Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I'm a black man and that situation was blown out of proportion. While I don't think anyone should use the word, you have to put it in context. A lot of people of all races (in this younger generation especially) use the word now very casually. Similar to saying buddy or homie. He was with his black friends, who obviously were not offended because they refer to him in the same manner. It was used with an (a) at the end,
not a (hard r). This was being said in a non-derogatory manner with his friends and it was caught by someone's home security camera or something. If he wasn't a celebrity, no one would have cared. That's just my 2 cents whether people agree with it or not.
my black friends wouldn't be as easy going. esp if that hard R rolls.

It’s not a false narrative…. It’s why someone like Kaitlyn Jenner gets names woman of the year…. Racism is screamed everywhere…. Look at all the stories on the BYU racism….. Have you seen me retractions when it was proven to be false?
The Kaitlyn Jenner stuff absolutely took it too far and was absolute BS, and the BYU thing was a jump to conclusions situation. The deal with Bubba is that his team did report it to the proper folks and he didn't say anything publicly until it got out elsewhere. I think he unfairly gets lumped into a larger political narrative simply because it helps to drive that narrative.

I've been a huge NASCAR fan for 30 years. Never said NASCAR itself is racist. There are plenty of racists amongst the fans and amongst the lowest local levels of racing that Bubba had to climb through. There's no denying that it has firm southern roots and not all parties involved have always been welcoming to black drivers. I haven't seen anything come from Bubba that was way out of left field, although he can be a little over dramatic at times, so I don't get why anyone reasonable would take a shot at him. He's also a huge Vol fan that doesn't hesitate to publicly support the Vols.
there are racists everywhere. it gets more notoriety in south because of historicity.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
He assumed it was racism without even looking into it. I mean, it was a garage pull. It wasn't an actual noose. He could have simply asked someone about it in private. It didn't have to get publicized like it was.

A person or organization doesn't have to be called directly racist to be harmed. Just the insinuation in today's world can do the same amount of harm.
You don't seem to know the details well. He and his team did report it in private and didn't say anything until it got out elsewhere. What else should he do at that point when all kinds of reporters are asking for his thoughts on it? In that climate with NASCAR publicly trying to be more inclusive, banning the confederate flag, and making public statements that disavowed any racism in the sport...a lot of folks who didn't like it went on the attack against Bubba before the whole noose thing happened. I don't blame the guy for thinking it was intentional...a lot of other folks did, including many drivers. It certainly wasn't a Smollet (however you spell his name) hoax situation.

The Kaitlyn Jenner stuff absolutely took it too far and was absolute BS, and the BYU thing was a jump to conclusions situation. The deal with Bubba is that his team did report it to the proper folks and he didn't say anything publicly until it got out elsewhere. I think he unfairly gets lumped into a larger political narrative simply because it helps to drive that narrative.
I always thought something was fishy with that Bubba story.

I mean, it was a garage pull rope. . . spotted by guys who are in or around a garage 20hrs a day and have been for most of their lives. How did they confuse a garage pull rope with a racist noose?

I always thought something was fishy with that Bubba story.

I mean, it was a garage pull rope. . . spotted by guys who are in or around a garage 20hrs a day and have been for most of their lives. How did they confuse a garage pull rope with a racist noose?
Because it was tied exactly like a noose. There are pictures of it. Somebody evidently did it just randomly well before Bubba was assigned that garage stall.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Because it was tied exactly like a noose. There are pictures of it. Somebody evidently did it just randomly well before Bubba was assigned that garage stall.
I never saw pictures. The explanation just sounded strange. It just seems like someone with that experience would be able to look at it and know it's a garage pull. I guess they knew it was a pull rope, but thought someone tied it in a noose to mess with him?

It's awe-inspiring how nose blind you are in how you cavalierly generalize and stereotype a group of people while playing the racist card.
I am part of that group of white southern NASCAR fans. I'm talking about a segment of them that are racist, and it's the absolute truth. It exists. What I said should only bother you if you are part of that segment.

