Recruiting Ponderance

The positions at which we need the most help is Linebacker and Safety. Most of the yards we give up are in the middle of the field. We still do not play the slants and hook patterns very well and we have not stopped the QB keeper/draw well. That is where we are giving up all those 3rd and 4th down plays which keeps our defense on the field forever as well as restricts the number of possessions our offense gets. No wonder the defense is gassed in the 4th quarter. Don't get me wrong, the players are giving as much as they have and are compiling some very good stats, but coaches will concentrate on getting the ball to the middle of the field, especially when they have QBs who can run the football. Experienced depth is a problem at most positions, but it will get better with the Freshmen getting to play more. I hope a lot of our recruiting class cam be EEs. Getting to participate in Spring practices will be key in the development of the team for next year.

I'm interested to see if Mitchell can give us a boost at LB and how a full off-season & pre-season helps B. Young, although he's not a full-time LB. I see very little hope for improvement in our secondary, especially if Alontae Taylor passes on the covid option and heads off to the NFL. We already have to replace Theo... replacing both could be a problem.

With a ridiculous lack of depth and the need to win quickly, is it better for us to go JuCo/transfer heavy for a couple of seasons? Most freshmen aren't ready to play immediately, and throwing them in there too early is a recipe for injury, attrition, and dejection from both the players and the fan base.
Obviously recruiting older players cannot be the long term plan. Thoughts?
Some of the guys not ready this year will be ready next year. They're getting scout squad experience now plus S&C.

But yes. Heupel needs to master the portal and hit some high level JUCO's... but be VERY selective with JUCO's. They carry a lot of risk.

I suspect that UT will have 4 or 5 outbound in the portal. If I were in Heupel's shoes, I would only take HS or JUCO signees if they're extremely high level guys. He's got a bunch of developmental guys committed. In all honesty, I think I would have to drop someone to add Nolan. I think Nolan will need a year or two of development before he's ready.

The portal is really where he has to make his living. He'll probably have around 5 spots to fill out of the portal plus those who leave- 9 or 10. He could need a QB if Milton and Bailey both leave. He could use a playmaker at WR. They're going to need help in the secondary and really across the D.

Another key we haven't discussed is how many guys return of those who can. Another thread suggested that could be as few as 6 or 8 guys. If a lot of guys come back for their Covid plus year... then that buys the Vols and Heupel time. The urgency for building the roster can be spread over two classes instead of just one.

Reactions: nomads-11
The Vols followed the previous year of a top 5 class, with an effort that found the team ranked outside of the top 25 by both major recruiting websites, Rivals.com and Scout.com.[2][3] The top players of the class were considered to be tight end Aaron Douglas out of Maryville, Tennessee and wide receiver/linebacker E.J. Abrams-Ward out of Thomasville, North Carolina. Probably Fulmers undoing.

Right now, I'm not saying to live exclusively by the Portal, but you have to take advantage of it, given the current depth. We lost some good players to the Portal that are starting in the SEC and elsewhere. Doesn't mean we can then benefit in the same way. I'd be looking hard at anything in the OL (priority #1) and DL category...and throw in LB, for starters. Hard to get game ready freshmen at the OL and DL positions....they are far and few between. So yeah, I'd be watching and the shopping in the Portal for a couple of years, until the rest of the recruits catch up and catch on.

...is it better for us to go JuCo/transfer heavy for a couple of seasons?

Heck, we will take all the 5th and 6th year Seniors we can grab at if they're worth a darn. We need a good mix of all playing abilities and experience.

With a ridiculous lack of depth and the need to win quickly, is it better for us to go JuCo/transfer heavy for a couple of seasons? Most freshmen aren't ready to play immediately, and throwing them in there too early is a recipe for injury, attrition, and dejection from both the players and the fan base.
Obviously recruiting older players cannot be the long term plan. Thoughts?

Absolutely!

I’ve been preaching this since it was obvious the impact transfers were having across the country this first weekend of the season.

IMO, how Heupel balances transfers vs freshmen signees will determine his fate here and how quickly TN can become relevant again.

Probably a good balance of both, or even a little more of the freshmen, to achieve long term success.

Don't forget option C. Walk ons. They need someone scouting for them . Some that prove they are worth a scholarship in six to nine months.

This class will be Portal and JUCO fills. The staff is playing the long game by getting in early on '23 and '24 recruits.

VN Store

Back