Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about the cross training. That being said I think it is done more out of necessity to mask deficiencies and depth issues. Many times I felt the defensive lineman were in positions to make plays they just couldn’t. How many times did we think we were gonna sack their QB to lose containment and him scramble for 7 or 8 yards? How many times did their offensive lineman push our defensive lineman backwards and their RB’s fall forward for 2 or 3 more yards?

Butch managed 3 winning seasons, 2 of which were 9 wins. Not saying he was a great HC, but obviously he had some talent here. That's an old tired excuse. This is Year 2 and they've had 2 full off-seasons now, Mack Brown took a 2 win team and beat South Carolina opening night in his first time returning...and UNC didn't have back to back top 20 recruiting classes.

CJP has no excuses for losing that game, none. Absolutely no way in hell is Georgia State playing with a better roster. Defense looked lost, and unmotivated. JG pulled another JG game, the offense at least looked like it has paid attention during practice.

30 points isn't exactly amazing, but against Georgia State it should be more than enough...I mean wtf happened? JG is obviously not got "it" as a QB. Most the sacks this game were solely on JG holding the ball too damn long or not being able to read obvious blitz. One blitz Gray didn't pick up well, but JG was staring the guy down how in the hell did he not see it coming?

Last edited:
Anybody who thought this was a 5-7 team is at 4-8 or 3-9 now. Nobody predicted a L here. The Vols were favored by 25 points against a team that had never beaten a P5 team. And they lost by 8 points-- and it could've been even uglier.
What’s the mood inside right now?

Maybe Muschamp will get a hot seat, that would makee pretty happy.

Actually, I would love to see him stay there. They'll never amount to much with him there. OTOH, if they go our route and fire coaches every few years the same will happen, so win-win either way.

There is nothing about his response that gives me any hope for the future. It's high schoolish. He's not watching the same game I am. He thinks the players were ready to play The coaches knew the schedule, they had film on Georgia State. It was the same O as last season. They played the same D scheme. What exactly was he looking at that just made it so difficult for his talented players to compete against that mighty opponent? What O-line techniques and blocking schemes just blew our poor little guys' minds on how to line up, much less beat a Georgia State lineman and make a tackle at or behind the line? An unbalanced look? Like that's never happened before in all football history.

Wish I hadn't read that.

Nah, glad I know. Thanks for posting.

To be fair, there is nothing that he says that makes anyone feel better. Just isn’t.

He’s playing a whole new DL, a freshman LB, and a freshman CB. I don’t know enough about scheme to know about a formation causing problems.

We know Pruitt schematically knows the game. That hasn’t changed. You just hope he can get these players to improve.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I almost feel like the program legitimately needs to be shuttered for a year or two, UAB style, and then just start completely over. Wipe the slate clean. Recruit all new players.

Not saying it's all on the players. But something has to change. Drastic moves need to be made.

Butch won managed 3 winning seasons, 2 of which were 9 wins. Not saying he was a great HC, but obviously he had some talent here. That's an old tired excuse. This is Year 2 and they've had 2 full off-seasons now, Mack Brown took a 2 win team and beat South Carolina opening night in his first time returning...and UNC didn't have back to back top 20 recruiting classes.

CJP has no excuses for losing that game, none. Absolutely no way in hell is Georgia State playing with a better roster. Defense looked lost, and unmotivated. JG pulled another JG game, the offense at least looked like it has paid attention during practice.

30 points isn't exactly amazing, but against Georgia State it should be more than enough...I mean wtf happened? JG is obviously not got "it" as a QB. Most the sacks this game were solely on JG holding the ball too damn long or not being able to read obvious blitz. One blitz Gray didn't pick up well, but JG was staring the guy down how in the hell did he not see it coming?
Well said. I agree completely. It clearly shows what a true head coach can do. Not saying Pruitt can't get there, but he's no Mack Brown by a long shot.

If Derrick Barnett was playing on this team would he have just sat down and not say squat. He'd step his game up and make a play and fire that damn defense up. Leadership. You either have it or you dont. Call JG a leader if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back