Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif

Want bee's my last time for a type O

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I’m 43 and have not seen a worse QB for the Vols
Do you remember Jeff Olshevski (I know that I am spelling that one wrong) and Steve Alatorre? I do. But, I do have little faith in JG at this point. He can throw it but I have yet to see evidence that he can be a consistent QB.

Reactions: CurtWatson31
No way we can play worse than 8/31. It's easy to be optimistic if you think about it like that.
With that being said, how many times have we already thought we hit rock bottom only to find it's not? The Tennessee curse just said Hold my Beer when you typed that out and hit post reply.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I don't see any 2019 signees (high school or Juco) or transfers that I can remember making a huge impact on the game. I could definitely be wrong, but it's not like they had some influx of solid collegiate-level players come into their program since last year. UAB (a year or two ago), on the other hand...

See the thing is a lot of 18-22 year olds actually improve yearly just in general, and when you have a staff with zero turnover (regardless of how bad the team was the previous year) you'll see improvement.

You can't on one side praise Mark Stoops in Kentucky for "building it up" and then dismiss the staff for Georgia State for essentially doing the same thing. I think the majority of Saturday was poor preparation, almost like the staff was a week behind who knows we'll see against BYU if it was a mishap of planning or a larger issue.

Ansley looked like a first year play caller at DC, and regardless of who you're playing....you're still UT in Neyland and every team who comes in here that's a Georgia State will have that game circled.

Its hard to imagine that the roster is less talented, the returning players have gone backwards, and the addition of Chaney, Tee, and Ansley have made the staff worse. BYU will help us understand Ga St better.

I don't think being blindsided is the entire issue but it played a very big part Saturday. Its one of the few ways you can lose a game you should sleep walk through and still win.

If coaches do not take an opponent seriously, neither will the players

If the line problems are real, and I believe they are, it’ll make the whole team look bad.

QBs and RBs can’t get better with no time to operate. Linebackers and secondary can’t do their jobs if the line gets zero push or pass rush.
I don't disagree on the importance or the fact that either line is remotely ready for the SEC. And yes they do play a major role in what those behind them are able to do.

Saturday was unbelievable on Friday and I don't remember any calling that shot. It just seems to be to a level that something else was at play if we should roll a team like that.

Sorry boys, I know some are getting the feels now because some players are stepping up now and being vocal--- and I applaud them for it and thank them... but anyone who has played sports knows that at this level, one or two guys will not change the mindset of an entire team longterm.... it is a positive progression of a certain type of culture that everyone must buy into, and I don't buy this coaching staff right now.

This type of losing/behavior/lack of effort could be explained or defended in year one, with new coaches and players on their 2-3rd coach... but this is the year everyone should be on the same page and the others have been shown the door.

I am not buying what some of you are saying now about "Pruitt said how bad this roster was" ... that is a weak ass excuse. You are getting paid millions to mold it into success. You can point in any direction and find teams with far less talent, clicking on all cylinders and kicking ass... because they are united and give a rip... We have top to bottom more raw talent on our roster than GA St., yet they were a team that had bought into what their coach was selling and truly believed they would whip us, and THEY DID. We did not rise up, face adversity, we simply rolled over, let time run out, and then went out on the strip...

The players were over-rotated, didn't know what to do or where to line up, and generally didn't give a crap... many players didn't get rips they seemed to deserve and other got reps (Kurott got plenty of reps after threatening to transfer and Simmons didn't play??? WTF)

This staff is the problem. Simply put, they are paid to develop the talent they have and create the right culture of winning in the program that makes everyone want to be a part of and buy in.... and clearly they have not done so.

I will be very interested to see what happens Saturday. I truly hope we see a different team, but history and law of averages says we probably won't, which will totally suck. This is killing recruiting and we will not get out of the ditch for another 2-3 years. Maybe the universe will feel sorry for us and light a fire under these kids and make them care about the Power T they have on their uniforms, and fight for the pride of wearing it... I don't think the staff has yet.

Edit---- JG in year 3 is one of the poorest developed QB's in the country coming out of high school with that high of a ranking... sit the kid and give someone else who cares a try...
I don't agree with you very often, but I agree with most of this. I don't think this team is dead, but it is bleeding. It can be staunched, but I do want to see some evidence that people want to try and stop the bleeding. We have some people who do and who can, but we need to get those guys on the field.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I think they should take off the red/green jersey or whatever color they use for the QB in practice, and just make JG live all week in practice. IMO he needs real bullets flying at him to get true game prep. Not that our defense could accurately simulate that either at this point...whatever.
He took enough hits last year for a career. I don't think that has anything to do with his problems.

I don't disagree on the importance or the fact that either line is remotely ready for the SEC. And yes they do play a major role in what those behind them are able to do.

Saturday was unbelievable on Friday and I don't remember any calling that shot. It just seems to be to a level that something else was at play if we should roll a team like that.
O line wasn’t as bad as people were making them out to be. They blocked well for the majority of the game and 2 of the sacks were on JG. Now on the other hand the D line was atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back