Recruiting Forum Off Topic Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically skipped the entire debate but y'all discussing "young Earth" dinosaur theories or whatever it's called?

If so, I try to skip the debatable stuff. Earth accumulates at a certain rate and barring erosion prone areas etc, there's just certain depths that different fossils are found at. Some argue what that age is but for certain, no disaster separated human and other more modern fossils from prehistoric ones.
They're not at the same depths naturally and no way a catastrophe layered them in order.

The exact age can be debated but I don't think the lack of cohabitation should be.

Build up of stone and dirt are fairly reliable and "deeper is older" is both basic and hard to argue against. It would take some fantastical tales to explain away the obvious separation in undisturbed areas, imo.

My take anyway and hope I didn't offend anyone. Like I said, didn't read through.

Reactions: hooter vol
Dude you need to go to some Southern Baptist services. It's all fire and brimstone and yes if you ask most Christians if a Muslim is going to hell you will get a resounding yes.
Not from this Christian. I think you're dead wrong here. Sure there are some but there are atheist and agnostics that would just as soon burn a Muslim at the stake than look at them. There is equal opportunity hate all over the spectrum.

Reactions: ValleyAlVol
Since the debate has been ongoing. I've taken my bible learning and my general education learning and crafted what I believe to be truth. Maybe the more literal bible believer will bash me or correct me. I'll just say upfront though, this is a foundation I don't intend to dig up in my personal walk.

I believe Adam & Eve are the origin of the bloodline to Jesus and their story isn't shared because they were the "first" of mankind period, but rather the first in the bloodline that lead to Jesus himself.

I think people also have to understand that God does not exist on the same plane of existence as everything else. He exists outside of time, hence the omniscience. We try to place human limitations on a being that has no limits. We try to make God human and that in turn makes us question God, because we as humans are extremely limited and if we place human characteristics on God then He must be limited too. However, if God is humanesque then why would He be worthy of our praise and worship? He is worthy of our praise and worship because he is so much more powerful and incredible than our limited mortal imaginations can fathom. If you allow yourself to stop putting limits on what God might be capable of, it totally changes how you see God and the story of this earth that He created.

I think people also have to understand that God does not exist on the same plane of existence as everything else. He exists outside of time, hence the omniscience. We try to place human limitations on a being that has no limits. We try to make God human and that in turn makes us question God, because we as humans are extremely limited and if we place human characteristics on God then He must be limited too. However, if God is humanesque then why would He be worthy of our praise and worship? He is worthy of our praise and worship because he is so much more powerful and incredible than our limited mortal imaginations can fathom. If you allow yourself to stop putting limits on what God might be capable of, it totally changes how you see God and the story of this earth that He created.

Or its all just made up and humans aren't that special?

Honestly, wish I was a strong believer like some of you guys. Would be cool to believe all this stuff and have that confidence that you "know" God exists and that you're going to heaven. My brain just doesn't work that way. Would make life easier though I think!

Reactions: BoseefusTheVol
Or its all just made up and humans aren't that special?

Honestly, wish I was a strong believer like some of you guys. Would be cool to believe all this stuff and have that confidence that you "know" God exists and that you're going to heaven. My brain just doesn't work that way. Would make life easier though I think!

It really does make things easier. Just trying to fathom how our circulatory system works makes my mind spin. Imagining that everything we see is only due to statistical probability is harder for me to fathom than an all knowing omniscient God that made all of this. People can call me delusional or a wacko all they want. This world is too perfectly positioned and complex to be an accident or a mere statistical probability.

I think people also have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that if God is so powerful and all knowing, then why did he create us. Instead of just being grateful that He did and enjoying the love that He offers, we try to "understand". Like I said before though, finite beings trying to understand the ways, means, and purposes of an infinite being would be like an ant trying to understand how humans can launch a rocket into space and have the boosters return to earth and land upright on a designated landing pad. Heck, I can't even understand how we do that.

