Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were the national champs last year your playcalling decision was between passing (8.2 YPA) or rushing (6.55 YPC), leaving a 1.65 YPP margin between passing and rushing. Given more consistency in rushing over the wide variance and unpredictability in passing, this is a pretty marginal decision either way. Can't really go wrong with either decision. On the turnover side, they lost 9 fumbles and 8 interceptions. Again, no real difference. They passed 48% of the time and ran 52%.

If you were UT last year your playcalling decision was between passing (7.9 YPA & 34th nationally) or rushing (3.7 YPC and 108th nationally), leaving a WHOPPING 4.2 YPP margin between our 2 options. Furthermore, we lost 11 fumbles and had 5 interceptions.

Despite all of this, we decided to run approximately 6 out of every 10 plays. Really mind boggling when you think about how big a disadvantage it was for us to run.

I really hope Chaney has more common sense than our playcaller last year did. We absolutely killed ourselves with a run heavy offense and rarely gave ourselves a chance to succeed because of it. Leaning on plays that only gain you 3.7 YPP and lead to 1 turnover a game is just simply a losing formula. Many people say Chaney leans on the personnel and what they are good at. I think he will quickly figure out a better play distribution and give us a chance to succeed this year. And/or I just hope our rushing offense is light years better. If we aren't gaining at least 4.5 YPC then we need to really rethink if we need to be running much at all. The NFL is already trending toward passing more and more and more and have shown why it is optimal for many teams. College is a bit different, but if we can't run well we certainly shouldn't shame Chaney for being "pass happy" when it is a perfectly fine strategy and even optimal in many situations.

I don't have any expertise or inside knowledge, but judging on the kind of guy CJP is and the type of OC Helton is, I'd say that was Pruitt kind of forcing his will on the team.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Oh please with the amateur analysis. You declare things on here with a really officious manner. Is this board your “social circle”? If so? Fix yourself. My original comment’s intent was light hearted as well. Visual image of Chaney trying to decipher WHO exactly was apologizing to him for comments on WHAT message board was funny to me.

Very happy with my life situation and job but if I wasn’t, I’m positive that floating the name of some young guy who calls himself Uncle Hank is a sure way not to land it. 😉

Sure bud. Don’t misplace your anger on me. Good things will come your way just gotta be patient

Reactions: TheMagnificantOne
Best year we had since Fulmer so yes id take a win vs florida. Every. Year.

Yeah but for those 2 losses? Everyone loved winning that and the UGA game but people were ready to fire Butch when he lost to SC and Vandy in that same year. I think losses can be and often are as relative as who you beat. Some wins/losses are quality and some are either meaningless or terrible.

Yeah but for those 2 losses? Everyone loved winning that and the UGA game but people were ready to fire Butch when he lost to SC and Vandy in that same year. I think losses can be and often are as relative as who you beat. Some are quality and some are either meaningless/terrible.
Nothing in my mind compares to beating Florida.

The Back Nine: UF football team still working way up to elite level
By Pat Dooley
May 7, 2019
The Back Nine comes at you after a two-week absence to get my second knee replacement. I’m now three-quarters bionic. Going through airports is going to be rough.

10. Bear with me on this because I’ve been under a lot of medication lately, but it feels to me like Florida fans — and that includes players and former players — are getting awfully cocky over a 10-win season. Last week’s “14,000” campaign — the number of days since Georgia won a national title — was another indication of that. Yes, you want some swagger and confidence and it has been pretty clear Dan Mullen — who has a little of both Urban Meyer and Steve Spurrier in him — has focused on the Bulldogs as Florida’s top rivalry game, but it might be smarter to pick on a program that you’ve beaten more than three times in the last eight meetings. It’s not even that UF fans are waking a sleeping bulldog, Georgia is woke and would have played in two straight national playoffs if someone had hidden the special teams playbook from Kirby Smart. There is no question anybody with a right mind would prefer the last 30 years of Florida football over the last 30 years of Georgia football. But the truth is that Georgia is where Florida wants to be. And the Gators are not going to get there on social media.
Concur. As my Psych Mentor said "It takes as long to get well as it took to get sick." Between the last 2 coaches, we: Had the longest No Losing Streak in the SEC broken, Lost to Vandy. Lost to a FCS team, and were offensive offensively. We're not BACK yet, but the arrow is leaping upward.
Yeah, let's cool the jets on "Bring On uga".
Can’t disagree with Dooley on this one.
As quick as I am to criticize Dooley and his apparent obsession with undervaluing our team, I think this article is more to the point that our 14,000 days ridicule rings a bit hollow at a time when they are riding higher than we are and have beaten us solidly back to back.
I also agree with him, I don't get all the social media chatter. I feel good about how things are going, however I think we take a small step back this year due to the OL and even if we had a full OL returning this is petty stuff. I don't want us to be bama or Clemson, but I want their success and you don't see them doing this crap.
I'm anything but a Dooley fan, but the better part of valor is winning first, crowing about it afterward.
How about just keep your effing yap shut while you focus on beating that team? I’ve heard enough about ducks pulling trucks while we get our asses kicked to last me a lifetime.

Guys,
Love your families today. Love the gift of life. This morning we lost another friend under the age of 50 to cancer. That’s two sub 50 friends in the last five months. Another young relative of mine in early 30’s found out Monday she has stage 4 lung cancer. I am a pretty mentally tough guy but tears are flowing today. All women and lung and colon and neither were smokers. You never know.
Sending love out to everyone impacted by the fight against cancer.

Highly doubt it

UnfortunateDiligentGosling-size_restricted.gif

I don't have any expertise or inside knowledge, but judging on the kind of guy CJP is and the type of OC Helton is, I'd say that was Pruitt kind of forcing his will on the team.

Hmm yes I'm afraid so. I never got how Helton, from the Brohm school of thought, turned in that kind of work. But I also think he was young and probably bent to Pruitt's will. Chaney will not. And I think Pruitt will trust him to do his own thing.

Reactions: ChismsHeadband
Hmm yes I'm afraid so. I never got how Helton, from the Brohm school of thought, turned in that kind of work. But I also think he was young and probably bent to Pruitt's will. Chaney will not. And I think Pruitt will trust him to do his own thing.

I was checking in on Helton a few days ago and he's announced he is running Air Raid at WKU this year. Don't know how well it's going to work but that's his plan. He brought in a number of additional WRs and while they already had a couple QBs with experience to work with he brought in the starting QB from last year's Arkansas team as a grad transfer I guess hoping to find at least one guy out of the bunch to make it work. Storey didn't do so hot at Arkansas but he got a ton of experience and won't be playing against an SEC schedule if he wins the job. WKU only won 3 games last year. The thinking is they can get to 6 this year. I think they'll do better than that. jmo.

We're building relationships........with high school coaches. We're getting exposure for their players. They appreciate that. One of these days, and for many that day may never come, they may have someone we really want. We'll be in a position to call in the favor.

View attachment 204682
What is the meaning of taking Ebony Jackson and Jimmy Calloway then?

In my opinion, Ebony is over rated and he is not even borderline 4 star and Calloway seems ranked about where I would rank him maybe an 87 or 88 but not a 4 star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back