Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know where we stand with herd immunity. We do not yet have an accurate blood test. The rapid test that is being used is at least 20 % inaccurate and only 10% or less of the population have been tested. We are still way behind in knowing where we stand. I understand that the 2 hour "political" briefings have been postponed which should eliminate information such as, injecting disinfects and getting blasted with U. V. rays being suggested.
We will get the needed epidemiological information to allow a scientific plan to be developed and to determine if an efficient vaccine can be developed and if an effective treatment can be identified or developed. However, a timetable for these accomplishments is still unknown. After years of research, effective vaccines for the corona virus which cause the common cold have not been developed. This pandemic may be the catalyst needed for a vaccine to be to become available.
i think the expectatoin is that it winds up on the seasonal vaccine list like getting a flu shot or allergy shot...not a full blown vaccine for like for small pox or something....

the rest, i pretty much agree. need a treatment or as close to everyone as possible needs to be screened/tested so you know what your proper course of action should be going forward...treatment/quarantine/stay at home or go back to "normal".....

nice, congrats!
we've just been doing projects for the past two months. we've done all the "small" ones we wanted to get done....

taking on the 1st big one this week...gonna repaint the kitchen cabinets, change out all the hardware, and install under cabinet lighting. so i was at Lowes yesterday getting all the supplies we'll need. still waiting on the wife to decide which color........................................................................................so someday we'll actually get started.

fixing/restoring/modifying the deck is probably next....

oh and i gotta replace the disposal. that crapped out on us. lol.
I’ve been flexing my not so handy muscle recently. Fixed the dishwasher, our bathroom’s toilet, and our dryer. I’ve made myself and her, frankly, quite proud. I’m not mechanically inclined and I’m not very handy but I’ve definitely been learning. YouTube is very helpful as well!

Me & my wife are about to start building our dream home, so I’m gonna be in there & Home Depot quite frequently
Congrats man. My wife and I just bought our first house. We owned a condo when we first got married but have been renters ever since. We finally bought us a place and we love it

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I’ve been flexing my not so handy muscle recently. Fixed the dishwasher, our bathroom’s toilet, and our dryer. I’ve made myself and her, frankly, quite proud. I’m not mechanically inclined and I’m not very handy but I’ve definitely been learning. YouTube is very helpful as well!
10-4 on that....i find that owning a house inevitably makes you, at least part, handy man.....i tend to call experts if it gets too deep on electrical/plumbing or hvac....but on most everything else, i at least give it a shot...lol.

Congrats man. My wife and I just bought our first house. We owned a condo when we first got married but have been renters ever since. We finally bought us a place and we love it
Congratulations, brother! When me and my wife first got together we were renting since she had just moved back from N.C. 🤮, then we were fortunate to find our first home and took a leap of faith & bought it here in north Knoxville. We’ll only be moving 5 miles away but we’re building twice the house we live in now in a fenced off community with a 10 acre & 55 ft deep lake that’s stocked with all the good stuff! Life will be good. They’ve even got a huge gazebo that you can reserve to have celebrations & cookouts. It’s quite the set up. Blessed beyond what I’m deserved.

Congratulations, brother! When me and my wife first got together we were renting since she had just moved back from N.C. 🤮, then we were fortunate to find our first home and took a leap of faith & bought it here in north Knoxville. We’ll only be moving 5 miles away but we’re building twice the house we live in now in a fenced off community with a 10 acre & 55 ft deep lake that’s stocked with all the good stuff! Life will be good. They’ve even got a huge gazebo that you can reserve to have celebrations & cookouts. It’s quite the set up. Blessed beyond what I’m deserved.
Congratulations man! That place sounds awesome

10-4 on that....i find that owning a house inevitably makes you, at least part, handy man.....i tend to call experts if it gets too deep on electrical/plumbing or hvac....but on most everything else, i at least give it a shot...lol.
There’s zero shame in calling someone that does it for a living. No sense in spending money to not fix it yourself the correct way. Way less headache to just swallow your pride sometimes haha.

This is on the list for my wife and I as well. Let me know what tricks you learn so I don't destroy mine! HA.

