Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just happened to have a graphic for illustrative purposes. Surprised?

Last year most of our guys we had been counting on coming out of fall camp had to miss playing time/games at some point due to injuries or health issues. As you note, we were also starting out undersized with many of our guys. We were also relatively young and learning a new system. I can't imagine we won't be better this year with improved health, increased talent, increased size, more depth, and more experience. The only issue might be the youth of our 2 starting tackles which given their talent level I expect them to grow up pretty quick. jmo.

View attachment 205675
Pink highlight = health or injury issues, Red font = medically retired or transferred
You make me smile! Don’t ever stop!

Bowden and Turner are still there. Only lost Bone, who was inconsistent from outside.

Apparently bone shot a close mid to high 30% from 3 from what someone stated on this forum but I think that was on not very many shot attempts.Bowden is hesitant and turner is inconsistent im not comfortable with those two,I’m more comfortable with Bowden than turner though to be clear.

Rob Lewis made a comment in the chat Monday night on VQ that Josiah James is a better PG today than Jordan Bone and that Turner was just as good or better by the end of the season. He said the PG that picked VT over UT did so because of playing time. He'll be starting at VT and was being brought in for depth at UT. Said that Turner and James will handle PG role just fine.

What’s your personal opinion on these comments?..because personally I think it’s horse Sh** 😭😂 you can’t coach speed,if James comes in and can’t even manage the offense in anyway shape or form that bone did then this whole statement is trash from rob lewis.bone was really really good at distributing the ball and making things happen,turner couldn’t do that at all,he just wanted to shoot all of the time while making bad plays.the (LSU) game is a good example.

Not very savvy. Honesty is a sap move.
You only expose your apparent position to trick others, aka level them. Hopefully that is the case. If that is actually their true intention, then stakeholders need to rethink who is running the show.

Inciarte never gets his job back. Austin Riley era begins.
Did you forget who is the manager of the Braves? I’m sure Snitker will manage to talk himself into believing Riley isn’t ready, and it’s best for Inciarte to stay in the starting lineup.

Nathan Niehaus Part I

TL;dnr: It's an "essay" so you may want to just keep scrolling.

Coaches everywhere sometimes pump up a player at a position of need to fans I suppose to allay concerns and ensure that revenue continues to flow. I think Coleman Thomas at right tackle was one our more recent and egregious examples but there have been many others and not just with our program.

Here’s the thing. No matter how many times the local media lobbed up an opportunity for Pruitt to praise one or another of his players last year he almost always refused to swing. Kyle Phillips was a good example. Pruitt was always complimentary but he seemed to never say he was a good player. He was a good student. He did everything the staff asked him to do but he seemed averse to complementing his overall play on the field. The same with Jennings. I think when asked about Jennings his standard answer was that Jennings really loves Tennessee. He said that so many times I figure people who talk in their sleep were saying the same thing.

So this spring he’s really high on Nathan Niehaus. The game has really slowed down for Guarantano. He still sometimes evades dishing out praise to various guys when prompted by the media so what do we make of this? I mean Jaylen McCollough picks off two passes in the Orange and White game and I’m thinking he’s going to get the game ball, especially since we’re in such desperate need of ball hawks in the back end. In the postgame media session the local guys lob a perfect setup for Pruitt to anoint Jaylen a bona fide Heisman candidate and instead he back hands it with, “I think he only had one other interception in all of spring practice.” Thanks Coach.

I can buy that the game has slowed down for Guarantano. That would be a normal progression in his development at this stage of his career but Nathan Niehaus? He’s a Sunday player? Really? I know we need a backup right tackle and I don’t think anyone is going to buy Tatum as our savior for that role but Nathan Niehaus? Really?

I mean he did seem to do a good job at right guard last year before he got banged up near the end of the season so maybe it’s true. The numbers say that 6% of 3-stars develop into NFL draft picks so since we have I think 46 3-stars on the roster for this year that would suggest that perhaps 3 of them could end up getting drafted one day. Maybe Nathan is one of those 3. Hope so because we need a backup at right tackle.

Nathan was listed at 259 lbs. on his recruiting profile coming out of high school. On the 2016 roster for his freshman year he was listed at 295 lbs. Yeah, okay. I don’t think they were lying exactly, more like they “inadvertently” switched the order of the 5 and 9. In 2017, he “dropped” to 285 lbs. and inched back up to 287 lbs. to start fall camp last year as a redshirt sophomore. Then just a few months later at the beginning of spring this year he’s added a whopping 17 lbs. of mass and is up to 304. This past year the kid has evidently been working his ass off so I could see where Pruitt is coming from. Maybe he’ll turn out to be a Sunday player after all. A work ethic like that is bound to take you places. jmo.

Nathan Niehaus Part II

TL;dnr: It's an "essay" so you may want to just keep scrolling.

From Patrick Brown at 247Sports during Spring practice:
Nathan Niehaus was an afterthought on Tennessee's offensive line going into the 2018 season.

The Cincinnati native had yet to make his debut for the Vols in his first two seasons with the program, redshirting in 2016 and sitting out the next season due to an injury.

