Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
People never think of the cumulative effect of playing in this league vs playing in the others.

Teams like northwestern fake their way to top a 15 ranking. Would be a UK in this conference.

It reminds me of something Spurrier said when referencing schedules and college football in general. He said there was nothing fair about college football and he was absolutely right. The East gets trashed solely because we're being compared to the West but if other conferences and conference divisions were held to that standard they'd look even worse than the SECE and people forget that it wasn't so long ago that the East dominated the West for ~a decade.

When you look at a lot of the teams that are ranked right now and then look at their actual schedules the ranking system is a joke. One of the reasons I preferred the computer approach of the BCS was because it heavily weighed strength of schedule and didn't carry the same bias that human beings do. Florida has played ONE team with a winning record and they lost that game and they're just one of many examples of how screwy the ranking system is another is that we are a big enough win to put TAMU in the playoffs but not good enough to even be in the top 25.

But back to your statement, it's the grind of the SEC that makes it a killer conference. Other conferences simply don't go through the kind of brutal conference schedule that we do.

Reactions: 1 person
That's what UTProf said. "our cruddy teams would beat other conferences' top teams." That's what I was responding to.

Not quite, I said a lot of our cruddy teams would be some of their top ones. There are a ton of cruddy conferences out there. And remember we're in the East -- that makes us cruddy according to the worst division theory.

Probably but I doubt it matters either way. Jalen has received some terrible advice from people around him including the guy that has done nothing but bash Jones on here for the past few weeks. It's going to cost him some money.

He was told as much too. Didn't listen though. I'm picky about my nfl team and I don't want them touching Hurd.

When Northwestern is going 10-2(6-2) then your conference is overrated and your division sucks out loud.

Bingo. And the same thing happened with the Iowa team we beat the brakes off. In a few months time, that same team was a hair away from being a playoff team because of their schedule.

Freak, I swear to God if this damn Hillary Clinton ad directs me to enter my email mid thread browse again....

I'll do nothing but if there was something I could do, I'd do it.

Reactions: 2 people
Not quite, I said a lot of our cruddy teams would be some of their top ones. There are a ton of cruddy conferences out there. And remember we're in the East -- that makes us cruddy according to the worst division theory.

Vandy, Mizzou, SCe, or UK wouldn't be a top team in any P5 conference.

Has he admitted it or are you just connecting the dots?

giphy.gif

Bingo. And the same thing happened with the Iowa team we beat the brakes off. In a few months time, that same team was a hair away from being a playoff team because of their schedule.

Then got boatraced in a bowl game by an actual team. Just like they did when they played the Vols.

Vandy, Mizzou, SCe, or UK wouldn't be a top team in any P5 conference.

I didn't mean to say be but beat and yes in any given year they absolutely could not only beat some of those teams but actually be at the top of those conferences. See Northwestern. Purple Vandy was a childish nickname but it was also spot on. There's not a dime's worth of difference between the two. In fact, Vandy probably played us tougher that year.

Mathews said beyond 3-4 players on the D the others are very average players.

The players playing now, or the players we have that are hurt?

Opening day:

Vereen: above average
Vickers: above average
OBrien: average
Barnett: Elite
JRM: Elite
Kirkland: above average
Sutton: Elite
Moseley: average
Kelly Jr.: above average
Abernathy: average
Gaulden: average