Also, I hated changing the garbage disposal. My shoulders don't like fitting underneath sinks. An extra set of hands while not necessary helps.
fortunately, regarding the disposal, i've changed this one out before so i know what to expect, and i can just re use the attachment to the sink...so that's the hardest part imo....

on the cabinets, i told my wife last night we should do the drawer faces first on the island.....that way we can at least make a bit of a test run before we get to the main cabinets and drawers....i was like, we've never even taken a quiz and we're jumping right in to the final exam!! lol.....

i've done a lot of reading up on it and a neighbor does stuff like this on the side, so he's been helpful in giving us some tips.

i can go ahead and tell you some that i think will be very important:
1. paint the backs of the doors first
2. map your cabinets and drawers on a sheet of paper and number them. number the hinges as well...if your cabient door has 2 hinges, then #1 basically has 3 pcs: 1, 1a, and 1b...bag each door's hardware seperately, and # the door/drawer ...
3. time...time is the biggest factor doing it far as i can tell. this isn't something you can do in a weekend, so prepare to alter how your life operates in your kitchen for at least a week, maybe more depending on how long per day you can actually work on it.
4. read up on the different types of paint and primer...some are not compatitable w/each other, and just get your mind around spending some money on some good paint. this isn't drywall paint you can get for $15-$30/gal.
5. cleaning the cabinet frames and doors....use degreaser, good degreaser. apparently cleaning the doors, prior to sanding, and then re cleaning after sanding are the most important parts of hte process.....so read up on those two things if nothing else.....
6. you don't necessarily have to remove all contents from your cabinets. you can tape plastic sheets of a drop cloth or garbage bags inside the cabient, behind the door, to protect contents from paint/dust. just up to you, could be a big time saver if you do that right.
7. let hte primer cure completely. let each coat of paint cure completely before you start the next coat....depending on the type of paint you use, you're talking at least 24, up to 48 hours for the paint to cure properly....so, again, forgetting all the prep work, you're probably looking at 3 days just to prime and paint...and that's if you can paint all the drawers/doors at the same time....
8. sanding...use fine grit...this is a bit of a gray area, cause some folks will tell you to sand it pretty good, especially if you have darker cabinets and you're going lighter coloer, others will tell you just to scuff the surface so the primer will take, if you use good primer, you won't need to kill yourself sanding....and if you sand to far down, the wood will just soak everything up. the key....cleaing after sanding removing all dust, and using good primer, and letting it set up before you paint.
9. check your drawers, some are whole assemblies that have to be removed completely, some have drawer fronts that can be removed w/out taking the whole drawer out....just a couple screws, and the face comes off seperately....can make it easier to deal with.

plenty of articles, blogs and videos out there about it...i saw one video that was time lapsed, it was pretty cool. you realize pretty quick with all the drawers and cabinet doors, you start to realize, where the heck am i gonna paint all these things? can't do them all at the same time.....so plan out where you're gonna paint, and about how many doors/drawers you can paint at one time.

lastly, if you're changing the door/drawer pulls, and you're going from a single screw pull to a two screw pull/handle, to make that easier, cause you're gonna have to drill, make a template for the 2 hole handle, with the center marked. that way when you go to mark/drill the new holes, you can just put the center mark on your template over the old hole, and mark/drill the two new ones. that way you don't have to go mark/measure each one. could save some time. do that beofre you sand/prime/paint....

get woodfiller too. inevetiablly while taking hinges off or pulls off something will not work right. check the woodfiller you get that it can be drilled/screwed again if needed, and that it can be stained/painted.

anything else we figure out the hard way, i'll let you know. but those are the things i've picked up on that seem relatively important.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
There’s zero shame in calling someone that does it for a living. No sense in spending money to not fix it yourself the correct way. Way less headache to just swallow your pride sometimes haha.
i work really hard so i can be lazy...... if i can't get it done right the first time, then i'm calling somebody, i have no desire to do anything like that twice..... lol.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Dylan Brooks just committed and y’all turning this into Home Depot.....stop it. BOOOOOM! Do we think this kid is a high character non-flipping kid? I don’t see him being an attention seeker and that’s usually a red flag.
uh...it was Lowes, thank you very much.

anything else we figure out the hard way, i'll let you know. but those are the things i've picked up on that seem relatively important.

