Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for us, but this is a pretty bad look for the NCAA after UNC received just a slap on the wrist for the same thing.

Different situation if youre familiar with unc case. Otherwise Miss St would just cite punishment precedence and be done with it. They are not appealing using unc case.

State folks are saying they get to pick the games they sit as long as they sit for enough of them.
They will probably sit them for games they are big favorites or big underdogs. They will play them all in toss up games .. which means they will play against us. MSU also has a bye week before they play us .. so don't mark this one in the W column yet.

They will probably sit them for games they are big favorites or big underdogs. They will play them all in toss up games .. which means they will play against us. MSU also has a bye week before they play us .. so don't mark this one in the W column yet.

Yep. If they get a choice then they won't sit for our game. It's a tossup, on the road, where we're slight favorites (per FPI anyway).

Reactions: Vols All Day
Gucci most certainly has. His car features the finest Corinthian leather (and a cherry wood dash, if you were curious). That and he lives about 15 minutes outside of Hell.
I’ve heard he bathes in baby seal tears, but that’s just what I saw on Reddit, Twitter and CNN so who knows?

Disappointed so many JG doubters in the RF (notice not saying haters)...y'all gonna be bending the knee come December ;) "bendin' so low ya knees hit ya fo'head"

Reactions: Jack Burton
Favorite place on Earth, other than Knoxville in the Fall.

It's good, but I'd take Savannah just over it. And Asheville ofc. Maybe Santa Barbara or Mykonos. But it's definitely up there. Just hate the "no see ums" (sandfleas?), humidity, and yuppies.

Have you ever felt the warm embrace of a leather seat between your legs?
giphy.gif

and so far he has done NOTHING to warrant being drafted so...

Dude Daniel Jones had a 131 qbr last season and got drafted...your bar feels a little high for what is NFL worthy. Scouts look deep in your tape and watch for things beyond just how many games your team won or total passing yards.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
I'm a bit ignorant here, so excuse any dumb questions. But these are genuine questions.

What does 3 years probation really m-e-a-n for a college program? If they do something again, then what? They get the death penalty? No more Ms St football?

Has a program on probation ever had a following incident during the probationary period and, if so, what happened?

Also Dobbs lit it up as a junior AND senior and got drafted to be a back up. You guys really think even if JG has a decent year he thinks he can leave after that ONE good year and get drafted? Maybe into the XFL. MAYBE. Would be ridiculous to leave after this year regardless of stats.

Dobbs lit things up as a runner those years, but he was still really inconsistent as a passer until his SR year, when he jumped to being one of the most efficient passers in the SEC and arguably the best long ball QB in the SEC that year. Heading into 2016, very few expected Dobbs to end up as a 3rd round pick. 2015 was seen by many UT fans as a year where Dobbs’ development as a passer stagnated (though IMO he did take a step forward that year in learning to protect the ball better than he did as a Sophomore). Dobbs was always dynamic as a runner, but he was never a consistent passing threat until his Sr. Year.

jd.JPG

To your point though, part of the reason Dobbs was drafted was because of his physical tools and intangibles. He checks all the boxes there to be an NFL starter. He’s just not the most consistently accurate passer or decision maker. JG obviously isn’t the athlete Dobbs was and doesn’t have the same intangibles either, though.

IMO the big question isn’t whether JG can/will do enough to get drafted in 2020: the question is whether or not he’ll go ahead and take his chance becoming a pro regardless. You don’t have to get drafted for a team to bring you in as a camp arm. It’s not unheard of for UDFA QBs to end up hanging around as 3rd team/scout team QBs for a few years. JMO, but that’s about where JG’s upside tops out. And if that’s the case, then why not say what the hell and take your chances?

Regarding Chaney. The kid from Arkansas, Brandon Allen, had 20 tds his second year with Chaney. Jacob Eason as a freshman is the only qb Chaney hasn't gotten to 20 tds in a season. He had 16 as a freshman with over 2400 yards in Chaney's first year there. The next year Fromm got 24 and then 30 last year.

