Recruiting Ponderance

loosecannon

With a ridiculous lack of depth and the need to win quickly, is it better for us to go JuCo/transfer heavy for a couple of seasons? Most freshmen aren't ready to play immediately, and throwing them in there too early is a recipe for injury, attrition, and dejection from both the players and the fan base.
Obviously recruiting older players cannot be the long term plan. Thoughts?

Reactions: MikeTheVol
The portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

Still a lot of unknowns with how this whole open season for transfers will work. Future depth charts and playing time just becomes harder to project. Hats off to underclassmen who are still willing to put in the work and wait for their chance.

We may see guys like Bailey and Beckwith head for the door as well.

If I understand correctly, UT gets to add 32 this year. 25, which the the usual maximum number yearly, plus up to 7 to replace transfers. Since we are already down 15 scholarship players, it is going to be a couple of years I think until we can get back to 85, if then. I don't know how many we will lose due to graduation, exhausted eligibility, early exit to the NFL and transfers, but I would not be surprised if we played next year with about the same number of scholarship players as this year. Hopefully the players that are here like the staff and school enough to stay, not to mention the improvement of the way the team is playing.
I understand some players leaving because of lack of playing time, and some say it doesn't matter when they leave if they are not contributing during games. I think it may be a mixed bag.
It frees up spot for someone else but we also lose a player that could grow into a good player during their junior and senior years.

If I understand correctly, UT gets to add 32 this year. 25, which the the usual maximum number yearly, plus up to 7 to replace transfers. Since we are already down 15 scholarship players, it is going to be a couple of years I think until we can get back to 85, if then. I don't know how many we will lose due to graduation, exhausted eligibility, early exit to the NFL and transfers, but I would not be surprised if we played next year with about the same number of scholarship players as this year. Hopefully the players that are here like the staff and school enough to stay, not to mention the improvement of the way the team is playing.
I understand some players leaving because of lack of playing time, and some say it doesn't matter when they leave if they are not contributing during games. I think it may be a mixed bag.
It frees up spot for someone else but we also lose a player that could grow into a good player during their junior and senior years.
You don’t understand correctly. We’re not getting credit for those 15…or even Maurer. They have to go portal in December or afterwards.

At least half the class needs to be freshmen IMO or we'll find ourselves in the same position each year.

If our OL & DL was stronger I think we can win 9 or 10 games next year.

You don’t understand correctly. We’re not getting credit for those 15…or even Maurer. They have to go portal in December or afterwards.
So not retroactive to last years transfers? Going to take a while to get back to 85 then.

Probably a good balance of both, or even a little more of the freshmen, to achieve long term success.

We need to clean out anyone with a coaching change. Looking at the LSU roster first.

I think you have to start keeping a list of all the recruits that you finished second on and use players on your roster to keep in touch with them. If situations change, you already know them and you snap them up.

Reactions: memtownvol
If LSU gets the guy they want from the Panthers, I don't think they will lose anyone due to the coach. He was the OC a couple of years ago when the won it all.

If LSU gets the guy they want from the Panthers, I don't think they will lose anyone due to the coach. He was the OC a couple of years ago when the won it all.
Brady wasn’t the OC and didn’t call plays. His title was Passing Game Coordinator. He was more QB coach who implemented the scheme.

With a ridiculous lack of depth and the need to win quickly, is it better for us to go JuCo/transfer heavy for a couple of seasons? Most freshmen aren't ready to play immediately, and throwing them in there too early is a recipe for injury, attrition, and dejection from both the players and the fan base.
Obviously recruiting older players cannot be the long term plan. Thoughts?
You want to mainly go scholarship players to build and develop them to your system and with our lack of depth we need to get kids in for 4 years or 5. My thinking is to go 80% scholarship players 20% juco route with kids that can play immediately. you dont' want to go to juco heavy because that only leaves them in for 1-2 years max depending on how great of a player they are and ability to go pro.

If there is a player in the portal that fills an immediate need that's fine, but we shouldn't rely on too many of them. They should also have qualities that will inspire the younger players to emulate, i.e., work ethic, leadership, etc. We need to build a solid foundation without full turnover every couple of years.

We need to clean out anyone with a coaching change. Looking at the LSU roster first.

I think you have to start keeping a list of all the recruits that you finished second on and use players on your roster to keep in touch with them. If situations change, you already know them and you snap them up.

We need quick nil deals for those portal guys.

Reactions: wrharvey21
Absolutely need to live on the recruiting portal for 2022; need immediate depth and bodies with game experience
Agree. It seemed like the visitor list for OM game was almost 2-1 2023 vs 2022 recruits. JH may take a flier on a top shelf 1 year guy, but suspect most of them will be at least 2 years left in eligibility. It's an easy sell...proof is in the stats. I expect transfer adds will be salty.

Several of you are forgetting portal players may only have played a year or redshirted so not like they are all going to be juniors or seniors. So its impossible to say how many portal versus recruits you take.
Not to mention that a majority are castoffs who couldn’t cut it at their previous school.

The portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

Still a lot of unknowns with how this whole open season for transfers will work. Future depth charts and playing time just becomes harder to project. Hats off to underclassmen who are still willing to put in the work and wait for their chance.

We may see guys like Bailey and Beckwith head for the door as well.
I would think Bailey would red-shirt.

At least half the class needs to be freshmen IMO or we'll find ourselves in the same position each year.

If our OL & DL was stronger I think we can win 9 or 10 games next year.
The positions at which we need the most help is Linebacker and Safety. Most of the yards we give up are in the middle of the field. We still do not play the slants and hook patterns very well and we have not stopped the QB keeper/draw well. That is where we are giving up all those 3rd and 4th down plays which keeps our defense on the field forever as well as restricts the number of possessions our offense gets. No wonder the defense is gassed in the 4th quarter. Don't get me wrong, the players are giving as much as they have and are compiling some very good stats, but coaches will concentrate on getting the ball to the middle of the field, especially when they have QBs who can run the football. Experienced depth is a problem at most positions, but it will get better with the Freshmen getting to play more. I hope a lot of our recruiting class cam be EEs. Getting to participate in Spring practices will be key in the development of the team for next year.

Reactions: MikeTheVol

VN Store

Back