And this post is why VN is 1000x greater than any bama board on the net. Not ONLY do we get to learn about taking the #1 player from Alabama (soon to be #23, but I digress) but we also get great info on carpentry and cabinet painting info all in one. (on the bama board you may get a couple of hints on how the septic tank works, but everything else is how great they are at winning championships and Saban)

Great post Jake :)

I'll take a shot and say Timberlake?

fortunately, regarding the disposal, i've changed this one out before so i know what to expect, and i can just re use the attachment to the sink...so that's the hardest part imo....

on the cabinets, i told my wife last night we should do the drawer faces first on the island.....that way we can at least make a bit of a test run before we get to the main cabinets and drawers....i was like, we've never even taken a quiz and we're jumping right in to the final exam!! lol.....

i've done a lot of reading up on it and a neighbor does stuff like this on the side, so he's been helpful in giving us some tips.

i can go ahead and tell you some that i think will be very important:
1. paint the backs of the doors first
2. map your cabinets and drawers on a sheet of paper and number them. number the hinges as well...if your cabient door has 2 hinges, then #1 basically has 3 pcs: 1, 1a, and 1b...bag each door's hardware seperately, and # the door/drawer ...
3. time...time is the biggest factor doing it far as i can tell. this isn't something you can do in a weekend, so prepare to alter how your life operates in your kitchen for at least a week, maybe more depending on how long per day you can actually work on it.
4. read up on the different types of paint and primer...some are not compatitable w/each other, and just get your mind around spending some money on some good paint. this isn't drywall paint you can get for $15-$30/gal.
5. cleaning the cabinet frames and doors....use degreaser, good degreaser. apparently cleaning the doors, prior to sanding, and then re cleaning after sanding are the most important parts of hte process.....so read up on those two things if nothing else.....
6. you don't necessarily have to remove all contents from your cabinets. you can tape plastic sheets of a drop cloth or garbage bags inside the cabient, behind the door, to protect contents from paint/dust. just up to you, could be a big time saver if you do that right.
7. let hte primer cure completely. let each coat of paint cure completely before you start the next coat....depending on the type of paint you use, you're talking at least 24, up to 48 hours for the paint to cure properly....so, again, forgetting all the prep work, you're probably looking at 3 days just to prime and paint...and that's if you can paint all the drawers/doors at the same time....
8. sanding...use fine grit...this is a bit of a gray area, cause some folks will tell you to sand it pretty good, especially if you have darker cabinets and you're going lighter coloer, others will tell you just to scuff the surface so the primer will take, if you use good primer, you won't need to kill yourself sanding....and if you sand to far down, the wood will just soak everything up. the key....cleaing after sanding removing all dust, and using good primer, and letting it set up before you paint.
9. check your drawers, some are whole assemblies that have to be removed completely, some have drawer fronts that can be removed w/out taking the whole drawer out....just a couple screws, and the face comes off seperately....can make it easier to deal with.

plenty of articles, blogs and videos out there about it...i saw one video that was time lapsed, it was pretty cool. you realize pretty quick with all the drawers and cabinet doors, you start to realize, where the heck am i gonna paint all these things? can't do them all at the same time.....so plan out where you're gonna paint, and about how many doors/drawers you can paint at one time.

lastly, if you're changing the door/drawer pulls, and you're going from a single screw pull to a two screw pull/handle, to make that easier, cause you're gonna have to drill, make a template for the 2 hole handle, with the center marked. that way when you go to mark/drill the new holes, you can just put the center mark on your template over the old hole, and mark/drill the two new ones. that way you don't have to go mark/measure each one. could save some time. do that beofre you sand/prime/paint....

get woodfiller too. inevetiablly while taking hinges off or pulls off something will not work right. check the woodfiller you get that it can be drilled/screwed again if needed, and that it can be stained/painted.

Thank you! This is awesome advice! My wife did the whole I watched a YouTube video and they were done in a weekend.

I knew better. HA.

One, I'm too methodical for that and two, I'm not made of money so I go slow to get it right the first time! I know this is off topic but would love to see final pics when you're finished.

Nope! Try again
Ehh, I was sure of it. I haven't lived in Knoxville in 10 years now. Timberlake was the only place that fit that description that I knew of from my time living there. North Knox is my old stomping grounds. It is growing like crazy, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back