Another thing I noticed is 2017 is the only year since 2009 that a TE in a Chaney offense has gotten less than 344 yards. Issaac Nauta only had 114 that season. But I think he was battling injury most of the season and only played 8 games. Had 361 the year before and 430 the year after. He's had a TE go for as many as 562 yards in a season, Rivera in 2012. He's had a lot of tight ends drafted too. Luke Stocker, Mychal Rivera, Hunter Henry and Issaac Nauta were all drafted. The only team he didn't get a TE drafted for was Pitt who had J.P. Holtz get 350 yards his year with Chaney and signed as an undrafted free agent the following year. He is still listed on the Redskins roster though I don't think he ever played a regular season game.

Since 2009 he's only had 2 seasons without a thousand yard rusher as well. 2011 had Poole lead the team with 693 and 2012 had Rajion Neal get 708. But Marlin Lane also had 658 that year so he did get some rushing production. And we all know the rushing production he got at Arkansas and Georgia with 3 different RB tandems getting 1,000 yards each in the same season.

I didn't really look at the WRs but we all know he's done good there too. Just saw yer comment about qbs throwing 20 tds and also heard a comment, I believe from Nieds, about some crazy stat he heard about TE stats in Chaney offenses and got curious. Because I remember people claiming he didn't use TEs enough at Georgia. I'm also curious about how much Chaney has thrown to RBs so maybe I'll look at that next. Seems like he always has, but interested in the stats.
Here are receiving stats for running backs in Chaney's offenses (only listing those that went over 100 yards for the season):

2009 Tennessee
Hardesty 25 rec 302 yards
Bryce Brown 10 rec 137 yards
Kevin Cooper 12 rec 102 yards

2010 Tennessee
Poole 22 rec 171 yards
Neal 7 rec 100 yards

2011 Tennessee
Neal 13 rec 269 yards
Poole 21 rec 164 yards
Lane 17 rec 161 yards

2012 Tennessee
Lane 29 rec 228 yards
Neal 19 rec 149 yards
Bartholomew 11 rec 102 yards

2013 Arkansas
Kiero Small 19 rec 128

2014 Arkansas
None over 100 yards

2015 Pitt
None over 100 yards

2016 Georgia
Sony 22 rec 149 yards

2017 Georgia
Swift 17 rec 153 yards
Sony came close with 96

2018 Georgia
Swift 32 rec 297 yards

So his first time around with us he really used rbs as receivers quite a bit. Got away from in at Arkansas and Pitt, maybe because they didn't have those kinda rbs there. And then started going back to it more at Georgia. I know I'm not going out on a limb here but I could see Ty and Gray getting a lot of receiving production under Chaney.
Screw it, I've come this far, I'll do the receivers too. Only those with over 200 yards. I added any tight ends or running backs that went over 200 receiving yards to the bottom of each year and any receivers with notable rushing yards are put in there too.

2009 Tennessee 5 players over 200 yards receiving

Gerald Jones 46 rec 680 yards 4 tds
Denarius 40 rec 540 yards 7 tds
Quintin Hancock 27 rec 298 yards 2 tds

Also had Stocker with 389 and 5tds and Hardesty have 302

2010 Tennessee 6 players over 200 yards receiving

Denarius 47 rec 981 yards 9 tds (also had 82 rushing yards)
Gerald Jones 55 rec 596 yards 4 tds
Justin Hunter 16 rec 415 yards 7 tds
Zach Rogers 14 rec 207 yards 1 td

Also had Stocker with 417 yards and 2 tds and Da'Rick had 117 rushing yards

2011 Tennessee 5 players over 200 yards receiving

Da'Rick 67 rec 1040 yards 9 tds
Hunter 17 rec 314 yards 2 tds
DeAnthony Arnett 24 rec 242 yards 2 tds

Also had Rivera with 344 and Neal with 269 and 1 td each

2012 Tennessee 5 players over 200 yards receiving

Hunter 73 rec 1083 yards 9 tds
Cordarrelle 46 rec 778 yards 5 tds (also had 308 rushing yards)
Zach Rogers 32 rec 491 yards 7 tds

Also had Rivera with 562 and 5 tds and Lane with 228

2013 Arkansas 3 players over 200 yards receiving

Javontee Herndon 31 rec 437 yards 4 tds (also had 60 rushing yards)
Keon Hatcher 27 tds 346 yards 2 tds (also had 140 rushing yards)

