'21 Recruiting Forum: Official Pittsburgh Pregame/Game Thread

We will continue to struggle in every game that Milton plays in. Great athlete, terrible qb. He should be a discus thrower or something, not a qb. I wish he was, but he is not. Being a qb requires completing passes consistently, not just a freak accident good throw twice per game for 15 yards on top of missing almost every other open pass that most any qb in college football hits easily. Who cares if you're big and can run a little if you cannot complete passes? Kentucky played a wr at qb a couple years ago who can throw more accurately than Milton. The writing is on the wall. This is a Guarantano moment. Will the coaches open their eyes and cut bait now or double down on a losing venture? We're about to find out. I expect they'll keep starting him.

His throws within 15 yards are fine. It’s a throw that requires some air under that he struggles with. The offense is there. I know you really weren’t comparing them, but Milton is not JG. He misses deep passes, but he doesn’t throw it to the other team. The offense actually runs smoother with Milton. Hooker makes me nervous but does well with improvising. It’s something the coaches have to figure out.

His throws within 15 yards are fine. It’s a throw that requires some air under that he struggles with. The offense is there. I know you really weren’t comparing them, but Milton is not JG. He misses deep passes, but he doesn’t throw it to the other team. The offense actually runs smoother with Milton. Hooker makes me nervous but does well with improvising. It’s something the coaches have to figure out.
The only reason he doesn't get intercepted is because the balls are uncatchable by anyone on the field more often than not. The offense may "look" smoother under Joe, but it doesn't produce touchdowns because he cannot throw. If he keeps playing he will start to turn the ball over too eventually. Had he stayed in the game those turnovers Hooker had later would not have mattered because we would have never scored again anyways. I'm saying it now. It's Guarantano part two. Everyone is in love with the potential and is blind to reality. He cannot throw and never will be able to. Never. And Unless we run the old Auburn offense and run every play I don't see any upside to playing Milton at all. Hooker isn't great either but he will complete more passes than Milton can and he's a better runner in traffic.

The only reason he doesn't get intercepted is because the balls are uncatchable by anyone on the field more often than not. The offense may "look" smoother under Joe, but it doesn't produce touchdowns because he cannot throw. If he keeps playing he will start to turn the ball over too eventually. Had he stayed in the game those turnovers Hooker had later would not have mattered because we would have never scored again anyways. I'm saying it now. It's Guarantano part two. Everyone is in love with the potential and is blind to reality. He cannot throw and never will be able to. Never. And Unless we run the old Auburn offense and run every play I don't see any upside to playing Milton at all. Hooker isn't great either but he will complete more passes than Milton can and he's a better runner in traffic.

Hooker will turn it over more IMO. Calling him JG part 2 is nonsense. But that’s me. I’m not blind to anything- he missed several wide open receivers. I just don’t think Hooker is the long term answer either.

It’s up to the coaches to figure it out.

Hooker will turn it over more IMO. Calling him JG part 2 is nonsense. But that’s me. I’m not blind to anything- he missed several wide open receivers. I just don’t think Hooker is the long term answer either.

It’s up to the coaches to figure it out.
Hooker may turn the ball over but eventually so will Milton except with none of the upside. Milton cannot throw and NEVER will be able to. He's not a freshman learning on the job. It is unfixable. It is obvious. I don't care how professional he looks in every other way. He cannot throw. That's the first step in quarterbacking. If you can't do that the other stuff doesn't much matter. We all wanted to believe he would come in improved from what he showed at Michigan, but unfortunately he didn't. The die has been cast imo. Big arm but useless in application.

Exactly!

None of these guys are JG 2.0.

The jury is still kinda out on both of them.

Milton probably played better against Pitt than he did against Bowling Green. Hooker kept us alive with his legs.

Neither QB had much help with the damn ridiculous penalties! Things sputter when you false start or hold every other play.

Every drive we didn't have a penalty ended up in points.

Get our guys healthy for Florida and see if we can clean up those dang penalties.

May not be fixable. UCF was first in the nation in false starts.

Reactions: ndubvols

No Milton just overthrows both teams. lol

Not sure if we've seen enough of Milton. It's still a very small sample size.

I mean he misses the deep balls, (did hit Hyatt) but he wasn't that bad yesterday otherwise.

And sure the deep balls are very damning, but I still liked the offense run by him.

Cool with Hooker too, but most importantly we gotta clean up the penalties my god.

We sure have a kicker though!

Reactions: GoBears
I saw some 247 class calculations on Twitter that had us around #23 even with Nolen in the boat.

I don’t follow it close enough to say anything is impossible - I just don’t see it with this group of coaches. Doesn’t mean they aren’t good X/O and development guys.
Well we didn't win so there goes that anyway

FWIW, people are saying he is JG version 2.0 because he locks on his primary receiver and lets them run as far as they can to see if he can get open before unleashing his fast ball that has no air under it while standing in the pocket flat footed and waiting an eternity if the O-line can hold them off that long. He's just able to escape pressure better.

He does not read coverages well. JG was better at putting air under it on deep sidelines patterns. Milton is better at mobility and running the ball. Neither have any real touch - they are both prone to weird adrenaline rushes. They both throw late after the receiver creates separation. They have poor anticipation of when and where it happens. They are not good P-5 QB's.

Reactions: GoBears

VN Store

Back