Recruiting Forum: Football Talk XIII

Justin Worley.

We forget how big of a deal it was to snag him from Spurrier, back in the day. (Spurrier pretended not to know who he was, after he picked the Vols over the Gamecocks... which tells me the Ol' Ball Coach was pretty butt-hurt at not landing the best in-state QB in a generation.)

The kid broke a ton of passing records in HS, so Worley can "hum that tater." Two consecutive years in the same offense... getting first team reps in practice for two seasons, in that offense... some gifted tight ends to challenge safeties and create air in a defense... a scrappy, underrated offensive line... Vol fans won't recognize Worley, this season.

We will see quicker reads, more vertical throws... AND... you will see Worley rush the ball on those zone read plays a whole lot more. (The guys behind him aren't freshman disasters, anymore, so the coaches won't be as afraid to risk injury to Worley buy letting him keep the ball and get 5 tough yards on 3rd & 3.)

Get ready to see a Worley become a true "trigger man" for an explosive Big Orange attack, this fall.

(if I turn out to be wrong... I'll just blame Bush. What works for the President, should work for me... right?)

:rock:

Worley did not choose TN over USCe. They did not recruit him hard.

He chose TN over ND and LSU, though Kelly did not even meet him on his visit to ND.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not trying to downplay any of Jashon's progress, but you've for to think that Wiesman would have that spot if he weren't in the hole with some type of injury.

Very possible. Just shows that Wiesman's strength is playing up early.

Thanks for posting that video POA. Is it me, or do the QBs look better in that video than they have the last couple weeks? The throws look more like what you would expect to see during camp, IMO.

Also, what is the drill they are doing at the 7:38 mark (three reps, two DBs)?

If it was the one where one was carrying a pad, it was to work on legal hits against receivers coming across the middle.

From RTI this morning.

The other first team receivers this morning were Josh Smith and Marquez North with Justin Worley and Jalen Hurd in the backfield. Josh Smith is another guy who is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Now that he’s healthy he has really shown in practices that he has the ability to make some big plays at this level.

Lane was in the hole, which is why Hurd was with the ones. No mention of Malone.

Reactions: 1 person
From RTI this morning.

Josh Smith is another guy who is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Now that he’s healthy he has really shown in practices that he has the ability to make some big plays at this level.

Josh Smith can absolutely make some plays at this level. Love hearing that. Thanks jsp

@patrickbrownTFP: SEC Network will air 'best of' games for each team: Tennessee's starts midnight 8/19 : Florida '04, LSU '05, Carolina '13 and Kentucky '07.

What's Malone's deal? He seems like he needs a fire lit under him. I'm sure Butch has done that if that's what he needs.

@patrickbrownTFP: there's no 'worst of' games, but SEC Network will air Derek Dooley's last 2 games as part of Vandy & Missouri's turn if you're so inclined.

@patrickbrownTFP: there's no 'worst of' games, but SEC Network will air Derek Dooley's last 2 games as part of Vandy & Missouri's turn if you're so inclined.

Everyone reading that just threw up a little in their mouths.

I'd rather die than watch Dooley choose to play for overtime again.

Reactions: 2 people
Also interesting that Malone wasn't in the first group of players that had their stripes removed.

Not overly surprising. Kid is really good, just has to earn the removal with consistency and extra effort.

Not overly surprising. Kid is really good, just has to earn the removal with consistency and extra effort.

Considering C Thomas and Wharton haven't either after all the praise they've gotten, you are right.

I really hope we beat down Utah St early, so Peterman can get some live reps. It will be interesting to see how he reacts in front of the crowd again.

VN Store

Back