Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

My devotion this morning….

Forgiveness | Baptist Bible Hour
Forgiveness

I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake
- 1 John 2:12

You are a sinner. Your thoughts, your actions, and your words are all tainted with selfishness, pride, and idolatry. You need forgiveness.

By whom do you need to be forgiven? While you may have hurt friends or family along the way, the one person whom everyone has offended is God. Because he is thoroughly good and holy, God will not allow sin and wickedness to go unpunished. He will not simply ignore or forget it.

But how can you be forgiven? No matter how good or charitable you may be, you cannot undo the sins you have committed in the past, and even one sin is too many for a perfect, holy God to overlook. So you cannot earn forgiveness by doing good works.

John announces, however, that your sins are forgiven you for his (Jesus') name's sake. Because of the perfectly righteous life that Jesus Christ lived, and because he died on the cross to pay for sin, you can be forgiven through Christ. He took your sins on himself, and he gave you his perfect record!

Your sins have been forgiven, then, through faith in Jesus Christ. And if God has so freely and sacrificially forgiven you, how should you now respond to others? If you have not earned God's forgiveness, but instead he gave it freely to you, why would you make others' earn your forgiveness?

I believe that every human was made in God's image, and every one of us inherited Adam's sin nature. Thus we were all born into sin and incapability. I don't see human beings--none of them--as 'things'. I see all of us as deserving an eternity separated from God, the only source of good/love/fulfillment/etc...thus all of us have earned our place in Hell.

I see every human as deserving that, and yet loved by God. Loved so much that the Father would send the Son to be tortured and murdered as a scapegoat--a substitutionary sin. For every last one. Imagine that. For Hitler and Osama Bin Ladin. Imagine that... even for me.

I see every human as a Pearl of Great Price. As a treasure hidden in mud--dirty and appearing worthless. And yet, when Jesus found them, He sold all that He owned to buy the field so He could have them.

Osama Bin Ladin was a mass murderer. So was Hitler. Yet if I'm to take Jesus at His word, He equated hatred and anger to be just as bad as murder. How many times have I lost my temper and harbored grudges? How many times have you admitted on here--or exhibited on here--a pretty bad temper?

I'm glad you got my implication. It was intended. You and I are in no shape to call any other person a 'thing'. The gospel is one beggar telling another beggar where the feast is.

If you want to live the gospel, realize that you and I are beggars, brother.

That's the gospel. You can accept it or reject it. I won't feel bad or embarrassed for saying it, as it's the power of God to salvation--for ALL people.
I think McGill believes this. He just also believes there are those that will not accept the offer.

I think McGill believes this. He just also believes there are those that will not accept the offer.
The distinction I’d add is that accepting the offer is no more impossible for someone we think of as awful than it was for ourselves.

Prior to faith, we’re described as “dead in our sin” - that’s an impossible situation for Bin Laden, myself, and my grandmother unless the Lord intervenes.

Our salvation as a result, is in no way tethered to our natural disposition or ability to receive the gospel as none would (Romans 1-3), but is wholly dependent on the mercy of God, totally in spite who I am naturally.

Perhaps. But the question isn't whether they will accept it. The question is whether we will see others as God sees them/us.

It's interesting, the Pharisees saw everyone else as dogs/things. They believed they were OK with God by birth and activity--by the law. So, Jesus was pretty severe with them. Actually pointed at the non-Pharisees and warned them that if they tried to approach God in the same way, they'd have to be perfect--better than the Pharisees. It was a caged insult directed at the Pharisees. "You're not all that."

Then, later, Jesus explained how to uphold the entirety of the law.

Love others. Especially the ones you feel don't deserve love. (That's how God loves you.)

Rejoicing the eternal torment of someone is not love--whether they accepted the gospel or not.

Psalm 145:8-9--God is slow to anger and abounding in love.

I believe God is glorified by His justice--for what crooked judge is worthy of compliment?--but I also believe He mourns every soul that rejects His gospel.

2 Peter 2:3 -- He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Do we love because someone is worthy of it? Or because we've experienced what it is to be unlovable, yet loved?

1 John 4:19 -- We love because He first loved us.

What is the proof that we are His disciples?

John 13:15 -- If you love each other, everyone will know that you are my disciples.

And how do we grow in love? As mentioned earlier, realizing how much we're loved. But associated with that is to realize how much we are forgiven.

Luke 7:47 -- Those who are forgiven much love much...

It is not a disservice to someone to remind a fellow believer how much they are forgiven, and how much we are called to see others as God sees us/them.

Shalom

Perhaps. But the question isn't whether they will accept it. The question is whether we will see others as God sees them/us.