Since the debate has been ongoing. I've taken my bible learning and my general education learning and crafted what I believe to be truth. Maybe the more literal bible believer will bash me or correct me. I'll just say upfront though, this is a foundation I don't intend to dig up in my personal walk.

I believe Adam & Eve are the origin of the bloodline to Jesus and their story isn't shared because they were the "first" of mankind period, but rather the first in the bloodline that lead to Jesus himself.
I've read a few things on this, but we really don't have enough information to go backwards. The bloodlines from Genesis 6 are really interesting though.

It really does make things easier. Just trying to fathom how our circulatory system works makes my mind spin. Imagining that everything we see is only due to statistical probability is harder for me to fathom than an all knowing omniscient God that made all of this. People can call me delusional or a wacko all they want. This world is too perfectly positioned and complex to be an accident or a mere statistical probability.

I think people also have trouble wrapping their minds around the idea that if God is so powerful and all knowing, then why did he create us. Instead of just being grateful that He did and enjoying the love that He offers, we try to "understand". Like I said before though, finite beings trying to understand the ways, means, and purposes of an infinite being would be like an ant trying to understand how humans can launch a rocket into space and have the boosters return to earth and land upright on a designated landing pad. Heck, I can't even understand how we do that.
The funny thing is that the reasons you are such a strong believer are the same reasons it's so difficult for me to believe. I just see all of this is incredibly complicated and vast world of ours and realize that our brains are too small and underdeveloped to comprehend the universe and everything involved. So it makes more sense to my brain that a couple thousand years ago some folks wrote these stories to "make sense" of the world and make people comforted. It just seems too simple, easy and convenient to be the actual truth. But maybe it is.

The funny thing is that the reasons you are such a strong believer are the same reasons it's so difficult for me to believe. I just see all of this is incredibly complicated and vast world of ours and realize that our brains are too small and underdeveloped to comprehend the universe and everything involved. So it makes more sense to my brain that a couple thousand years ago some folks wrote these stories to "make sense" of the world and make people comforted. It just seems too simple, easy and convenient to be the actual truth. But maybe it is.
As opposed to the ones writing those stories today trying to explain everything. I agree our brains don't comprehend the universe much at all.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

I get what you are saying. I have struggled with things in the Bible as well. The creation in seven days is the first example that many people bring up. However, it takes removing yourself from limited human thinking and trying to view the creation story from the viewpoint of an infinite being to whom time doesn't matter. God created time, so our construct of time does not apply to God. So maybe when the creation story was recorded, God inspired the writers to write what they wrote because He knew we would never comprehend how much time had truly passed within the time construct to actually bring the earth to a point that it was ready for plants and animals. It is awe inspiring to me to even think about. I understand where you are coming from though. I pray that if you are even slightly open to the idea of God and Jesus's sacrifice for you that He will reveal the truth to you in a way that is best suited for you to understand.

As opposed to the ones writing those stories today trying to explain everything. I agree our brains don't comprehend the universe much at all.

I just warmed up my lunch in a microwave. I don't even understand how it works, let alone the vast workings of the universe. Lol

I just warmed up my lunch in a microwave. I don't even understand how it works, let alone the vast workings of the universe. Lol
giphy.gif

I'm not part of the religious discussion but as to the 'understanding' in general, I'm the exact opposite. Anything that have even the slightest interest in, I want nothing more than to understand it haha. It's just the way I'm wired. But with that, I also enjoy it, it's not a source of frustration for me.

Except for space exploration. Frustrates me knowing how many amazing things will be discovered but I'm not what you would call an example of patience.

Reactions: Devo182 and Vols410
I'm not part of the religious discussion but as to the 'understanding' in general, I'm the exact opposite. Anything that have even the slightest interest in, I want nothing more than to understand it haha. It's just the way I'm wired. But with that, I also enjoy it, it's not a source of frustration for me.

Except for space exploration. Frustrates me knowing how many amazing things will be discovered but I'm not what you would call an example of patience.
Same. The idea of being limited in exploration by the speed of light just makes me angry lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back