Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Trump on Friday admitted that his enthusiasm for an antimalarial drug unproven as a coronavirus treatment was based largely on gut instinct, after an open disagreement with the nation’s top infectious disease expert at a White House press briefing.

When reporters asked Tony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, whether the drug hydroxychloroquine was effective at preventing coronavirus, he said simply: “The answer is no.”

But when Trump came back to the microphone, he told reporters that “we ought to give it a try.”

“I think we disagree a little bit,” Trump added. “I feel good about it. That’s all it is, just a feeling, you know, smart guy. I feel good about it.”

Its almost like he has no idea what he's talking about and we should stop listening to him about important issues.

In the press conference I saw neither Trump nor Dr. Fauci said either of those things. Trump talked about the successes the French testing seemed ti be having with a combo of the malaria drug and antibiotics and that is what Trump was talking about in the press conference I watched. Dr. Fauci also said in that same presser that combo could work, but he needs to see more testing. Trump also said the combo may work and it may not, but that he feels good about it, and I personally see nothing wrong with a president offering some hope. Even Dr. Fauci noted that was the president's role, while his role was from the clinical side.

In the press conference I saw neither Trump nor Dr. Fauci said either of those things. Trump talked about the successes the French testing seemed ti be having with a combo of the malaria drug and antibiotics and that is what Trump was talking about in the press conference I watched. Dr. Fauci also said in that same presser that combo could work, but he needs to see more testing. Trump also said the combo may work and it may not, but that he feels good about it, and I personally see nothing wrong with a president offering some hope. Even Dr. Fauci noted that was the president's role, while his role was from the clinical side.
The president is not a doctor, scientist, or oracle. Better to not say anything.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
Every president we have ever had has discussed the current crisis they were dealing with, regardless of their lack of expertise on the subject. They have advisors.

Interesting article about leadership as it mentions what Churchill, Roosevelt and others brought to the table, . Fairly balanced even though it was on Fox News (know this will cause some to dismiss it)
Victor Davis Hanson: Trump can defeat coronavirus, save economy and turn disaster into an American victory

Every president we have ever had has discussed the current crisis they were dealing with, regardless of their lack of expertise on the subject. They have advisors.
it would be better if the advisors gave recommendations instead of him. That's just a personal preference. That is why most people in leadership say, I will defer to so and so on that topic. Even though he may have been briefed on it, speaking on it opens one up to criticism.

it would be better if the advisors gave recommendations instead of him. That's just a personal preference. That is why most people in leadership say, I will defer to so and so on that topic. Even though he may have been briefed on it, speaking on it opens one up to criticism.

The American people expect to hear from their president during a crisis. He gets his briefs and he gives his opinion. It would be one thing if he was giving his own thoughts during daily briefings and wasn't allowing Dr. Fauci and the other medical and scientific experts to speak, but he does allow them to speak freely. I have no problem at all with him, or any president, offering some hope based off what he is learning from some of the testing in France and other places. I don't see him as being at loggerheads with the medical experts. If others don't want to hear his opinions that is certainly their right.

The American people expect to hear from their president during a crisis. He gets his briefs and he gives his opinion. It would be one thing if he was giving his own thoughts during daily briefings and wasn't allowing Dr. Fauci and the other medical and scientific experts to speak, but he does allow them to speak freely. I have no problem at all with him, or any president, offering some hope based off what he is learning from some of the testing in France and other places. I don't see him as being at loggerheads with the medical experts. If others don't want to hear his opinions that is certainly their right.
Most of Americans want to have hope or a target date for returning to normal. When Trump gave his opinion that he would like to "begin" going back to work by Easter .. this gave most Americans a target for hope. On the other side, the Trump haters were going to criticize anything he said.

One of the people on TV used an analogy of a personal trainer encouraging you to do 3 more sets of 15 push ups. Once you finish the set of 3 .. the trainer says OK ..one more set. You tell yourself .. OK I can do 1 more set. We need goals to shoot for. . Not pessimistic whoa is me .. during these times.

Reactions: Rishvol
Bingo. It's an investment that will yield a positive return.

Just like 2008 injection. It was completely needed. All capital markets had seized up and liquidity was nill.
Its funny how people still criticize the big govt bailouts in 2008. The American taxpayers made a killing as a result of those bailouts. The govt took shares of many companies (like AIG) when they loaned them money. All companies that took bailout loans paid back the money + interest and the govt sold their shares of those companies at 4 and 5 times the amount they bought at.

Its funny how people still criticize the big govt bailouts in 2008. The American taxpayers made a killing as a result of those bailouts. The govt took shares of many companies (like AIG) when they loaned them money. All companies that took bailout loans paid back the money + interest and the govt sold their shares of those companies at 4 and 5 times the amount they bought at.
Bingo. Ideology can make some blind to pragmatism unfortunately.

Such a weird false stereotype to build against others when the 6 states with the highest food stamp recipients are red - New Mexico, Louisiana, WV, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Alabama.

Now, is it because they lack work ethic? No. It is socioeconomics. Those in need will ask for it. Both sides have tough workers and lazy shizzes. I live in very blue Asheville and we have something like 3-4% unemployment. Rural red counties surround us and have much higher unemployment. Do I think they are lazy? No, I think industry and work has left those areas and they are financially distressed. But it is easier to demonize others than to understand them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back