Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how good the seats are they don't say anything about what sections would be available.
The way they do it is offer up the remaining seats that don't get purchased prior to the game. In basketball it was 48hrs. I suspect it may be a bit longer for football as so many people travel for games. As one would expect, the big games will be worse seats.

The way they do it is offer up the remaining seats that don't get purchased prior to the game. In basketball it was 48hrs. I suspect it may be a bit longer for football as so many people travel for games. As one would expect, the big games will be worse seats.
Like you said, 280 and no donation is a huge price difference even for bad seats during big games.
If you're used to the better seats and pay the donation, you'll probably be disappointed.
If you usually don't a chance for season tickets, this would be a great opportunity.

Your welcome fellow Cubs fan. If your avatar was St Louis Cardinals I would have recommended Krystal
LOL, I thought it was you, but was not sure. I had the pasta messina (chicken, mushrooms, peppers and shrimp in a tomato and oil marinara with flat noodles). Really delicious. And a beer.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Good morning friends, I promise this is my last self promoting post but I just moved my book over to Amazon as Amazon is better in every way. If you haven't gotten a chance yet, check it out, its also available in the kindle version thanks!:

When I click that link it just takes me to the main Amazon page. Is it supposed to take you to your book?

Like you said, 280 and no donation is a huge price difference even for bad seats during big games.
If you're used to the better seats and pay the donation, you'll probably be disappointed.
If you usually don't a chance for season tickets, this would be a great opportunity.

It’s a pretty good deal. The $280 basically gets you can account at AllVols.com to be able to purchase each home game. You log into your account each Monday and choose your tickets you want to purchase and the tickets are available up until Noon Friday. Would probably help with getting tickets to the big games that are usually harder to get or a lot more expensive on the secondary ticket market.

I’m thinking about doing it next season but can’t swing it this year with my work schedule.

This is a fascinating article in the athletic about how the new 25 hard cap and transfer portal have created way more supply than demand and hundreds of kids haven't been able to find programs to transfer to. Looks like as they get more educated on how it works less kids will wanna transfer and the market will balance out in the future. For everyone who thought this transfer portal was going to ruin football I think this shows that the pendulum just swung too far this year and it will be an outlier.

The fuzzy math of the NCAA Transfer Portal

The portal has become an open marketplace struggling with an extremely basic issue: too much supply, limited demand. At just the Power 5 level, more than 450 players have entered the portal, according to 247Sports’ transfer portal tracker. And at the moment, 240 of them are uncommitted. Including Group of 5 players, the total available is far more than 400.

A more telling reality check from this portal era: Of the more than 450 looking to leave Power 5 schools, only 20 percent have ended up at another Power 5 program. Upon hearing that percentage, Edwards paused and then replied: “I’m actually gonna go tell our team that. I want to make sure they understand this, because I don’t want a kid to be blindsided.”

Ninety-two players have transferred from one Power 5 school to another. Perhaps more alarming, as few as 65 have found a spot at a Group of 5 school. It would seem as if there are far more opportunities out there at the Group of 5 level for players on the move. But there aren’t.

Last edited:
Nathan Niehaus Part I

TL;dnr: It's an "essay" so you may want to just keep scrolling.

Coaches everywhere sometimes pump up a player at a position of need to fans I suppose to allay concerns and ensure that revenue continues to flow. I think Coleman Thomas at right tackle was one our more recent and egregious examples but there have been many others and not just with our program.

Here’s the thing. No matter how many times the local media lobbed up an opportunity for Pruitt to praise one or another of his players last year he almost always refused to swing. Kyle Phillips was a good example. Pruitt was always complimentary but he seemed to never say he was a good player. He was a good student. He did everything the staff asked him to do but he seemed averse to complementing his overall play on the field. The same with Jennings. I think when asked about Jennings his standard answer was that Jennings really loves Tennessee. He said that so many times I figure people who talk in their sleep were saying the same thing.

