Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Are you talking about the song that starts with these lyrics:

“Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise…”

If that feels designed to be divisive, the problem probably isn’t the song.
You're full of crap. You know it's called the "black national anthem" for a reason.

If you like it so much, then be for just scrapping TSSB and call that song "THE National Anthem"

Are you referring to the song called “Lift every voice and sing”?

I’m not trying to argue, but just want to point out that being easily offended by a colloquialism is odd. Especially when it is in reference to something meant to, as the title says, uplift.
You are definitely just wanting to argue, what he said was logical.

Reactions: Glitch
Don't care. Most people have moved past that already. He is back to being the best in the biz and topping the charts.
The N word is a pretty big deal. I know everyone makes mistakes, but there are a ton of other people I would rather see represent the University. Plus, outside of the country world, he doesn't move the needle. I can't name one of his songs.

Dude dropped the N word on a video about a year ago. Not really the optics UT and ESPN will probably go for. I would rather have Dobbs or someone like that representing.
I'm a black man and that situation was blown out of proportion. While I don't think anyone should use the word, you have to put it in context. A lot of people of all races (in this younger generation especially) use the word now very casually. Similar to saying buddy or homie. He was with his black friends, who obviously were not offended because they refer to him in the same manner. It was used with an (a) at the end,
not a (hard r). This was being said in a non-derogatory manner with his friends and it was caught by someone's home security camera or something. If he wasn't a celebrity, no one would have cared. That's just my 2 cents whether people agree with it or not.

I'm a black man and that situation was blown out of proportion. While I don't think anyone should use the word, you have to put it in context. A lot of people of all races (in this younger generation especially) use the word now very casually. Similar to saying buddy or homie. He was with his black friends, who obviously were not offended because they refer to him in the same manner. It was used with an (a) at the end,
not a (hard r). This was being said in a non-derogatory manner with his friends and it was caught by someone's home security camera or something. If he wasn't a celebrity, no one would have cared. That's just my 2 cents whether people agree with it or not.
Isn't your wife white?

Reactions: bigl3327

Thanks for bringing honesty and the reality. Most people. Morgan included, are not racist at all and to assume they are is just dumb.

Morgan just set the Billboard record for most consecutive weeks with an album in the Top Ten at a 86. He already set the record for most consecutive weeks at #1. Seems that a lot of people might be interested in him for positive reasons if he were to be the choice.

Don't care. Most people have moved past that already. He is back to being the best in the biz and topping the charts.

It ain’t even about that for me, although I will say it probably plays into the fact that I wouldn’t choose him, but he’s got a pretty ****** reputation around Nashville. He’s been called out multiple times by local radio and social media posts about his behavior downtown Broadway for getting drunk and acting like he’s too big to get in trouble. Breaking property of bars, fighting bouncers, even tried to fight regular people on the street. I know some of that led to an arrest a few years back. Just not the kind of guy I would want UT to stick up there on National TV. I do admit that most of the US knows nothing of these behaviors though so national perception is probably different than local perception. Still, there are much better options in my opinion.

Bless you...Context matters.

On the Morgan Wallen thing, the person I lost all respect for (and held in very high regard) was Jason Isbell. Isbell all out said that he should get no second chance, no forgiveness, and no repentance. All this of course with no context as was described earlier. I found this utterly repugnant on Isbells part because of his own past as an alcoholic where he described himself as an obnoxious *******. No telling behaviors never came out during that time. Good for him, people from his past never held him in the same judgement.

On the Morgan Wallen thing, the person I lost all respect for (and held in very high regard) was Jason Isbell. Isbell all out said that he should get no second chance, no forgiveness, and no repentance. All this of course with no context as was described earlier. I found this utterly repugnant on Isbells part because of his own past as an alcoholic where he described himself as an obnoxious *******. No telling behaviors never came out during that time. Good for him, people from his past never held him in the same judgement.

Isbell is woke as woke can be.

It ain’t even about that for me, although I will say it probably plays into the fact that I wouldn’t choose him, but he’s got a pretty ****** reputation around Nashville. He’s been called out multiple times by local radio and social media posts about his behavior downtown Broadway for getting drunk and acting like he’s too big to get in trouble. Breaking property of bars, fighting bouncers, even tried to fight regular people on the street. I know some of that led to an arrest a few years back. Just not the kind of guy I would want UT to stick up there on National TV. I do admit that most of the US knows nothing of these behaviors though so national perception is probably different than local perception. Still, there are much better options in my opinion.
This^ I've heard similar stories, not to mention his terrible relationship with his son's mom who he constantly cheated on, or his latest ex-girlfriend who he constantly cheated on.

I've said it before, I like his music and he's a great songwriter but I don't want him as a representative of the university.

If we want an East Tennessee country artist that isn't Kenny Chesney or Morgan Wallen then Kelsea Ballerini is literally from Knoxville and went to Central before she moved to Nashville.

This^ I've heard similar stories, not to mention his terrible relationship with his son's mom who he constantly cheated on, or his latest ex-girlfriend who he constantly cheated on.

I've said it before, I like his music and he's a great songwriter but I don't want him as a representative of the university.

If we want an East Tennessee country artist that isn't Kenny Chesney or Morgan Wallen then Kelsea Ballerini is literally from Knoxville and went to Central before she moved to Nashville.

I didn’t know that about his relationships. Guess that’s par for the course for him. Service industry is a tight knit group downtown on Broadway, word spreads quick.

Or go woke with a Bubba Wallace pick.
Bubba is a good driver, just won the race last weekend, and is a HUGE Vol fan. Using "woke" as a slight against the only black driver in NASCAR, who has undoubtedly experienced a lot of racist sh** trying to climb the ladder in a "good ol' boy" sport, reflects poorly on you.

VN Store

Back