I am part of that group of white southern NASCAR fans. I'm talking about a segment of them that are racist, and it's the absolute truth. It exists. What I said should only bother you if you are part of that segment.
No. Just the double standard some want to operate by. Making stereotypical hyper-generalizations about a group that they would never consider allowing to happen to other groups. We want a world void of stereotypes and bigotry, so you know... Let's use stereotypes and bigotry to that end.

"You can't talk that way about a black man because he'd had to endure southern rednecks for a living."

Yah. Nose blind.

(For the record. I'm no NASCAR fan. And you can take your lazy "you must be a racist for calling me out" logic and kick rocks.)

You don't seem to know the details well. He and his team did report it in private and didn't say anything until it got out elsewhere. What else should he do at that point when all kinds of reporters are asking for his thoughts on it? In that climate with NASCAR publicly trying to be more inclusive, banning the confederate flag, and making public statements that disavowed any racism in the sport...a lot of folks who didn't like it went on the attack against Bubba before the whole noose thing happened. I don't blame the guy for thinking it was intentional...a lot of other folks did, including many drivers. It certainly wasn't a Smollet (however you spell his name) hoax situation.
What I know is that whether it was his choice or not, he was at the center of a false narrative. He didn't try to diffuse the situation. I don't hate the guy, not accusing him of being "woke", but his name was at the center of the story. That being the case, he should have made sure the correct story was told, and when the truth came out, he could have, and probably should have, been loud in announcing it was not a racist action. Instead, the message that comes out seems to be it's perfectly okay to assume anything and everything has racial implications. Even you are saying it's okay he thought it intentional. Contrary to what has become popular belief, not every white person, or even every Southern white person, is a racist. We're never going to find peace as a people if we continue to look for boogey men around every corner.

I'm sure Bubba is a good guy. I'm not trying to impugn his character in any way. But like I said, this whole mess centered around him which unfortunately means it's on him to make sure the truth is heard. One of those times when being famous sucks.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
What I know is that whether it was his choice or not, he was at the center of a false narrative. He didn't try to diffuse the situation. I don't hate the guy, not accusing him of being "woke", but his name was at the center of the story. That being the case, he should have made sure the correct story was told, and when the truth came out, he could have, and probably should have, been loud in announcing it was not a racist action. Instead, the message that comes out seems to be it's perfectly okay to assume anything and everything has racial implications. Even you are saying it's okay he thought it intentional. Contrary to what has become popular belief, not every white person, or even every Southern white person, is a racist. We're never going to find peace as a people if we continue to look for boogey men around every corner.

I'm sure Bubba is a good guy. I'm not trying to impugn his character in any way. But like I said, this whole mess centered around him which unfortunately means it's on him to make sure the truth is heard. One of those times when being famous sucks.
He did. You just weren't listening.

I'm a black man and that situation was blown out of proportion. While I don't think anyone should use the word, you have to put it in context. A lot of people of all races (in this younger generation especially) use the word now very casually. Similar to saying buddy or homie. He was with his black friends, who obviously were not offended because they refer to him in the same manner. It was used with an (a) at the end,
not a (hard r). This was being said in a non-derogatory manner with his friends and it was caught by someone's home security camera or something. If he wasn't a celebrity, no one would have cared. That's just my 2 cents whether people agree with it or not.
Thank you!...this is what we need more of.

I've been a huge NASCAR fan for 30 years. Never said NASCAR itself is racist. There are plenty of racists amongst the fans and amongst the lowest local levels of racing that Bubba had to climb through. There's no denying that it has firm southern roots and not all parties involved have always been welcoming to black drivers. I haven't seen anything come from Bubba that was way out of left field, although he can be a little over dramatic at times, so I don't get why anyone reasonable would take a shot at him. He's also a huge Vol fan that doesn't hesitate to publicly support the Vols.
Racism is not endemic to white people, to believe it is...is racist. Whites are no more racist than any other race on earth.

I wish everybody was the same color so we could drop this stupid 💩...but then it would just be something else that greatly divided humans.

No. Just the double standard some want to operate by. Making stereotypical hyper-generalizations about a group that they would never consider allowing to happen to other groups. We want a world void of stereotypes and bigotry, so you know... Let's use stereotypes and bigotry to that end.

"You can't talk that way about a black man because he'd had to endure southern rednecks for a living."

