Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m all for getting the ball to start the 2nd half, so you can try to steal a possession at the end of the 1st. But I’m a firm believer when you’re in a hostile environment you take the ball first if you can, especially if you have a good offense. You have a chance to somewhat kill momentum and the crowd before it gets too crazy

Man scoring on that opening drive set that crowd on fire. So I agree. Maybe could’ve gotten Rattler second guessing himself early trying to play catch up

SCAR playing greatly is a function of UT playing poorly. You don't win road games in the SEC-- and certainly not championships-- bringing that level of effort, production and mental toughness to a high-stakes game.
Do you think we'll see coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball?

Please say yes.

I
Rattler looked like what everyone thought Rattler had the potential to look like coming out of HS. Why it happened last night, idk. Defense obv plays a role. But that dude didn’t miss last night.
I told those watching with me last night that we were in trouble on the third drive. Rattler just hit the zone. Everything was going their way and even his mediocre throws were being caught.

Reactions: MarcoVol
Man scoring on that opening drive set that crowd on fire. So I agree. Maybe could’ve gotten Rattler second guessing himself early trying to play catch up
Tennessee has done an excellent job of not allowing points on opening drives, so I think that’s a big factor into deferring to the 2nd half every time we won the kick. But when you have a chance to silence a hostile crowd you take it every time IMO

Tennessee has done an excellent job of not allowing points on opening drives, so I think that’s a big factor into deferring to the 2nd half every time we won the kick. But when you have a chance to silence a hostile crowd you take it every time IMO

That’s a good point. Didn’t they say that was the first opening points or TD allowed by Vols in like 7 straight games or something?

Reactions: Govolsman98
That’s a good point. Didn’t they say that was the first opening points or TD allowed by Vols in like 7 straight games or something?
I believe it was the first TD we allowed all season on opening drives. We allowed 3 points total and it was to Pitt, we got ball first punted and then Pitt scored a FG.

Agree. Possible 10-2 season with a NY Day bowl exceeded all expectations. Beating Bama and FLA on top of it and everybody on this board would have taken that in August and been happy.

Just demoralizing to lose to Beamer and that weird team with playoffs in our grasp.
People here have a right to be down on this team. It’s how you finish. The moments this season were amazing. But finishing the season with a loss to a terrible team with a chance at the playoffs on the line is going to leave a permanent bad taste in our mouth. You can’t overcome that kind of letdown without some irrational and emotional responses. They need to lock down elite recruits and someone on the defensive side of the room needs the axe. It’s not acceptable and become a trend over the first 2 seasons. We cannot cover and given time any qb can carve us up. Fix it.

9-2 and only held 4 teams to less than 24 points all season.

Tim Banks is the problem, he's the leader of the defense. Kentucky & Akron are the only teams the defense held under 300 total yards

Also Spurrier lost by 42 to TN in his first season (held to just 3 points on offense). Got beat by 24 against Miss State in his 3rd year (only scored 6). Lost by 38 to Nebraska in 95 with a national title on the line (gave up 62). Lost by 27 to Bama in the 99 SEC Title game (held to 7 points). Lost by 39 to Auburn in 2010 when he got South Carolina to the SEC Title game (only scored 17). Lost by 33 in the swamp with a 1 loss SC team playing for Atlanta in the 2012 season (only scored 11 on offense).

Steve Spurrier was a great coach and most of those loses were confusing. Some games you expected it could happen, but to lose them as badly as they did was surprising. If you're the type of coach that puts a ton of points on the board when things go sideways teams are going to try and put a beating on you.

It sucks, the team should have been playing like it mattered because it did. The only way they were going to lose the CFP is if they got beat maybe that was just too much pressure.

1 game and people went from "GIVE THE WHOLE STAFF LIFETIME EXTENSIONS"

to

"FAHR HALF THE STAFF"

The Bassmaster Emotional Wave Effect 😆
Lots of people have been out on the defense. Concerns have been voiced but shouted down because we were winning. Last night, it caught up with us and we got embarrassed on that side of the ball in a BIG way. It's not like the defensive struggles haven't been discussed all season. They have.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back