Then star left tackle Trey Smith turned his ankle in the first half of Tennessee's season opener against West Virginia in Charlotte last September, and the Vols turned to the unlikely Niehaus while Smith was on the sideline getting his ankle re-taped and trying to walk off the minor injury.

Niehaus only got a handful of snaps in relief before Smith returned to help the Vols finish off a lengthy touchdown drive, but it set the stage for him to become a bigger factor up front for Tennessee later in the season.

“It was great to get the butterflies out of my stomach and just get out there and just let it fly,” Niehaus recalled on Wednesday. “Once I got out there, got a couple plays in and got out, it felt good. Then a couple of weeks later I’m starting, and everything with the unit as a whole, I felt a lot better connected with the guys and we all took strides together each week, scouting reports and talking about the opponent.

“They definitely helped me out a lot, and now that we’re all here together a year later, I think we can get started.”

Six weeks after his cameo against the Mountaineers, Niehaus was in the starting lineup at right guard for Tennessee's memorable upset win at Auburn, and he remained there for the next six games, helping the Vols knock off top-15 Kentucky a month later. When Niehaus missed the Vanderbilt game with an injury, his absence was noticeable. Niehaus displayed his versatility by playing well inside at guard after working primarily at right and left tackle during practice most of the season.

After another productive round of winter workouts, Niehaus is leading the competition to be Tennessee's starting right tackle in 2019.

Whether he ultimately wins the starting job or not, the progress Niehaus has made in his career is remarkable. He showed up on campus as the definition of a project at around 260 pounds and with limited offensive line experience having played mostly tight end in his high school career. However, Tennessee's previous coaching staff loved his athleticism and viewed him as an ideal prospect as a spread-offense tackle once he had time to develop.

Except he never really got the opportunity. Niehaus redshirted his first season on campus. He spent most of his second season watching instead of practicing due to injury issues.

Those trials are in the past now for a player who's gotten considerably bigger (he's listed at 6-foot-6 and 304 pounds) and noticeably stronger in the past year as one of the top beneficiaries of Craig Fitzgerald's strength and conditioning program.

“It was hard, definitely took a mental and physical toll on me,” Niehaus said of his first two seasons. “But with the help of Coach Fitz and our nutritionist, Rachel (Pfister), they definitely got me developed, put on the extra weight. I’m much stronger. I feel like I still have the same athletic ability, same movement, just different weight and knowledge.

“Now I feel like I can help contribute a lot better.”

You only expose your apparent position to trick others, aka level them. Hopefully that is the case. If that is actually their true intention, then stakeholders need to rethink who is running the show.
Not TRICK to not reveal. Maybe we have the same point...it’s early.

Did you forget who is the manager of the Braves? I’m sure Snitker will manage to talk himself into believing Riley isn’t ready, and it’s best for Inciarte to stay in the starting lineup.
I know his flaws...I would counter with Albies, Swanson (maybe) and Acuna.

Reactions: drvenner
SIAP.....

The last couple of seasons the University has offered the "Vol Pass" for basketball. Its essentially a season ticket but you don't have the same seat every week. A few days before the game, you get an email and you jump on the site and select your seat(s). Obviously the best seats go first so the quicker you get on line the better your seats.

Anyway, the University is offering the Vol Pass for football. $280/ticket for the season is pretty dang good with no donation required.

VOL PASS FOR FOOTBALL ON SALE NOW - University of Tennessee Athletics

Last edited:
Apparently bone shot a close mid to high 30% from 3 from what someone stated on this forum but I think that was on not very many shot attempts.Bowden is hesitant and turner is inconsistent im not comfortable with those two,I’m more comfortable with Bowden than turner though to be clear.

Admiral and Bowden were the best 3 shooters based on % & how often they shot them. Turner had a terrible slum for awhile and it killed his %

1558010026422.png

What’s your personal opinion on these comments?..because personally I think it’s horse Sh** 😭😂 you can’t coach speed,if James comes in and can’t even manage the offense in anyway shape or form that bone did then this whole statement is trash from rob lewis.bone was really really good at distributing the ball and making things happen,turner couldn’t do that at all,he just wanted to shoot all of the time while making bad plays.the (LSU) game is a good example.
I was surprised by his comments a little but I trust Rob, he follows bball very closely, much more than I do. I think his main point was that missing on Cone wasn't a huge deal, he was being brought in for depth and wasn't going to start over Turner, Bowden or James. And that all 3 of those guys, especially Turner and James are capable PG's.

You are going to have to be comfortable with those two because they will get a lot of minutes and take shots. Bowden wasn’t hesitant the second half of last year.

Reactions: UTSuave’
SIAP.....

The last couple of seasons the University has offered the "Vol Pass" for basketball. Its essentially a season ticket but you don't have the same seat every week. A few days before the game, you get an email and you jump on the site and select your seat(s). Obviously the best seats go first so the quicker you get on line the better your seats.

Anyway, the University is offering the Vol Pass for football. $280/ticket for the season is pretty dang good with no donation required.

VOL PASS FOR FOOTBALL ON SALE NOW - University of Tennessee Athletics

I wonder how good the seats are they don't say anything about what sections would be available.

I think Ron was right on. Our back court will be better this Fall than it was last year. I think Bone saw the writing on the wall and jumped for the NBA while he was still the starter. Good move by Bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back