So this spring he’s really high on Nathan Niehaus. The game has really slowed down for Guarantano. He still sometimes evades dishing out praise to various guys when prompted by the media so what do we make of this? I mean Jaylen McCollough picks off two passes in the Orange and White game and I’m thinking he’s going to get the game ball, especially since we’re in such desperate need of ball hawks in the back end. In the postgame media session the local guys lob a perfect setup for Pruitt to anoint Jaylen a bona fide Heisman candidate and instead he back hands it with, “I think he only had one other interception in all of spring practice.” Thanks Coach.

I can buy that the game has slowed down for Guarantano. That would be a normal progression in his development at this stage of his career but Nathan Niehaus? He’s a Sunday player? Really? I know we need a backup right tackle and I don’t think anyone is going to buy Tatum as our savior for that role but Nathan Niehaus? Really?

I mean he did seem to do a good job at right guard last year before he got banged up near the end of the season so maybe it’s true. The numbers say that 6% of 3-stars develop into NFL draft picks so since we have I think 46 3-stars on the roster for this year that would suggest that perhaps 3 of them could end up getting drafted one day. Maybe Nathan is one of those 3. Hope so because we need a backup at right tackle.

Nathan was listed at 259 lbs. on his recruiting profile coming out of high school. On the 2016 roster for his freshman year he was listed at 295 lbs. Yeah, okay. I don’t think they were lying exactly, more like they “inadvertently” switched the order of the 5 and 9. In 2017, he “dropped” to 285 lbs. and inched back up to 287 lbs. to start fall camp last year as a redshirt sophomore. Then just a few months later at the beginning of spring this year he’s added a whopping 17 lbs. of mass and is up to 304. This past year the kid has evidently been working his ass off so I could see where Pruitt is coming from. Maybe he’ll turn out to be a Sunday player after all. A work ethic like that is bound to take you places. jmo.
Yes. At the beginning of camp 2016 , Nate WAS 295. But the staff wanted him to take bad weight off and started building him back up slowly with more muscle. Then he was injured for 2017 and was unable to participate in most workouts and strength training for almost the entire season. He obviously lost more weight and was actually considering switching to tight end before Pruitt came on board. For last years spring game, he was around 270. Through hard work and a great strength and conditioning program (finally), he is now over 300 lbs. We will see what this season brings.

This is a fascinating article in the athletic about how the new 25 hard cap and transfer portal have created way more supply than demand and hundreds of kids haven't been able to find programs to transfer to. Looks like as they get more educated on how it works less kids will wanna transfer and the market will balance out in the future. For everyone who thought this transfer portal was going to ruin football I think this shows that the pendulum just swung too far this year and it will be an outlier.

The fuzzy math of the NCAA Transfer Portal
I think where it will effect things is position swaps. Fulmer mentioned this during the O&W game.
Sometimes coaches see the better option (like Al Wilson and 100 others) and the kids may not see it. If they're really talented, another school will take the kid at the position the kid wants, even if it isn't what's best for him in the long run.
Many complained when first switched, only to later credit Fulmer's decision for making their NFL careers.

doesn't make any sense. why would a Mexican Restaurant be named 'playground?' Any here fluent in Spanish?

Because El Patio is in the Lowes parking lot and you can get everything needed to build a patio at Lowes.

My 14 year old learned Spanish (the insults and curse words only) to trash talk in soccer. Guess he found out they were calling him "The Red Bi-ch" out there...

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Yes. At the beginning of camp 2016 , Nate WAS 295. But the staff wanted him to take bad weight off and started building him back up slowly with more muscle. Then he was injured for 2017 and was unable to participate in most workouts and strength training for almost the entire season. He obviously lost more weight and was actually considering switching to tight end before Pruitt came on board. For last years spring game, he was around 270. Through hard work and a great strength and conditioning program (finally), he is now over 300 lbs. We will see what this season brings.
You've always brought a lot of good info on Nate, do you know him by any chance?

SIAP.....

The last couple of seasons the University has offered the "Vol Pass" for basketball. Its essentially a season ticket but you don't have the same seat every week. A few days before the game, you get an email and you jump on the site and select your seat(s). Obviously the best seats go first so the quicker you get on line the better your seats.

Anyway, the University is offering the Vol Pass for football. $280/ticket for the season is pretty dang good with no donation required.

VOL PASS FOR FOOTBALL ON SALE NOW - University of Tennessee Athletics
This is a game changer.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back