Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on if you can get ATT fiber or if its DSL

Comcast sucks a phat one. Charter is literally two blocks over, 4 times faster.

Fiber. Definitely Fiber.

giphy.gif

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Fiber is legit, unless network is maxed out. Even coax employs fiber these days. If network is archaic or maxed out; you'll see **** speeds

They just entered our area and put in all new lines. Like I said in another post, all the neighbors have been raving about it.

Last year I did the same thing after many years as a Comcast customer. I must say, regrettably, that AT&T internet is, well, terrible.

Yep. My daughter did that and immediately regretted it. I dropped Comcast cable a few years ago, but kept their business class internet service and starting streaming thru Sling and Netflix. I switched from Sling to YoutubeTV when that came out. The thing with Comcast is any time they send me a notice that they are raising the rate on internet service I call and tell them I am switching to Google Fiber and they always find me a new lower deal to keep me from canceling. With their business class internet I almost never have any issues with streaming and can have family streaming on multiple tvs, using a laptop, and playing xbox and never any issues at all.

Just switched to At&t Fiber. The speed test says it’s a lot faster. I’m unimpressed with their wifi Gateway though. I may need to purchase a WiFi booster. My YouTube Tv buffers way too much for my liking. My upstairs TV looses signal more than Comcast WiFi Gateway. I imagine if I was hooked up with Ethernet I’d be web-surfing like a banshee.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
They just entered our area and put in all new lines. Like I said in another post, all the neighbors have been raving about it.
In GEPON network, still shared bandwidth. Its possible to get overloaded. ATT has money to resolve issues quickly, whereas Municipalities struggle. Had an engineer friend tell me GEPONS is first user to stream, meaning first come first serve.

You may want to jump on board.

I know with Docsis 3.1, modems reallocate bandwidth to next subscriber if a subscriber's services are pinging higher than they are paying for. It's all shared.

Are you in Cleveland area by any chance? Place is like the battleground for telecom.

Last edited:
Just switched to At&t Fiber. The speed test says it’s a lot faster. I’m unimpressed with their wifi Gateway though. I may need to purchase a WiFi booster. My YouTube Tv buffers way too much for my liking. My upstairs TV looses signal more than Comcast WiFi Gateway. I imagine if I was hooked up with Ethernet I’d be web-surfing like a banshee.
Interesting. I know other DSL promote 'fiber' to premise. Which is broad. It's truly fiber to node or even curb. DSL rest of way. Ive even seen some just type out word 'fiber' on invoices. After deep diving, customer received equivalent of dial up speeds.

Reactions: engineerVOL
Yep. My daughter did that and immediately regretted it. I dropped Comcast cable a few years ago, but kept their business class internet service and starting streaming thru Sling and Netflix. I switched from Sling to YoutubeTV when that came out. The thing with Comcast is any time they send me a notice that they are raising the rate on internet service I call and tell them I am switching to Google Fiber and they always find me a new lower deal to keep me from canceling. With their business class internet I almost never have any issues with streaming and can have family streaming on multiple tvs, using a laptop, and playing xbox and never any issues at all.
Comcast is the elephant. Ive researched this. They dont 'throttle', however. now that ISP's have access to our streaming data they've 1- employed a data cap of 1GB for resi customers, forcing to Business Class rates (no difference in business class speeds. 2- and reallocate bandwidth to users who use less data, in essence is a type of throttling iyam.

Do you have the ability to turn off their WiFi and just use the box as a modem with your own router? I don't think I've ever seen a decent WiFi router in one of those combo boxes.

Reactions: engineerVOL
Interesting. I know other DSL promote 'fiber' to premise. Which is broad. It's truly fiber to node or even curb. DSL rest of way. Ive even seen some just type out word 'fiber' on invoices. After deep diving, customer received equivalent of dial up speeds.

They installed fiber few years ago and green-lighted me for it. They installed a fiber line to my house and to the little white box under my desk. From there it’s Cat-5 to my modem.

They installed fiber few years ago and green-lighted me for it. They installed a fiber line to my house and to the little white box under my desk. From there it’s Cat-5 to my modem.
are you sure the line they ran from pole or turn up is fiber? could be pair.

ive only ever seen one place in my experience that had replaced all copper interior lines with fiber. they had also spent $60K to run dedicated from head end. so, money wasnt an issue. one call and they go from 100 X 100 with miniscule latency up to 10 sym. Pretty cool.

Residentially, I think Cat 5E is fine. It's a money trap.

Of all the ILEC's; i would believe ATT as employing true fiber, and, when done it's legit. Fios is another legit connection.

Future of fiber is wireless TV. Pretty exciting. TDS is already doing this.

I have Spectrum (old Time Warner) and I actually bought both my modem and router (separately) so I wasn't stuck with whatever they decided to hand me. It's cheaper too over the long run since I don't pay the monthly rental fee.

Surprised they let you do both. Usually its one or other. As companies converge, wouldnt surprise me in least to see that change.

are you sure the line they ran from pole or turn up is fiber? could be pair.

ive only ever seen one place in my experience that had replaced all copper interior lines with fiber. they had also spent $60K to run dedicated from head end. so, money wasnt an issue. one call and they go from 100 X 100 with miniscule latency up to 10 sym. Pretty cool.

Residentially, I think Cat 5E is fine. It's a money trap.

Of all the ILEC's; i would believe ATT as employing true fiber, and, when done it's legit. Fios is another legit connection.

Future of fiber is wireless TV. Pretty exciting. TDS is already doing this.

Pair?

The line from the pole is thin and black. Has two wires encased in it. That same flat black line comes into my house. From there I definitely see the fiber line. It’s white thin very flexible.
DCF528D9-ECC9-4BBF-A610-7FEC385013DA.jpeg
1A44B29A-C0CD-4CD6-9C8E-7B5BC830360C.jpeg

Pair?

The line from the pole is thin and black. Has two wires encased in it. That same flat black line comes into my house. From there I definitely see the fiber line. It’s white thin very flexible.
View attachment 238266
View attachment 238264

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Do you have phone as well? Not sure why they'd bring in paired line with fiber otherwise? Two flat black wires has most always, universally meant paired copper.

That white box (i assume) is the transfer point for digital to analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back