Also had TE Hunter Henry with 409 and 4 tds

2014 Arkansas 5 players over 200 yards receiving

Keon Hatcher 43 rec 558 yards 6 tds (also had 112 rushing yards)
Demetrius Wilson 17 rec 220 yards 1 td
Jared Cornelius 18 rec 212 yards 2 tds

Also had TE Henry 513 and 2 tds and TE AJ Derby 303 and 3 tds

2015 Pitt 4 players over 200 yards receiving

Tyler Boyd 91 rec 926 yards 6 tds (he also had 349 yards rushing that year)
Dontez Ford 26 rec 505 yards 2 tds

Also had TE JP Holtz with 350 and 4 tds and TE Scott Orndoff with 244 and 5 tds

2016 Georgia 4 players over 200 yards receiving

Isaiah McKenzie 44 rec 633 yards 7 tds (also had 134 rushing yards)
Terry Godwin 38 rec 397 yards
Riley Ridley 12 rec 238 yards 2 tds (also had 41 rushing yards)

Also had TE Nauta with 361 yards and 3 tds

2017 Georgia 4 players over 200 yards receiving

Javon Wims 45 rec 720 yards 7 tds
Terry Godwin 38 rec 639 yards 6 tds
Mecole Hardman 25 rec 418 yards 4 tds (also had 61 rushing yards)
Riley Ridley 14 rec 218 yards 2 tds

2018 Georgia 6 players over 200 yards receiving

Riley Ridley 44 rec 570 yards 9 tds
Mecole 34 rec 532 yards 7 tds (also had 36 rushing yards)
JJ Holloman 24 rec 418 yards 5 tds
Terry Godwin 22 rec 373 yards 3 tds

Also had TE Nauta with 430 yards and RB Swift with 297
And had 3 other receivers getting good rushing yards WR Tyler Simmons with 131 rushing yards (and 138 rec yards), WR Demetris Robertson 109 rushing yards and WR Jayson Stanley with 81 rushing yards

Sorry for all these long posts guys, just got curious about how Chaney tends to spread the ball around and went down a rabbit hole.
1 year with 3 players over 200 rec yards
3 years with 4 players over 200 rec yards
4 years with 5 players over 200 rec yards
2 years with 6 players over 200 rec yards

One thing I didn't expect to notice was how much he uses receivers in the run game. Byrd and a couple other guys come to mind here for this season. Would be really cool to see him make an impact.

Last edited:
It’s been pretty cool so far, very nice “scenery”!! Been to a few nice roof top bars.
Any recommendations on must sees?
Look up night clubs. There is one that is like 2 or 3 stories, but we got there one night around 8...not much happenin and go drink downstairs. Come back up an hour later and the place was goin wild. Naked lady with a snake wrapped around her, fire stick dancers, great DJ playing old hits, some new ones, it was fun madness. I'm sure it's on yelp and rated well.

Foodwise - don't go to the famous tourist trap places, the food is pretty mediocre tbh. Dig around some or ask locals their favorites.

Dobbs lit things up as a runner those years, but he was still really inconsistent as a passer until his SR year, when he jumped to being one of the most efficient passers in the SEC and arguably the best long ball QB in the SEC that year. Heading into 2016, very few expected Dobbs to end up as a 3rd round pick. 2015 was seen by many UT fans as a year where Dobbs’ development as a passer stagnated (though IMO he did take a step forward that year in learning to protect the ball better than he did as a Sophomore). Dobbs was always dynamic as a runner, but he was never a consistent passing threat until his Sr. Year.

View attachment 219687

To your point though, part of the reason Dobbs was drafted was because of his physical tools and intangibles. He checks all the boxes there to be an NFL starter. He’s just not the most consistently accurate passer or decision maker. JG obviously isn’t the athlete Dobbs was and doesn’t have the same intangibles either, though.

IMO the big question isn’t whether JG can/will do enough to get drafted in 2020: the question is whether or not he’ll go ahead and take his chance becoming a pro regardless. You don’t have to get drafted for a team to bring you in as a camp arm. It’s not unheard of for UDFA QBs to end up hanging around as 3rd team/scout team QBs for a few years. JMO, but that’s about where JG’s upside tops out. And if that’s the case, then why not say what the hell and take your chances?

Dobbs was not drafted in the third round for his arm, the rest I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back