjustments are lacking, play calling on both sides are questionable, still no qb change. He'll keep JG saying he gives us best chance to win, but hands the ball off 50 times. Fires DL coach last week, when offense is main problem. We're getting blown out by our rivals. Recruiting is still suspect. Lost to GAST, BYU AND KY; Blame JG, but defense was just as bad and Pruitt shoulders that responsibility both ways. He is beyond stubborn. He's wanting to run outdated scheme in a time of change. I could go on.

Look, I wanted Pruitt to finally be that guy too, but VN is running out of excuses to protect bad hires. We're moving backwards. ARKANSAS is getting more with a first year staff and less talent. Pruitt is nothing but red flags, but let's wait another 3-4 years just to convince you folks a little more.

Last edited:
Pruitt isn’t the guy. His speaking style isn’t just good ole boy. There are brilliant good ole boys who can put together a sentence without 4 seconds of “uhhhhh” sprinkled throughout.

Pruitt just isn’t quick enough or bright enough to manage a program or to marshall his coaching and player talent during a game.

Add to that an arrogance and stubbornness he hasn’t earned the right to display, and he is simply in over his head.

That said, he won’t be fired this season or next. If history holds, we will keep him 3 more years, with a 3 year extension after next season. Once he has fully tanked the program, he will be fired with a monstrous buyout.

He and Fulmer will depart, some $30-35 million richer between them, and laugh all the way to the bank. It’s the Tennessee Way.

One BIG difference here between Butch and Jeremy, Butch had HC experience and was still an idiot. This is Jeremy's first HC gig, and it is showing up. I would say I am a bit surprised at how the Defense is performing, I am attributing it to the young backfield. The offense, SHOCKED at the OL's performance, after this many games, the chemistry on the OL must be at an all-time low for having that kind of talent, too many egos.

CJP is finding out that being an HC in the SEC is one of the toughest jobs in football. Welcome to the Big Boy Sports Coach.

I think I’m with Raebo on this one. Vol Nation can make this “topic” much more interesting than the article. So here’s my red flags.

1A) 2017- “My assistant coaches will not speak to the media. You’ll talk to ME”.

1B) fall 2018- Pruitt takes the play sheet from Helton as if he could do better. Shows possibly an unhealthy control issue and hostile environment

2) 2018- Pruitt promises an opportunity to compete to the lone 2019 qb. I can only imagine he’s promised the same to all of them. 😕

3) spring 2019- after attending practices myself I read the practice reports from those days. When it came to the qbs, the reports were a balance between “slanted truth” and bold faced lies. Controlled narrative? Kind of related to to red flag #1.

4) Spring game 2019- Cheney walking to the locker room at halftime and a reporter attempted to get a comment. Cheney’s reply was “I’m not saying anything without the permission of my boss”. After the 3rd red flag related to “control” I’m thinking “this is a dictatorship”

5) Also spring game 2019- after halftime Cheney looks and walks like a man extremely pissed off coming out of the locker room. Maybe he voiced his opinions on the qbs and it didn’t go so well?

6) fall 2019- With a year of tape and experience w/ JG under his belt, a loss to GAST and BYU was not enough to make a change. He waited until the gauntlet of our schedule to insert a true freshman qb that they’d invested NO time in after convincing the fans JG was the best option.

7) Fall 2019- After such a terrible start to the 2019 season and a change was made Pruitt INSISTED that JG WILL still play. The only problem with that statement is he never guaranteed that the younger guys would EVER play prior to JGs benching. Where’s the equal opportunity?

8) Alabama 2019- in a close game the freshman started and sparked hope in the team JG goes rouge. That’s not just a serious offense but one that is possibly CAREER ending for even the best of qbs. It showed the confidence that JG has that Pruitt wouldn’t hold him accountable. Why?

9) 2017 tape, 2018 experience, a loss to GAST, BYU, a blowout to UF, going rouge in Alabama in 2019 wasn’t enough to never look back. But in 2019 a rusty Maurer after injury vs UK was enough to never look back to him? Again, where’s the equal opportunity?

10) After everything above, in 2020 here we sit. Being told the same things that have already shown to be lies.

At this point I think it’s safe to say that Pruitt isn’t good for qbs. There is more that I can write but this post is long enough to get the picture.

More I see and read, the more I believe Pruitt has a control / micromanaging problem that will be his undoing.

You don't see the CEO out telling the supervisor how to keep the production line running and that sounds a lot like what's going on here...good coordinators don't want to coach in that environment very long.

More I see and read, the more I believe Pruitt has a control / micromanaging problem that will be his undoing.

You don't see the CEO out telling the supervisor how to keep the production line running and that sounds a lot like what's going on here...good coordinators don't want to coach in that environment very long.

I think that is dead on, married up with a level of complex thinking and competence that is greatly overestimated in his own mind.

Arrogance and incompetence often leads to destructive micromanagement - the person lacks the capacity to really grasp the situation, doesn't understand the actions of others, and is CONVINCED they are always right.

That strikes me as what we have in JP. I hope (HUGELY) that he proves me wrong, because we are stuck with him for at least 3 more years, knowing our history.

Volforlife83,If coaching turnover is a red flag,then Sabin is the world's worst coach!

Consider the reasons for the turnover. Saban’s guys are mostly successful at Bama and get offers from other schools to potentially move up the coaching ranks. Pruitt’s guys get shown to door for not doing the job to an acceptable level.

Reactions: VolForLife83
If Pruitt can't see that he needs a better QB coach, he has failed. That being said, it is a daunting task to change a culture that became accustomed to mediocrity. Yeah Butch had some good seasons, but the overall culture of the program was not one of success after Fulmer's glory years. Kiffen brought a huge splash of enthusiasm, but we all know how long that lasted. I think we can blame the Dooley era for much of the malaise. Butch did not do anything to change it and Pruitt is struggling to. I do see less of the heads down on the sidelines when something goes awry, so change is happening. But it seems way WAY too slow. This team needs heart. It needs energy. And if it doesn't come from the top, it won't ever make it to the field on Saturdays.

Bobby Bowden hired his assistants and then let them do their job. Saban does the same thing until they start screwing it up. Great coaches know how to do this.

I agree that there are quite a few red flags. I'm concerned. At this point, I believe we still have a good recruiter and game-time coach. His inexperience though is showing. I need to see real progress and growth.

If aso, he learned it from three pretty good head coaches as their DC.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Not sure what else Pruitt is supposed to say. Obviously, the defensive coaching/personnel are awful and must perform better. Players need to “buy in” but the talent on the defensive side of the ball is marginal at best. How many players eligible for the NFL draft will get picked? The talent of our upperclassmen is really bad.

Reactions: IndianaVol
If aso, he learned it from three pretty good head coaches as their DC.
I get that, I just wish and hope that he isn't so arrogant or so full of pride that if he really is pushing the micromanagement too far he sees it and corrects it in time.

Best boss I ever had I thought was a supreme micromanager in the beginning, but after he got comfortable with me, and I with him, and we understood the expectation of the work output, and he saw that I competently hold myself to that expectation, he became the best ever and a really good friend.

Not sure what else Pruitt is supposed to say. Obviously, the defensive coaching/personnel are awful and must perform better. Players need to “buy in” but the talent on the defensive side of the ball is marginal at best. How many players eligible for the NFL draft will get picked? The talent of our upperclassmen is really bad.

YES, we are still lacking playmakers at many, many positions.
Most folks on here bash him, but Pruitt's first two years have really been a testament to Butch's recruiting - both good and bad.

VN Store

Back