Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not on the Nico is starting next year just yet but I also don't see anyone that can lead this offense on this team either.For folks to say some magic light is gonna come on and Milton is gonna make us a title contender is Ludacris.I mean if anything all facts point to him not being that guy.Look I want nothing more than Milton to succeed it does nothing but help our team,but yet I'm not naive enuff to declare it based off 1 quarter of game against Balls State..

I get that Nico is the new hot thing coming into class...

but a team that's grinding with Milton for a full 2 seasons and seeing that he's showing up and putting in the work will have no trouble going to work on Saturdays with him. Nico, if anything is gonna have to show up and show out with his work ethic to win over a team that will most likely be somewhat jealous about his NIL situation. They all can say all the right things in interviews etc. but no way are the guys already on campus grinding going to just welcome with open arms a Cali kid who shows up on campus already getting paid more than everyone despite having proven nothing at the college level.

Best case scenario for us is that Joe Milton and Nico are both battling it out for that starting job. (be nice if TJ was in the race too, but TBD on that)

So have we heard whats up with Dee Williams and Jajuan Mitchell? If its not injury ....then it must be missing a team meeting/practice or something?

They do. But we averaged 60 yards per game in penalties last year and both times the ACC refs were on the whistle we had over 125 yards in penalties.

Pitt - 133 yards in penalties
Purdue - 128 yards in penalties

So against ACC refs we had over double the amount of penalty yards we averaged on the year. I’m not gonna go do the math but I would figure without those two games we averaged closer to 40 yards a game in penalties.
Hmmm. Maybe the SEC refs, while trying to not look biased but aware of that, may just let them play without many calls.

Yeah I'm ready to watch their game and see everything but the highlights. Looks like it was a huge night for Pitt though. Mega rivalry (that they should play more of), big atmosphere, broke the attendance record, last years team there to unveil their conference champ banner, other former players and celebs there, talking crap to WVU after the game, big parties after.

I hope they party and brag about it all weekend.
I didn't see the whole game, just the ending, but it looked like WV was giving them a real dogfight. Not sure Pitt wins if not for the WV WR that muffed a catch that hit him in the hands, popping it up for a Pitt DB to intercept it and run it back for the go-ahead score.

They do. But we averaged 60 yards per game in penalties last year and both times the ACC refs were on the whistle we had over 125 yards in penalties.

So against ACC refs we had over double the amount of penalty yards we averaged on the year. I’m not gonna go do the math but I would figure without those two games we averaged closer to 40 yards a game in penalties.

Screw it, I’m off today so did quick math.

Against SEC refs - 50 yards a game in penalties
Against ACC refs - 130.5 yards a game in penalties.

Small sample size on ACC refs but still.

Close to 50% of UT penalty yards last year came against ACC refs… and they only reffed against us twice 😳

I don't have any particular emotional attachment Milton. I'm just calling out the bias. He played well. He made one questionable but *catchable* throw. Unfixable. Hooker makes several *uncatchable* bad throws. Rusty. Let's just be consistent. Hooker looked worse than I expected. Milton looked better. Is that because Hooker overperformed last year and is reverting to the mean? Hope not. Does it mean that Heupel actually knows how to coach a QB and Milton will turn the corner this year? Hope so. I just wish people would look at the 8 great throws and see the possibility, rather than focusing on the one iffy, but not bad, throw and insist that he can't be fixed.
I thought Milton looked good last night. Gives me hope that should something happen to Hooker, we'll be okay. Still say the prettiest play of the night was Milton's TD pass to Holiday.

Hmm sounds very familiar to ole miss last year less smoke and a foot lower..That's my issue with Milton he's still making the same mistakes 5 years later..I'm not gonna torch the dude for one play cause he showed some command and he looked more comfortable but I still believe he's gonna get cooked against Sec defenses but that's jmo and I hope he proves me wrong...

I thought the pass to the TE was very catchable. Sure, it could have been softer, but the proper miss on that throw is deep and not short. I just didn't think the TE got his body and hands around quick enough.

Got some dandy forward progress spots too.

After thinking about our game last night, several observations:
1. Ball State is not very good, There O-line was solid, RB Steele was a competitor, and QB was ok for opening game, but still not very good.
2. We played very basic. I expect more variety in run game next week.
3. Hooker was not on, but he was not off. Next few weeks, he needs to be on.
4. Defense is a lot faster than last year and tackling has improved.
5. Sampson and Squirrel will make some noise before season is done. Elite speed
6. Good win. Banks and Martinez need to decide about corners, in particular Burrell.

Close to 50% of UT penalty yards last year came against ACC refs… and they only reffed against us twice 😳

Yeah, the good thing about SEC refs in this game should be their incompetence impacts both teams rather than another league’s officiating crew being biased against us

After thinking about our game last night, several observations:
1. Ball State is not very good, There O-line was solid, RB Steele was a competitor, and QB was ok for opening game, but still not very good.
2. We played very basic. I expect more variety in run game next week.
3. Hooker was not on, but he was not off. Next few weeks, he needs to be on.
4. Defense is a lot faster than last year and tackling has improved.
5. Sampson and Squirrel will make some noise before season is done. Elite speed
6. Good win. Banks and Martinez need to decide about corners, in particular Burrell.
I’d add Merrill Walker will be a contributing factor in some wins this season and beyond. Might be our best pure route runner.

wow, this needs to make the rounds

200w.gif

Hooker needs to get the throws down a bit lower and a few would have been picked off last night with a better defense. Milton looks a lot better...WR's will need to continue to improve throughout the season, which they will...Our secondary, especially #4 needs a lot of improvement... Loved the team, the game, and thought we did great overall, probably not showing much. Unfortunately I think our defense is going to be our weakest point again, especially the secondary... No push/penetration on the D line, should have had the QB running for his life...
This season may be a repeat of last where we have to outscore our opponent in the end to win, our D can't get off the field on 3rd, even several times last night.

7-5 and we win the bowl game depending on how good their defense is or their passing game. Mark it down...

Reactions: ugg
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back