Yah. Nose blind.

(For the record. I'm no NASCAR fan. And you can take your lazy "you must be a racist for calling me out" logic and kick rocks.)
Thank you!

I never saw pictures. The explanation just sounded strange. It just seems like someone with that experience would be able to look at it and know it's a garage pull. I guess they knew it was a pull rope, but thought someone tied it in a noose to mess with him?
here is the picture and Bubba went on his poor me national news confirming that it was a noose. Before the FBI spoiled his tour
ZW3RLM4CCNA37EK64BXCOMRIKM.jpg

Just fyi I don’t think he was with black friends. Don’t think he said it with any malice, just out of ignorance.
I had to go back and find that video. He was drunk and referring to a white guy actually. Once again, some will make a big fuss.... but my wife was living in East Nashville when we met. Her younger sister and all her friends (black and white) referred to each other using the N word (with an a) all the time. I hear it being used now by Hispanics, Asians, White kids in the exact same manner that black kids use it everyday. Many times amongst each other. I'm not saying it's ok, but I have never let that word have power over me no matter the context. We as people give words their power. Morgan Wallen made the "Broadway Girls" video after that incident I'm pretty sure. If you haven't seen it check it out. Not because you'll like it, but that dude is not racist. I know a lot of black people will say that no one else should be able to use the N word, but who the hell would want to take ownership of that particular word anyway.

Yah. Nose blind.

It seems like you're not ok with what I'm saying because I'm also not pointing out all the other people that have been racist...or am I getting that wrong? If we had to discuss everyone that has done wrong in order to discuss certain people/groups that did wrong, then we'd be here a while. Yes, there are racists all over the map and there are people who hate you for whatever race you are...but that doesn't pertain to the situation with Bubba Wallace that I've been talking about.

I think calling it a hyper-generalization to point out that racists and racism exists amongst the NASCAR fanbase is a bit off the mark. That's not calling out the entire group or even saying that it is a dominant trait among them, but it's absolutely real. To think that Bubba has never had to deal with it is...to use your words, nose blind. Maybe I've just been unlucky enough to see it at local dirt tracks all the way to the infield at NASCAR races.

That is utter 🦬💩...Wallen is no racist and everybody knows it.

We have got to stop letting the true racist divisive idiots ruin the world.

We don't know if he's racist or not, that's not really the point. I don't want someone who is inconsiderate enough to use the word, maliciously or not, representing the University when there are so many other great role models to pick from.

Some of the young men on the team probably don't care that he was "just being stupid" around his close group of friends. Some might even use the term themselves, but I'm sure there are plenty that are offended by the word, no matter the intent.

Similar to how some people still use the terms "retarded" or "gay" synonymously with stupid. They don't necessarily hate those with mental disabilities or gay people, but they don't take the time to think about how their words make others feel.

Everyone makes mistakes and I know Wallen apologized. He shouldn't be blacklisted. He should be able to make a living. People should be free to listen to and buy his music. He's just not going to be my pick to represent the University.

Not trying to open the "are we becoming too PC" or "everyone can be offended by something" can of worms, just stating my opinion from someone who used to not understand that words matter.

We don't know if he's racist or not, that's not really the point. I don't want someone who is inconsiderate enough to use the word, maliciously or not, representing the University when there are so many other great role models to pick from.

Some of the young men on the team probably don't care that he was "just being stupid" around his close group of friends. Some might even use the term themselves, but I'm sure there are plenty that are offended by the word, no matter the intent.

Similar to how some people still use the terms "retarded" or "gay" synonymously with stupid. They don't necessarily hate those with mental disabilities or gay people, but they don't take the time to think about how their words make others feel.

Everyone makes mistakes and I know Wallen apologized. He shouldn't be blacklisted. He should be able to make a living. People should be free to listen to and buy his music. He's just not going to be my pick to represent the University.

Not trying to open the "are we becoming too PC" or "everyone can be offended by something" can of worms, just stating my opinion from someone who used to not understand that words matter.
Yet, I’m sure if they were to stroll out some rapper that talks about ****ing bitches, getting money and shooting n*****, you wouldn’t bat an eye.

VN Store

Back