It's interesting, the Pharisees saw everyone else as dogs/things. They believed they were OK with God by birth and activity--by the law. So, Jesus was pretty severe with them. Actually pointed at the non-Pharisees and warned them that if they tried to approach God in the same way, they'd have to be perfect--better than the Pharisees. It was a caged insult directed at the Pharisees. "You're not all that."

Then, later, Jesus explained how to uphold the entirety of the law.

Love others. Especially the ones you feel don't deserve love. (That's how God loves you.)

Rejoicing the eternal torment of someone is not love--whether they accepted the gospel or not.

I believe God is glorified by His justice--for what crooked judge is worthy of compliment?--but I also believe He mourns every soul that rejects His gospel.

Do we love because someone is worthy of it? Or because we've experienced what it is to be unlovable, yet loved?

What is the proof that we are His disciples?

And how do we grow in love? As mentioned earlier, realizing how much we're loved. But associated with that is to realize how much we are forgiven.

Luke 7:47 -- Those who are forgiven much love much...

It is not a disservice to someone to remind a fellow believer how much they are forgiven, and how much we are called to see others as God sees us/them.

Shalom
All true. And I didn’t think it was a disservice to him. Was just trying to keep it from going in two different directions.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
A life ended is a life that can't find salvation. That's what's wrong with rejoicing in a death. As long as a person breathes there's time for their soul to find salvation. You should understand this.
There’s a Million or more Jews that would disagree with you!

The distinction I’d add is that accepting the offer is no more impossible for someone we think of as awful than it was for ourselves.

Prior to faith, we’re described as “dead in our sin” - that’s an impossible situation for Bin Laden, myself, and my grandmother unless the Lord intervenes.

Our salvation as a result, is in no way tethered to our natural disposition or ability to receive the gospel as none would (Romans 1-3), but is wholly dependent on the mercy of God, totally in spite who I am naturally.
James White? :p

There’s a Million or more Jews that would disagree with you!

What on Earth are you referencing? If it's the Shoah, it was over 6 million who perished and yet my comment wasn't about that. I think you'd be quite surprised about what Jews believe in terms of Sheol. Even the most wicked and evil soul will only spend 12 months in Sheol.

I understand that some folks love to feel joy at other people's suffering or death but even dressed up under the guise of 'oh it's ok because so-so was evil' it's still wrong. It's not about them - they're dead and can't feel. It's about what such a thing does to you. You can only dabble in the dark so much and there's always a price for it.

Reactions: Devo182
A life ended is a life that can't find salvation. That's what's wrong with rejoicing in a death. As long as a person breathes there's time for their soul to find salvation. You should understand this.
I’m sorry, but I consider some people beyond redemption. The Bible itself has unforgivable sins. Communist dictators banned Christianity while simultaneously executing any opposition. So I don’t feel bad about being happy with their deaths without redemption when they didn’t offer the same courtesy to millions more.

I’m sorry, but I consider some people beyond redemption. The Bible itself has unforgivable sins. Communist dictators banned Christianity while simultaneously executing any opposition. So I don’t feel bad about being happy with their deaths without redemption when they didn’t offer the same courtesy to millions more.

Blasphemy against the spirit is the only unforgivable sin listed in the bible. As for your joy at people's deaths, glad you're happy with it.

I think there are people who can become beyond salvation. Romans 1 seems to indicate the danger of this. However, I don't think it's our place to decide who that may be. For instance, aside the political affiliation, your example described Saul/Paul.

1 - It's not our place to decide who is beyond salvation.
2 - We can still love the lost enough to be saddened by their fate.

Just a couple of my thought...

Last edited:
Not sure if allowed to post here....I don't want to clutter the board but I mostly interact in the RF. Prayers, jokes to make me laugh or anything else are humbly appreciated.

Hey everyone,
I truly hate posting any kind of request for help for me but don't know what else to do in the short term. It's embarassing. Things were just about to work out fine for the next few months until a wreckless driver ruined my Saturday, shattered my arm and possibly caused worse damage to my back (will find that out in coming weeks).

I sincerely appreciate anything that anyone can do and understand if you can't or don't feel called to. Prayers are equally as appreciated. Thank you all.

gofund.me

Hamrick family pay bills after emergency, organized by Raleigh Hamrick

Hello, my name is Raleigh Hamrick with a wife and 2 children and I am in ser… Raleigh Hamrick needs your support for Hamrick family pay bills after emergency
gofund.me

Attachments​

• 20240113_142227.jpg
    20240113_142227.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 13
  • 17053105118657351505541909112056.jpg

A man went to a lawyer and asked what his fee was. “$100 for three questions,” answered the lawyer. “Isn’t that a little steep?” said the man. “Yes,” said the lawyer. “Now, what’s your third question?”
Coming from a family of trial lawyers,

I can attest to you.

That I made the right decision to not go into law.

VN Store

Back